Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Possible Configuration and Options, what will you order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although many have taken issue with some of the assumptions used in the article - especially cell and pack size vs. range - I thought it overall to be a well thought-out exercise in what the car could be, especially given the utter vacuum of info when it was written almost a year ago.

I was more or less pointing at those prices. Right now, there's an $18,000 difference between the S70 and S90D. Those prices are basically saying the cost of going to a bigger battery and dual motors will be halved by the time the Model 3 is released (granted different sized batteries). I'd MAYBE throw a bone at the battery cost being significantly decreased by the time the 3 rolls out. But half the cost for going to dual motors? Let's just say I'd be absolutely ECSTATIC if going to a Model 3xD only costs $2500...

This thread depresses me a bit.

My only add ons will likely be cold weather package, maybe pano roof, and maybe AP.

All you guys adding all these options means even if I'm first in line on 31st at my local store on east coast, I'll be way at the end of the line.

Increasing the range seems to be a common choice for options people are looking for, so if bigger battery and going dual-motors affect the critical path of when you get your car delivered, prepare to be disappointed. :( For the record, my priorities are also pano roof and auto-pilot. But if those aforementioned range options go for the price mentioned in that picture, I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't be compelled to add those options on too....

This thread depresses me a bit.

My only add ons will likely be cold weather package, maybe pano roof, and maybe AP.

All you guys adding all these options means even if I'm first in line on 31st at my local store on east coast, I'll be way at the end of the line.

Chin up! Look at it this way.. The majority of people who own cars spend less than $35000 on a new car. According to Google, the average cost of a new car in the United States is $33,543. The Model 3 is meant as Tesla's first affordable car, targeting a much wider customer base than the Model S/X, or a Tesla forum. You're seeing a very skewed perspective of interest in the Model 3 from this group. The vast majority of people who reserve and purchase a Model 3 over the next 2+ years will not be spending $50k+ on their Model 3. And if Tesla manages to garner as much media attention as they hope to, plenty of orders from as-of-yet oblivious future members of the EV Revolution will fall behind yours because you paid attention and put yourself well ahead of the curve. Ordering yours ASAP on the 31st will still likely put you in front of the majority of eventual Model 3 owners. You may not have the first one on the road, but you'll still save yourself a whole lot of waiting!

Here's my well thought out options (all prices assuming 30% reduction from Model S, except Supercharger access which is a shot in the dark):

Tesla Model 3 Configuration Costs

Necessary for Tax Credit

Battery Included PXXD
Dual Motor Included
Subtotal $ 23,100.00

Nice to Have Options\May Be Necessary for Tax Credit
Autopilot $ 1,750.00
Premium Interior $ 2,100.00
Smart Air Suspension $ 1,750.00
Hi-Fi Sound $ 1,750.00
Supercharger Access $ 1,750.00
Subtotal $ 9,100.00

Frilly
Carbon Fiber Spoiler $ 700.00
Silver Metallic Paint $ 700.00
Pano Roof $ 1,050.00
Subtotal $ 2,450.00

Total for My Options $ 34,650.00
Base Price of M3 $ 35,000.00

Total Cost of My Model 3 $ 69,650.00

I really don't care about wheels\leather. Can totally add those later IMHO.

Last edited:
Chin up! Look at it this way.. The majority of people who own cars spend less than $35000 on a new car. According to Google, the average cost of a new car in the United States is $33,543. The Model 3 is meant as Tesla's first affordable car, targeting a much wider customer base than the Model S/X, or a Tesla forum. You're seeing a very skewed perspective of interest in the Model 3 from this group. The vast majority of people who reserve and purchase a Model 3 over the next 2+ years will not be spending $50k+ on their Model 3. And if Tesla manages to garner as much media attention as they hope to, plenty of orders from as-of-yet oblivious future members of the EV Revolution will fall behind yours because you paid attention and put yourself well ahead of the curve. Ordering yours ASAP on the 31st will still likely put you in front of the majority of eventual Model 3 owners. You may not have the first one on the road, but you'll still save yourself a whole lot of waiting!

Thanks, hope you're right. I wish Tesla would work the pre order queues that employees and current model S/X owners get priority over everyone else IF they reserve by 31st. I'm afraid that current owners (and employees) who reserve over the next year+ will all get prioritized over me.

And the whole west coast to east coast thing, if they fulfill employees, current S/X owners, higher spec'd cars, then lower spec'd cars all on west coast before moving on... god help me.

It's interesting to note that a lot of people's #1 upgrade is the longer range (mine as well). This seems to point to the fact that while Tesla is the best game in town when it comes to batteries future owners still have range anxiety. However, I've heard some rumblings from current owners that their pre-purchase range anxiety was unfounded now that they've had the car a while. Can anyone weigh in on this?

I haven't posted my detailed option guess/preference, but range is pretty high on my list.
This isn't because I'm worried about running out during my normal daily use, but rather looking at the longer-range trips I and my family like to take, and looking to be able to make that trip without stopping to charge.
For example, from the CA Bay Area to San Luis Obispo is right around 200 miles. I'd like to be able to do that drive in one charge, and feel confident we'd have enough charge left to drive around a little bit and then park for charging.

Thanks, hope you're right. I wish Tesla would work the pre order queues that employees and current model S/X owners get priority over everyone else IF they reserve by 31st. I'm afraid that current owners (and employees) who reserve over the next year+ will all get prioritized over me.

And the whole west coast to east coast thing, if they fulfill employees, current S/X owners, higher spec'd cars, then lower spec'd cars all on west coast before moving on... god help me.

I would expect that the vast majority of current Tesla owners who want a Model 3 will order in the first week/month. I'd guess very few people will become new owners of a Model S/X in the next 1+ and THEN decide to reserve a higher-optioned Model 3 as well. That's two brand new cars in 2 years. Some small number of humans obviously live in that world. You and I, and the majority of others, do not. So the "current owner/employee" damage will be done on the front end. After that, you'll be primarily competing with people who learn, over the next year+, that the Model 3 even exists and that they can reserve one. If you get ahead of those people by reserving on Day 1, you'll be in pretty good shape.

I would expect that the vast majority of current Tesla owners who want a Model 3 will order in the first week/month. I'd guess very few people will become new owners of a Model S/X in the next 1+ and THEN decide to reserve a higher-optioned Model 3 as well. That's two brand new cars in 2 years. Some small number of humans obviously live in that world. You and I, and the majority of others, do not. So the "current owner/employee" damage will be done on the front end. After that, you'll be primarily competing with people who learn, over the next year+, that the Model 3 even exists and that they can reserve one. If you get ahead of those people by reserving on Day 1, you'll be in pretty good shape.

You also must not forget to configure your Model 3 as soon as you see that invitation to configure email hit your inbox. The sooner you configure, the sooner it puts you in front of the people still deciding on options. It would be a really good idea to figure out what you might want based on current Model S options now in my opinion.

Reactions: model3fan
If options on the Model 3 go for even 30% of the Model S, I still would be extremely ecstatic!

Doing some research on Model S options and pricing, I've created a prioritization list:

Must-have:
Auto-Pilot
SC Access
Pano Roof
Next-Gen Seats

Like to have:
Dual-Motor
Hi-Fi Sound

Nice to have but not necessary:
Red paint (the mini-Model S my wife got me for my birthday, shown in my avatar pic, sold me on going for red, haha)

As far as going for a bigger battery, being located in Central Florida has me right at the cusp of the 200-mile expected range to get to most places I drive. My most frequent trips are to Miami, to the Tampa Bay area, and to the Space Coast for the beaches. I should be able to easily make a round trip to the east coast of Florida in one charge. Tampa Bay and back can be on one charge, depending on where in the area I am going, but if I do need a charge, there are currently SCs in Brandon and Turkey Lake which are right on the I-4 corridor between Tampa and Orlando. Miami is the wild-card as far as range goes. It's around 250 miles from Orlando to Miami. Upgrading the battery could get me there on one charge, however, there are 3 SCs in route to Miami so I'd always have my choice of stopping at any one of the three to get me there. Don't know if the small convenience of driving to Miami non-stop would be worth the price of getting a larger battery. I just noticed that Tallahassee now has a SC, so trips to FSU for a few games would also be easy (SCs in Ocala, Lake City, and Tallahassee). Any other road trip would be long enough to need to stop for charging regardless of range, so all and all a battery upgrade probably won't be worth it to me.

If options on the Model 3 go for even 30% of the Model S, I still would be extremely ecstatic!

Doing some research on Model S options and pricing, I've created a prioritization list:

Must-have:
Auto-Pilot
SC Access
Pano Roof
Next-Gen Seats

Like to have:
Dual-Motor
Hi-Fi Sound

Nice to have but not necessary:
Red paint (the mini-Model S my wife got me for my birthday, shown in my avatar pic, sold me on going for red, haha)

As far as going for a bigger battery, being located in Central Florida has me right at the cusp of the 200-mile expected range to get to most places I drive. My most frequent trips are to Miami, to the Tampa Bay area, and to the Space Coast for the beaches. I should be able to easily make a round trip to the east coast of Florida in one charge. Tampa Bay and back can be on one charge, depending on where in the area I am going, but if I do need a charge, there are currently SCs in Brandon and Turkey Lake which are right on the I-4 corridor between Tampa and Orlando. Miami is the wild-card as far as range goes. It's around 250 miles from Orlando to Miami. Upgrading the battery could get me there on one charge, however, there are 3 SCs in route to Miami so I'd always have my choice of stopping at any one of the three to get me there. Don't know if the small convenience of driving to Miami non-stop would be worth the price of getting a larger battery. I just noticed that Tallahassee now has a SC, so trips to FSU for a few games would also be easy (SCs in Ocala, Lake City, and Tallahassee). Any other road trip would be long enough to need to stop for charging regardless of range, so all and all a battery upgrade probably won't be worth it to me.

I thought 20-30% reduction seems reasonable as the car is a 20% reduction in volume to the Model S. Should at least be a 20% reduction to pricing as well ;).

I thought 20-30% reduction seems reasonable as the car is a 20% reduction in volume to the Model S. Should at least be a 20% reduction to pricing as well ;).

I agree with this for some things, like wheel size and leather seats, but I would almost argue the opposite for certain features like Autopilot. Who knows what "next gen Tesla technology" actually means, but I think it's reasonable to expect that there will be a heftier priced "Tech Package" option for the Model 3, as compared to the standard $2500 Autopilot option, especially if the Autopilot in the Model 3 is more advanced than that of the Model S/X.

Has anyone actually disclosed how much some of the options actually cost Tesla to produce? I've read plenty of times that the Model S was an "early adopter" program to help fund the development and production of the Model 3, so a lot of the Model S was sold at a premium because those early adopters would be willing to pay it to have first access to that technology. If you add that factor plus the economy of scale to the Model 3's options, I'd expect there to be some decrease in cost for most of the options.

Correct since the internal chargers are bypassed during DCFC (Chademo, Supercharging, or CCS - if an adapter were to be offered), adding dual chargers on the S (or high-current single charger on the X) doesn't effect DCFC times.

If I lived in Canada and planned to use any of Sun Country Highway's high current L2 stations (many go up to 80A max delivered), I'd probably spring for the dual chargers on an S, 72 amp high current single charger on the X, or whatever may be offered on the 3.

(The X doesn't offer dual chargers, instead the offer 2 single charger options - base @ 48A max, optional upgrade @ 72A max)

To get a better idea, how much faster of a charge does CHADEMO charging offer compared to a dual charger vs. a single charger. Using let's say a 60kWh battery.

Theoretically a dual charger should increase the car from 40A to 80A charging ability? I'm trying to figure out the math

Thanks again for the positive outlook! Have a good day!

You also must not forget to configure your Model 3 as soon as you see that invitation to configure email hit your inbox. The sooner you configure, the sooner it puts you in front of the people still deciding on options. It would be a really good idea to figure out what you might want based on current Model S options now in my opinion.

Thanks for this tip. Good thought. I wonder when the time comes how close I'll be with the incentives. Can't wait until the madness starts over the next year following everything.

To get a better idea, how much faster of a charge does CHADEMO charging offer compared to a dual charger vs. a single charger. Using let's say a 60kWh battery.

Theoretically a dual charger should increase the car from 40A to 80A charging ability? I'm trying to figure out the math
An 85kwh (don't know the numbers for 60) will fully charge in ~8-9 hrs @ 40A (10kW), and roughly half that at 80A (20kW).

Bjørn Nyland has video comparing charge times of Chademo, a 60kwh Supercharging, and an 85kwh Supercharging:

It looks like it takes just under 2 hours (1:45) for the battery to charge from 68km (16%) to 381km (90%) on a Chademo station, with a peak charge rate of 44kW

One thing to keep in mind (this can be kind of confusing) - the rate of charge (measured in kW = Volts * Amps) isn't completely linear throughout a session. The battery can accept high charge rates when empty, but charging slows as it fills.

When L2 charging (40A/80A), the power delivery in kW is low enough that the battery can take the full 20kW (240V*20A) up to around 99% state of charge (SOC).

The two batteries supercharge at different rates because they can take different max charge rates, and are thus the determining factor (the Supercharger is capable of delivering more current than either can handle once the battery's state of charge starts to build, so the Supercharger has to ramp down to prevent overloading the battery). The Chademo's max power is low enough that the battery can accept its full output until around 75% SOC.

Has anyone actually disclosed how much some of the options actually cost Tesla to produce? I've read plenty of times that the Model S was an "early adopter" program to help fund the development and production of the Model 3, so a lot of the Model S was sold at a premium because those early adopters would be willing to pay it to have first access to that technology. If you add that factor plus the economy of scale to the Model 3's options, I'd expect there to be some decrease in cost for most of the options.

I don't have the answer to your question, but I did read somewhere on here today that Tesla sells Model Ses at something like a 25% margin, which is particularly high. That opportunity was/is likely fueled by your point that customers in that financial bracket are willing to pay more to be early adopters. With the Model 3, it's logical to assume margins would be lower, which will further help Tesla cut costs to the consumer. Where, specifically, we see that manifest itself, I have no idea.

I agree with this for some things, like wheel size and leather seats, but I would almost argue the opposite for certain features like Autopilot. Who knows what "next gen Tesla technology" actually means, but I think it's reasonable to expect that there will be a heftier priced "Tech Package" option for the Model 3, as compared to the standard $2500 Autopilot option, especially if the Autopilot in the Model 3 is more advanced than that of the Model S/X.

Yeah, I think certain numbers are going to be more and less for the vehicle. I can't see some options (like Hi-Fi sound) being only 30% less than the Model S pricing. I just have the sneaking suspicion that the fully-loaded Model 3 is going to come out to roughly the same cost as a current base Model S. Not to mention the S is due for a price increase shortly. Seems like Tesla might be looking to put a small gap in between Model 3 and Model S pricing.

I feel like the Model S\X will now be Tesla's showcase cars packed with the latest and greatest technology and materials. They'll eventually trickle down to the Model 3\Y in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.