Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Possible Configuration and Options, what will you order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have the sneaking suspicion that the fully-loaded Model 3 is going to come out to roughly the same cost as a current base Model S...Seems like Tesla might be looking to put a small gap in between Model 3 and Model S pricing.

Not sure I agree with that idea either. I'd be thrilled if you were right. More for me. But most cars in the same classes as the Model 3 and Model S have quite a bit of overlap in price. Also,with rough math, using the Model S options as a framework, we're likely looking at $25-30k more JUST for the battery/performance upgrades. The P90D Model S is $38k more than the 70 RWD with nothing else added. I think a fully optioned Model 3 will be well into the 70s or 80s.

ooo, I want to play! (copied prices from an earlier post bc I'm lazy)

1. Base Model 3 [$35k]
2. Biggest Battery + AWD. [$12k] (Maybe this includes performance?)
3. AutoPilot & Tech Package [$2.5k]
4. Upgraded Leather [$2.5k] Tan
5. Paint Color [$1k] Multicoat Red
6. Panoramic Roof [$1k] - Must have for S Florida
7. Supercharger Access [Free]
8. Upgraded Sound System [$2k]
9. Spoiler [$1.5k]

Total: $57.5

Not sure I agree with that idea either. I'd be thrilled if you were right. More for me. But most cars in the same classes as the Model 3 and Model S have quite a bit of overlap in price. Also,with rough math, using the Model S options as a framework, we're likely looking at $25-30k more JUST for the battery/performance upgrades. The P90D Model S is $38k more than the 70 RWD with nothing else added. I think a fully optioned Model 3 will be well into the 70s or 80s.

I disagree. They'll end up cannibalizing the Model S Sales:

Just checked. A fully loaded Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport = 63960
E 350 4Matic = 55600 base

ok, maybe you're right but I don't like it..........

I disagree. They'll end up cannibalizing the Model S Sales:

Just checked. A fully loaded Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport = 63960
E 350 4Matic = 55600 base

ok, maybe you're right but I don't like it..........

I think the key here is that very few people who can afford the Model S will look to purchase the base model. Tesla expects to sell more Model 3s. If that means someone buys a higher-optioned Model 3 over a base Model S, that's fine - expected even. People who can afford a "premium" car like a Model S - or, for comparison, a 7-series BMW or Lexus LS - they can almost certainly afford the luxury and performance upgrades as well.

No reason for Tesla to not go nuts with the options as it's where all their margin lives. The build complexity is manageable because their options are pretty straight forward, half of which are just software settings. Different seats, headliner, bigger motor, bigger battery, different radio and wheels are all easily slip streamed during assembly. The base price for the BMW M3 is $63,500. If the PxxD comes in at that level, it sure will be tempting to skip all the the options and go with a naked PxxD. Maybe just a premium interior and wheels to go along with that will no doubt be crazy performance.

Choices, choices.. Good thing we all have 18 months to think about it..

You also must not forget to configure your Model 3 as soon as you see that invitation to configure email hit your inbox. The sooner you configure, the sooner it puts you in front of the people still deciding on options. It would be a really good idea to figure out what you might want based on current Model S options now in my opinion.

Being behind prior owners and employees might be a benefit here. Hopefully some kind current owner will screen shot the options for all the rest of us so we will actually have time to make all our decisions before we get let into the design studio.

Hardest thing for me is going to be picking colors.

No reason for Tesla to not go nuts with the options as it's where all their margin lives. The build complexity is manageable because their options are pretty straight forward, half of which are just software settings. Different seats, headliner, bigger motor, bigger battery, different radio and wheels are all easily slip streamed during assembly. The base price for the BMW M3 is $63,500. If the PxxD comes in at that level, it sure will be tempting to skip all the the options and go with a naked PxxD. Maybe just a premium interior and wheels to go along with that will no doubt be crazy performance.

Choices, choices.. Good thing we all have 18 months to think about it..

Yeah, I'm standing behind my estimate of $23-$25k for the PXXD upgrade from the base model battery for the Model 3. I don't see it as being as expensive as the Model S because I imagine it would need less powerful motors due to the reduced weight to get it to crazy fast speeds. Of course, I could also just be flat out wrong. Who knows? Elon Musk, that's who ;)

ooo, I want to play! (copied prices from an earlier post bc I'm lazy)

1. Base Model 3 [$35k]
2. Biggest Battery + AWD. [$12k] (Maybe this includes performance?)
3. AutoPilot & Tech Package [$2.5k]
4. Upgraded Leather [$2.5k] Tan
5. Paint Color [$1k] Multicoat Red
6. Panoramic Roof [$1k] - Must have for S Florida
7. Supercharger Access [Free]
8. Upgraded Sound System [$2k]
9. Spoiler [$1.5k]

Total: $57.5

Minus the bigger battery, we might be fighting for the same car! And we're both in Florida. En garde! (kidding of course)

Tesla would much rather sell a highly optioned Model 3 than a lowly optioned Model S at the same price point. The margins are better on the upgrades and accessories than on the base vehicle.

Price overlap is almost a guarantee for the Model 3 P##(#)D with a few additional options.

Reactions: ELRev
...chargers onboard vs. the DC charger (i assume supercharging)...I live in a Condo...what options...

You got it right about DC which means free Supercharging.

Your main battery is high voltage DC. To recharge it you need DC.

But household voltage is AC so how can you do it?

The same way as your cell phone, your laptop.

They have a charger that looks like a "brick" so you can plug it into your household AC.

That brick inverts AC into DC so you can recharge your cell phone or laptop.

Similarly, your Tesla has an built-in onboard charger so don't have to carry that much bigger "brick" around to plug to household AC outlets.

So I hope you understand what an onboard charger is for at this point right?

What if you can take a whole bunch of chargers and put them in a big cabinet, and I mean BIG, to invert utility AC to DC?

That's what you call Superchargers.

When you plug Supercharger into your car, it is already DC, so it does not use any of your onboard chargers during Supercharging.

Does it make sense?

• Informative
Reactions: pmich80
...Condo...

It depends on what available in your condo.

Some gives you a dedicated parking space.

Some as an electrical outlet for you to use.

An ideal one for charging is minimally 240 volts, 30 Amperes such as your dryer outlet.

A better one is what you call NEMA 14-50 that you see very common in RV parks that supply 240 volts and 50 amperes.

If you can only access 120 Volt outlet, you might be able to get away with it depending on the weather.

120V outlet can recharge only about 3 miles per hour at best.

However, when it dips down below freezing point, your battery may need warmth.

So, instead of using the electricity to recharge itself, it may use that to keep itself warm.

Thus, you might not get any significant miles per hour of charge at all!

Most states allow you to demand a charging outlet for your car.

You might want to ask your condo to arrange an electrician for 240 volts 50 ampere outlet called NEMA 14-50 (with your cost of course.)

They have a charger that looks like a "brick" so you can plug it into your household AC.

Actually, the "charger" is inside your computer, phone, car, etc. The lump (brick) in your device's power cord is a "step down transformer."

And if you've ever seen a Tesla Mobile Connector, it has a large lump too. As does the Tesla HPWC (except as this is mounted to the wall, the lump is on the wall).
main_picture_1024x1024.jpg
high-power-wall-connector2_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tam
Actually, the "charger" is inside your computer, phone, car, etc. The lump (brick) in your device's power cord is a "step down transformer."

And if you've ever seen a Tesla Mobile Connector, it has a large lump too. As does the Tesla HPWC (except as this is mounted to the wall, the lump is on the wall).

Thanks for the correction. That makes more sense now :)

Reactions: Brad_SC
Thanks for the correction. That makes more sense now :)

Yea, and that's why you'll see companies refer to their power cords as "Power Adapters..." because they adapt the incoming power (110-120V @ 12A) to a level that is usable by the device you are plugging in (14.85V @ 3.05A for a 45W Apple MagSafe Power Adapter). This is also the device that changes from AC to DC, as many consumer electronics devices require DC power to operate.

Just as "Aluminum" is spelled incorrectly and widely accepted, laptop power cords labeled as "chargers" is incorrect, but also widely accepted.

It's interesting to note that a lot of people's #1 upgrade is the longer range (mine as well). This seems to point to the fact that while Tesla is the best game in town when it comes to batteries future owners still have range anxiety. However, I've heard some rumblings from current owners that their pre-purchase range anxiety was unfounded now that they've had the car a while. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Not at all, a lot of people want to achieve one of two things:

1) spend less time at the supercharger as a larger battery recovers mileage faster.

2) drive beyond the limits of supercharger placement. British Columbia is a great example the supercharged only cover a sliver of the province because they are presently along one main route out of the province.

Just as "Aluminum" is spelled incorrectly and widely accepted, laptop power cords labeled as "chargers" is incorrect, but also widely accepted.
don't confuse location based spelling

Canadian / American Spelling Differences ... Does Your Blog Speak to the Proper Market?

In terms of "range anxiety," I'm partially coming from an ICE context, but it's also a practical matter for me, as one day a week, I have a 100-mile round-trip commute. I could make an EV with a 100-ish mile range work, but I'd rather not have to worry about charging in public, and be able to confidently make it all the way home on a single charge.

You got it right about DC which means free Supercharging.

Your main battery is high voltage DC. To recharge it you need DC.

But household voltage is AC so how can you do it?

The same way as your cell phone, your laptop.

That brick inverts AC into DC so you can recharge your cell phone or laptop.

Similarly, your Tesla has an built-in onboard charger so don't have to carry that much bigger "brick" around to plug to household AC outlets.

So I hope you understand what an onboard charger is for at this point right?

What if you can take a whole bunch of chargers and put them in a big cabinet, and I mean BIG, to invert utility AC to DC?

That's what you call Superchargers.

When you plug Supercharger into your car, it is already DC, so it does not use any of your onboard chargers during Supercharging.

Does it make sense?

Thank you so much for explaining it. It makes a lot more sense. So "chargers" like Superchargers, CHAdeMO, COMBO, and (HPWC too - not sure if this is included ??) are DC since they can convert AC to DC and bypass the onboard charger. L1 and L2 chargers use the on-board charger. Some L2 chargers offer up to 80V so it'd be useful to make use of Dual Charger option since the single on-board charger only handles up to 40V.

I've taken a look at the plugshare website recently and noticed there is 1 L3 Charger near my house (5 minutes away) so I think i'll be purchasing the CHAdeMO converter to make use of this charger. I happen to live in Toronto so they're expanding the L2 and L3 charger network so i can make use of the Sun Country Highway chargers appearing across the country for travel in addition to the Tesla Supercharging network of course.

It depends on what available in your condo.

Some gives you a dedicated parking space.
Some as an electrical outlet for you to use.
An ideal one for charging is minimally 240 volts, 30 Amperes such as your dryer outlet.
A better one is what you call NEMA 14-50 that you see very common in RV parks that supply 240 volts and 50 amperes.
If you can only access 120 Volt outlet, you might be able to get away with it depending on the weather.
120V outlet can recharge only about 3 miles per hour at best.
However, when it dips down below freezing point, your battery may need warmth.
So, instead of using the electricity to recharge itself, it may use that to keep itself warm.
Thus, you might not get any significant miles per hour of charge at all!
Most states allow you to demand a charging outlet for your car.
You might want to ask your condo to arrange an electrician for 240 volts 50 ampere outlet called NEMA 14-50 (with your cost of course.)

My condo building is quite old but a very premium building. They have about 300 outdoor visitor parking spots for the 3 buildings combined. I think it'd make more sense if they created outdoor rechargeable stations (as opposed to indoors which i assume would be a lot more expensive) Ideally I'd want it in my current parking spot to avoid our harsh winters but I think it's a huge challenge and obstacle.

I'm going to present the option of installing 240V NEMA 14-50 initially to them and obviously pay for it myself if needed. They should hopefully accept that Electrical cars are the future and should really step up. They definitely have the space with over 300 spaces of which half are never in use. Is there another standard/voltage that could possibly EASILY work that would charge faster and that a condo building could implement that would make more sense.

Being behind prior owners and employees might be a benefit here. Hopefully some kind current owner will screen shot the options for all the rest of us so we will actually have time to make all our decisions before we get let into the design studio.

Hardest thing for me is going to be picking colors.

I'm a little curious about the colors, too.

I've noticed in recent years, they've killed off some colors for the Model S (hunter green, which for some reason my wife likes). I wonder if they expand the number of colors available as they move into mass-market.

Status
Not open for further replies.