Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Possible Configuration and Options, what will you order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for explaining it. It makes a lot more sense. So "chargers" like Superchargers, CHAdeMO, COMBO, and (HPWC too - not sure if this is included ??) are DC since they can convert AC to DC and bypass the onboard charger. L1 and L2 chargers use the on-board charger. Some L2 chargers offer up to 80V so it'd be useful to make use of Dual Charger option since the single on-board charger only handles up to 40V.
You've almost got it, except the HPWC is not DC charging - it is a plain old boring EVSE (see my prior post on page 5) that delivers 240V AC to the car's on board chargers.

Also, you've used "40V" and "80V" - you mean 40A (amps) and 80A. L2 is always delivering 240V (nominal, ignoring commercial 208V 3 phase) - the voltage is constant, it's the amperage that varies.

In the plumbing analogy, voltage is the "electrical pressure", equivalent to the water pressure in a pipe. Amperage measures the number of electrons flowing through the wire (think the amount of water coming out the faucet). Water pressure (in PSI) and flow rate (GPM) are different, but related - increase the PSI and GPM goes up. Increase the pipe size (wire diameter) and GPM (amperage) increases, etc.

I also think maybe I already did this, but:

-largest battery, say, 80 kWh?;
-tech package (including everything ever offered for S tech package)autopilot etc;
-P, assuming everything comes as it does with the S, plus Insane, Ludicrous or Maximum Plaid as offered;
-premium sound;
-I assume it comes with Supercharging;
-cold weather;
-skip the sunroof.
- MCR exterior, tan interior.

What I am trying to do is replicate my P85D with a smaller package. I expect roughly US$99,000 or so, maintaining the same differential between base and loaded that exists for S and X, series 3 BMW, Audi ~4 and MB C-class.

You've almost got it, except the HPWC is not DC charging - it is a plain old boring EVSE (see my prior post on page 5) that delivers 240V AC to the car's on board chargers.

Also, you've used "40V" and "80V" - you mean 40A (amps) and 80A. L2 is always delivering 240V (nominal, ignoring commercial 208V 3 phase) - the voltage is constant, it's the amperage that varies.

In the plumbing analogy, voltage is the "electrical pressure", equivalent to the water pressure in a pipe. Amperage measures the number of electrons flowing through the wire (think the amount of water coming out the faucet). Water pressure (in PSI) and flow rate (GPM) are different, but related - increase the PSI and GPM goes up. Increase the pipe size (wire diameter) and GPM (amperage) increases, etc.

That makes a lot more sense regarding the HPWC because the option to install the Dual chargers to work the HPWC allows the time to be cut in half. (meaning it must use the on-board charger). Is there any significant difference between a HPWC and a NEMA 14-50 if you only have a single on-board charger?

My mistake, i meant to save Amps! not volts.. woops.

Thanks for all the info @tga @Tam

That makes a lot more sense regarding the HPWC because the option to install the Dual chargers to work the HPWC allows the time to be cut in half. (meaning it must use the on-board charger). Is there any significant difference between a HPWC and a NEMA 14-50 if you only have a single on-board charger?

My mistake, i meant to save Amps! not volts.. woops.

Thanks for all the info @tga @Tam

The NEMA 14-50 is a lot cheaper of an install and usable by other cars. If your trying to get it installed at a condo building NEMA 14-50 is the logical option.

If your there long term, can get HPWC installed in your current covered parking space and can afford dual chargers then go this route.

Also with the Model X having the option for a low KW or high KW single onboard charger. It's possible the Model 3 would only have a High KW charger anyway.

I'll definitely get Autopilot if it's around $2,500. That's the main reason I'll be getting a Tesla...for the convenience of having the car drive itself. I will also get a premium paint color for $1,000 (Cobalt Blue is gorgeous).

I would want to get Supercharging but I would actually feel a bit ripped off if it was more than $2,000 or so. I'd probably still get it anyways though...it would greatly extend the usefulness of the car and eliminate range anxiety.

I would also like to get a bigger battery for longer range but that would be a luxury for me, since 200 mile range is more than plenty for my daily driver, and supercharger access will let me take long road trips.

Everything else such as sunroof, AWD, premium sound, etc...are all luxuries and I would not miss them. I want to keep the car to maximum price of ~$40k and unless an option is really really useful for me, I can do without it.

That's almost an exact copy for me. The Cobalt Blue is mesmerizing. I purchased my 2008 Chrysler Aspen as a used vehicle in 2009 and it came with a sunroof. I didn't want one and two months ago, I paid $300 to get the dealer to clear the drain tubes. When it rained, it rained inside the vehicle--highly annoying. My daily commute to and from work, including the odd stop for lunch is only about 16 miles. Access to SCs would be a must as we travel to the Orlando area routinely for the theme parks and the Florida Turnpike has SCs at strategic rest stops.

My guess:

Basic:
50 Kwh, 200m, single motor, 0-100: 6,0s, autopark - 35.000$

Enhanced:
60Kwh, 220m, single motor, 0-100: 5,5s, autopark - 50.000$

Performance model
60Kwh, 225m, dual motor, 0-100: 5,0s, autopark, air-suspension - 60.000$
ludicrous upgrade on P: +10.000$: 4,4s

options: autopilot, supercharger

Model S 70 Discontinued - Model S 100 introduced
There will be solution how to fast charge Model 3 without supercharger - because of battery 2.0 technology - that is why supercharger will serve only S,X with shorter charging time.

Is there somewhere i can read up on this or a detailed post about this. I'm trying to understand the differences between all the chargers onboard vs. the DC charger (i assume supercharging).... I live in a Condo so for me i don't think i can set up a charger in my place and i want to know what i need for my car to access in public spaces and what options i have.

Direct DC charging usually comes from a Supercharger. There are other DC charging solutions. Wikipedia has an entry: Charging station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TeslaMotors.com said:
Superchargers consist of multiple Model S chargers working in parallel to deliver up to 120 kW of direct current (DC) power directly to the battery. Typically, Model S uses its onboard charger to convert alternating current (AC) from a wall charger to DC that’s stored in the battery.

On the condo front, you might have laws in your area that force condos to allow you to install charging infrastructure (at your cost). You only need an outlet. My condo already had plans for EV charging. I checked before I bought.

Sunroof
Leather
Largest battery I can afford

Not too fussed about enabling autopilot if I can do it post-sale instead. Could add it down the track to reduce upfront cost.

Also open to keeping it rear wheel drive. Would like to keep as much frunk space as possible.

This was posted on a local car forum. I have no idea where it came from:

View attachment 168159

That's from a Randy Carlson article on Seeking Alpha.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3258855-will-teslas-model-3-compete

Here is the original version:
1580111-14341680988580308-Randy-Carlson.jpg

What will you order?

I'll try to keep the budget around $50K after whatever incentives I can get. So any of these that fit the budget in descending order of importance.
  1. Supercharger access (TBD if this included or not) [$2K]
  2. Largest Battery [$10K]
  3. Dual-motor [$5K]
  4. Panoramic Roof that opens (test drive video mentions: metal, all glass, pano that opens) [$2K]
  5. Autopilot Convenience [$2K]
  6. Upgraded seats [$2K]
  7. Slate Color [$1K]
  8. Turbine Wheels [$1K]
I'm really hoping I can get to #4 no problem, and would like them all. I've put in what I budgeted/guessed the costs would be. If I am wrong by a lot, then I'll need to trim down.

I am not bothering w/ a Performance version.

Reactions: Seesaw
Elon said auto pilot and supercharger was standard with the car, that's good. Therefore, my highest priority is getting the biggest battery I can afford and AWD. I might add more depending on the final price and tax credit if any.

I know we've all got many (many) months before we even get a clue as to actual options and pricing, but I don't know that you should be counting on those features being included at the 35k base price just yet.
Elon did explicitly say auto pilot HARDWARE and SAFETY FEATURES are included. If you are looking for the full auto pilot feature, the current consensus seems to be that you will have to pay for that.

And the jury seems to be out on supercharging, with the recent change to the website description being "SuperCharger capable". So, we'll see if it's free for all M3's, free on higher spec/battery models and paid option to enable on lower, or some new arrangement (pay per time, subscription fee, etc).

I know we've all got many (many) months before we even get a clue as to actual options and pricing, but I don't know that you should be counting on those features being included at the 35k base price just yet.
Elon did explicitly say auto pilot HARDWARE and SAFETY FEATURES are included. If you are looking for the full auto pilot feature, the current consensus seems to be that you will have to pay for that.

And the jury seems to be out on supercharging, with the recent change to the website description being "SuperCharger capable". So, we'll see if it's free for all M3's, free on higher spec/battery models and paid option to enable on lower, or some new arrangement (pay per time, subscription fee, etc).

safety features to me means auto emergency braking. the government made that mandatory last week for all 2018+ US cars. so makes total sense.

Reactions: mcghee33
215 miles of range on 44Kwh battery? I don't think so... IMO it would have to be at least 55Kwh or even 60Kwh battery to have that range.
@AndreSF RC's main argument is that once you start saving weight from 20% size and smaller battery pack, there are add-on savings. @Red Sage made the same point you did when I first linked to RC's articles in the TeslaMotors forum (volkerize "Randy Carlson" for articles w/o logging into SA). I think that the base config will be around 50-55 kWh. Where we could be wrong is if energy density by weight is a lot higher. Not sure that rolling resistance from weight is enough of a factor though.

Elon did not mention his Cd target of 0.20 for the Model ≡. Maybe he is waiting to see if they get there first.

Long time lurker, first post. Owner of ms70d and sooon to be owner of M3

Here is how I would sell the Model 3 if I were Tesla:

55 KWH base battery: 225 mi 0-60:5.7 sec
55D 235mi 0-60: 5.2 sec- $3000
80D 325 mi incl Supercharging and Tech packages (More on that later) 0-60: 3.9 sec- $13000 over base ($10000 over 55D)

Paint: $1000-1,200
Roof: Metal: Standard
Glass: $500
Pano: $750
Wheels: 17 inch- incl
17 inch Upgraded- $1,500
19 Inch- $2,500

Seats: Textile-Included
Leather- $1750
Leather Sports (next Gen)- $2500

Decor: Piano-included
Wood or CF: $750

Tech Package: Upgraded sound, 17 inch screen (vs 15), Cold weather package, LED headlights, cornering lights- $2000

Autopilot: $2,500

Luxury Interior: MUCH better interior quality of everything but the seats over the base model, power liftgate, premium interior lighting, chrome inserts around vehicle, "puck" shapped handles etc- $3000

Air Suspension-$2,500
Supercharging- $2,000

Fully loaded 80D: $63,700

Now comes my wild card:

I always wanted Tesla to make serious performance versions of their cars, and this would be mine for the Model 3. It would still be slower than the Super Performance MS

$70,000 Base for:

P70D M3 Killer!
Lighter battery that puts out more power (Supercaps?)
More Aluminum construction throughout and weight reduction
Distinct sportier look
Better, high quality interior
3.2 sec 0-60
Performance that will last at the racetrack with special battery cooling
Sports Suspension
400 lbs wight reduction from 80D

Options:

Special 5 palette pain selection: Matte Black, Lime Green, Sig Red, Turquoise, gold
Special lightweight 19 or 20 inch ($300 more for 20) wheel selections
Autopilot $2,500
CF Exterior Package: CF Roof. Spoiler, Body Kit- $5,000
Ultra Sport Interior with lightweight seats, Carbon Fiber accents throughout- $1,000
Carbon Ceramic Brakes- $5000

Status
Not open for further replies.