Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shocked to hear that the Tesla Model X costs about $200,000 ($40,000 x 5)! Are you sure about your math, though? You've previously shown yourself deficient in the subject.

Oh, yeah, in his review Bjorn commented on the cheap materials used in the cabin and the uncomfortable seating and legroom, front and back. He stated the Kona was not a family car (unless your family was comprised of normal-sized Asians).

I'm pro everything EV but questioning your motives in relentlessly pumping the Kona with misstatements on this site.
The Kona is a perfectly fine car. But comparing it to a Model X is like comparing a Camry to a BMW 7-Series.

Bjorn is racing the Kona against his Model X P90D and the Kona is winning by quite a distance. It seems to be super efficient. Hyundai seem to be champions when it comes to efficient EVs.

I'd call it a range comparison, not a "race".

That said, the Kona only wins if the "race" is a very specific distance. Keep it within the range of a Model X, and the X arrives first. Have a "race" that is a distance outside of the Kona's range... and the X arrives first. That's why the Supercharger network is everything.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing and Chedawg
How is the need for supercharging nonsense? The Kona gets like 250 miles and would not able to make a trip from LA to SF. Once other charging networks are on par with Tesla superchargers then yes, it's not going to be be a problem, but for right now good luck making that trip in a Kona.

Well it seemed to work okay for Bjorn.

I'd call it a range comparison, not a "race".

That said, the Kona only wins if the "race" is a very specific distance. Keep it within the range of a Model X, and the X arrives first. Have a "race" that is a distance outside of the Kona's range... and the X arrives first. That's why the Supercharger network is everything.

That makes no sense. Kona is actually better range than the P90D, so given the legal speed limit if no charging is required they will arrive at the same time.

If charging is required then Bjorn demonstrated that the Kona wins. The video will be up soon.

If charging is required then Bjorn demonstrated that the Kona wins. The video will be up soon.
So Bjorn was able to charge the Kona at speeds faster than 480 miles an hour? Cause that's what the supercharger charges at.

What was his comparison? If he was charging the Kona and the X at the same type of charger of course the Kona will charge faster because it has a smaller battery.

So Bjorn was able to charge the Kona at speeds faster than 480 miles an hour? Cause that's what the supercharger charges at.

Yeah, not really though. You might get max speed for ten minutes on a good day, but the car is a lot less efficient than the Kona so it gets you less range per kW anyway.

Waiting for the video but the Ioniq could do 70kW so Bjorn was expecting over 80 from the Kona. It seems to taper quite late too.

So the combination of high charging speed and better range/efficiency seems to have made all the difference in this test.

Yeah, not really though. You might get max speed for ten minutes on a good day, but the car is a lot less efficient than the Kona so it gets you less range per kW anyway.

Waiting for the video but the Ioniq could do 70kW so Bjorn was expecting over 80 from the Kona. It seems to taper quite late too.

So the combination of high charging speed and better range/efficiency seems to have made all the difference in this test.
So in your world 70kW is faster than 145kW?

Having watched both of Bjorn's videos on the Kona, it does look like a good vehicle that will "get the job done". But it is clearly no Tesla. It is more of a workhorse, although gimped somewhat by its small size (cargo capacity and awkward boot size doesn't look ideal). It also looks and according to Bjorn '"feels" quite cheap/flimsy inside in many respects. I know some people don't like the clean and minimalistic look of the Model 3 interior - but I do. The cramped and sluggish navigation system and infotainment doesn't do it for me on the Kona, either, and neither does the chunky keyfob that looks like one from a 2009 VW Passat. I won't even touch on exterior appearance, there's simply no comparison there with the Model 3 in my view.

Seems that its handling and performance is in a different (lower league) to the Model 3. I would also much prefer to be a passenger in the Model 3, surrounded by natural daylight and with reasonable legroom rather than feeling decidedly claustrophobic. His experience with the public rapid-charging infrastructure very much marries up with my own experience. It's simply the economy class to the First Class supercharger experience.

So yeah, the Kona is a nice car in many respects - but it's no Tesla. And I think comparing to the Model 3 is apples to oranges. I'm glad Bjorn spent very little time even mentioning/comparing to the Model 3, because it's a bit of a flawed comparison.

Last edited:
It also looks and according to Bjorn 'feels' quite cheap/flimsy inside in many respects.

He actually said on the video that it felt well made and solid. A few scratchy bits of plastic here and there, one bit of body coloured metal near the rear windows he didn't like, but generally well made. Let's not compare that to Tesla build quality though...

He commented on the seats being particularly good, especially the ventilation. I think that's extra on the Model 3, right? You get a lot of premium features in the Hyundai.

I know some people don't like the clean and minimalistic look of the Model 3 - but I do.

I do too, it's very nice.

The cramped and sluggish navigation system and infotainment doesn't do it for me on the Kona

Were you watching the right video? Again Bjorn commented on how responsive it is and of course you have Android Auto as an option.

The main issues I have with the Kona are:

- A little cramped due to the big centre console up front
- Only a rear camera, no 360 like the Leaf
- No remote control app

But for the money nothing else comes close, especially on range. To get that kind of performance from the M3 you need the LR version which costs a lot more, completely different price bracket.

That makes no sense. Kona is actually better range than the P90D, so given the legal speed limit if no charging is required they will arrive at the same time.

If the speed limit is involved, it isn't a race. It's a range comparison and charge speed comparison (as I stated). I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, there are very, very few high speed chargers available to non-Tesla vehicles. If charging is involved at all, the Model X P90D would beat the Kona to pretty much any US destination.

Regarding the infotainment system, I was watching from 36 mins or so onwards on the second video. He is clearly having issues with the responsiveness of the system. You can see the lag when he tries to type the city in or move around on the map. He basically gives up with it a little while after saying: "this is so old fashioned, this is so slow". Perhaps you are referring to the responsiveness of music track changes or something, it's really the navigation I was touching on here. And the screen looks microscopic compared to the Model 3's screen, it remainds me of my Renault ZOE or perhaps it's even smaller. And that is not a good thing!

The interior quality, to me, looks similar to my Renault as well. Just lots of cheapy plastics everywhere. It's alright and it gets the job done, but to me the Model 3 looks a lot more premium and solid inside. I don't like lots of plastic, knobs and buttons everywhere - but each to their own and this is a more affordable vehicle. And I do appreciate the range and efficiency of the Kona, it's of course an important aspect of the EV experience.

Last edited: