Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I’d love tesla to do AA and CP. People could choose to use it or not. I know lots of people have all these reasons for why they shouldn’t do it but I’m not buying any of them. Perhaps if they could concoct a reasonable interface to work with my phone it would matter but they haven’t done that despite several years of updates. It’s especially inexcusable considering the upgrade capability of the cars.

I love my car but definitely not this aspect of it. This is the first car I’ve owned where I felt it necessary to have a smartphone mount so I can access my phone easily while driving. This plus the lack of ability to have multiple waypoints in the nav system. It’s a joke.

Multiple stopping points is something that I completely forgot about existed on previous nav systems. I understand the use case, but I guess that I've always plotted one destination at a time.

I find myself completely ignoring my phone while driving, which is definitely new for me (I actually close the console lid with my phone docked most of the time). I find the tesla nav to work just fine, granted I don't do a ton of traveling outside of my regular commute. and I might be the only person in the world that finds slacker to be a suitable streaming service. I actually love the 'favorites' station. It's managed to build a better 'radio' playlist across generes then apple music ever did.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I would be surprised if it is under 7 seconds. Supposedly the Bolt weighs a lot less and has the same amount of hp. It is like a second faster to 60 mph than the Kona EV is listed at, but I think that comes down to gearing as it has a lower top speed than the Kona EV as well. Not sure if the 30 additional foot pounds will help all that much.

Against the BMX X1/X3 it does appear to be more pokey.

Bjorn was able to spin the wheels very easily, so that seems to be the limiting factor. Maybe with some more grippy tyres it might come down a bit, but Hyundai seem to have selected quiet, low resistance ones.

Multiple stopping points is something that I completely forgot about existed on previous nav systems. I understand the use case, but I guess that I've always plotted one destination at a time.

I find myself completely ignoring my phone while driving, which is definitely new for me (I actually close the console lid with my phone docked most of the time). I find the tesla nav to work just fine, granted I don't do a ton of traveling outside of my regular commute. and I might be the only person in the world that finds slacker to be a suitable streaming service. I actually love the 'favorites' station. It's managed to build a better 'radio' playlist across generes then apple music ever did.
I get that people want options, but the Tesla Nav is pretty good.

I'm not sure why there's so much hate for slacker. Again options would be great, but slacker is a fine streaming service and it's free. I haven't had any issues with it unless I'm in an area that doesn't have LTE.

I'm not sure why there's so much hate for slacker. Again options would be great, but slacker is a fine streaming service and it's free. I haven't had any issues with it unless I'm in an area that doesn't have LTE.

Yea, I've had zero issues with Nav. I know it has been historically bad on the S/X, but whatever recent updates they have done for the 3 seem to work really well. Will be even better once they move turn by turn to the left side of the screen.

I think there are some issues with playing specific songs if you have a further upgraded account. At any rate, it works perfectly fine for me. I love that the favorites station creates a mix of 'liked' songs and suggested songs based on what I've liked across every genre. Maybe Apple Music can do that and I never noticed it, but that alone has kept me happy with Slacker while driving. I'm probably going to cancel apple music entirely since I only ever really listen in the car anyways.

I would be surprised if it is under 7 seconds. Supposedly the Bolt weighs a lot less and has the same amount of hp. It is like a second faster to 60 mph than the Kona EV is listed at, but I think that comes down to gearing as it has a lower top speed than the Kona EV as well. Not sure if the 30 additional foot pounds will help all that much.

Against the BMX X1/X3 it does appear to be more pokey.
It's supposedly 7.6 sec to 60 with a top speed of 104 mph. It's respectable but not exactly a speed demon.

Bjorn was able to spin the wheels very easily, so that seems to be the limiting factor. Maybe with some more grippy tyres it might come down a bit, but Hyundai seem to have selected quiet, low resistance ones.
Better traction control would prevent that altogether.

Bjorn is racing the Kona against his Model X P90D and the Kona is winning by quite a distance. It seems to be super efficient. Hyundai seem to be champions when it comes to efficient EVs.

Long distance. The MX is less efficient but has a 90kWh battery and access to the supercharger network. Plus it costs about 5x as much.

It's interesting that the Kona would win for long distance travel. All the stuff about needing superchargers and it being inefficient have proven to be nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: brobinson
Long distance. The MX is less efficient but has a 90kWh battery and access to the supercharger network. Plus it costs about 5x as much.

It's interesting that the Kona would win for long distance travel. All the stuff about needing superchargers and it being inefficient have proven to be nonsense.
How is the need for supercharging nonsense? The Kona gets like 250 miles and would not able to make a trip from LA to SF. Once other charging networks are on par with Tesla superchargers then yes, it's not going to be be a problem, but for right now good luck making that trip in a Kona.

How is the need for supercharging nonsense? The Kona gets like 250 miles and would not able to make a trip from LA to SF. Once other charging networks are on par with Tesla superchargers then yes, it's not going to be be a problem, but for right now good luck making that trip in a Kona.

Yeah, same story in the UK. Supercharging is clearly the superior option - that's coming from somebody with considerable experience using the alternative. But I'm tired of repeating myself over and over in this thread, so be it.

Reactions: Lasairfion

Slacker only streams to the model 3 at a craptacular 64 kb/s for one

And it's no longer "free" long term if you ordered after June 30th either

Which wouldn't be so bad if the USB music interface wasn't so terrible.

As to the nav- I mean, my Garmin from like 15 years ago could do multiple stops/waypoints (and solve the traveling salesman problem too)... why can't Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Slacker only streams to the model 3 at a craptacular 64 kb/s for one

And it's no longer "free" long term if you ordered after June 30th either

Which wouldn't be so bad if the USB music interface wasn't so terrible.

As to the nav- I mean, my Garmin from like 15 years ago could do multiple stops/waypoints (and solve the traveling salesman problem too)... why can't Tesla?
Did your Garmin from 15 years ago tell you turn into streets that didn't exist? Cause I've had that happen on my old Garmin devices. Out of curiosity how often do you use multiple stops? I've had it on my google maps for years but never used it. On my Model 3 I just click the left button and say navigate to every time I do have a stop.

Did your Garmin from 15 years ago tell you turn into streets that didn't exist? Cause I've had that happen on my old Garmin devices. Out of curiosity how often do you use multiple stops? I've had it on my google maps for years but never used it. On my Model 3 I just click the left button and say navigate to every time I do have a stop.

Gotta love it when the answer to reasonable feature requests is some pseudo explanation about why it’s not necessary.
So we’ve established that the live map updates on the Tesla Nav are superior to a Garnin from 15 years ago. That’s not especially helpful to the question at hand.

Now let’s get back to having multiple stops in the Tesla Nav. Nobody would force you to use this function but it’s handy to have it. Yes I know I can use Nav on my phone or use a Nav site through the web browser. I’m not clear why all these other options work with more than one stop but the car can’t do it.

Did your Garmin from 15 years ago tell you turn into streets that didn't exist?

Nope.

It would sometimes not know about NEW streets of course- but map updates fix that.

Out of curiosity how often do you use multiple stops?.

Pretty much every vacation we ever took involving a car.

The garmin was awesome because I could plan the trip on my desktop PC, including all the stops each day for food, attractions, etc.... and then the software would figure the route for each day, I could save those routes by name (Day 1, Day 2, etc) and export them to the GPS.

Then each day I just select saved route- DAY X and let it run as we went through the day.

The marginally newer Garmin we eventually got was even better as I could tell it "search for X" along route at any point during the day and it'd add the result I picked as an additional waypoint right there in the middle of the whole days route.

Using single-destination nav for trips is like banging two rocks together to make fire in comparison to that.

I'm shocked to hear that the Tesla Model X costs about $200,000 ($40,000 x 5)! Are you sure about your math, though? You've previously shown yourself deficient in the subject.

Oh, yeah, in his review Bjorn commented on the cheap materials used in the cabin and the uncomfortable seating and legroom, front and back. He stated the Kona was not a family car (unless your family was comprised of normal-sized Asians).

I'm pro everything EV but questioning your motives in relentlessly pumping the Kona with misstatements on this site.

Nope.

It would sometimes not know about NEW streets of course- but map updates fix that.

Pretty much every vacation we ever took involving a car.

The garmin was awesome because I could plan the trip on my desktop PC, including all the stops each day for food, attractions, etc.... and then the software would figure the route for each day, I could save those routes by name (Day 1, Day 2, etc) and export them to the GPS.

Then each day I just select saved route- DAY X and let it run as we went through the day.

The marginally newer Garmin we eventually got was even better as I could tell it "search for X" along route at any point during the day and it'd add the result I picked as an additional waypoint right there in the middle of the whole days route.

Using single-destination nav for trips is like banging two rocks together to make fire in comparison to that.
I guess I don't plan out my road trips like you do. Mostly I just play it by ear and decide where I feel like going during the spur of the moment.