Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range test it the Kona:

413km in the rain. 256 miles.

Where does that number come from?

The last time they show us the gauges is at 2:05 in the video, after the car has driven 260.8 km on something over half the pack (started at 82%, exact final percentage not shown.) They show 7.9 km/kWh - almost 5 miles per kWh, or just over 200 Wh/mile - seemingly quite impressive stuff.

They also show that the 260.8 km took 4:50 hours - 290 minutes, meaning the average speed was 54 kph - about 34 mph. Any EV gets really impressive numbers at those sorts of speeds, unless it's being driven very aggressively in stop and go traffic.

Where does that number come from?

The last time they show us the gauges is at 2:05 in the video, after the car has driven 260.8 km on something over half the pack (started at 82%, exact final percentage not shown.) They show 7.9 km/kWh - almost 5 miles per kWh, or just over 200 Wh/mile - seemingly quite impressive stuff.

They also show that the 260.8 km took 4:50 hours - 290 minutes, meaning the average speed was 54 kph - about 34 mph. Any EV gets really impressive numbers at those sorts of speeds, unless it's being driven very aggressively in stop and go traffic.
This is what the note of the video says according to google translate:

Kona Electric ran a 260-kilometer charge from the Chilgok rest stop in Gyeongbuk province to the Songpa-gu Asian park in Seoul. This is an experiment different from the one that I drove to the air blowing mode instead of the air conditioning mode in Seoul - Busan no charge mode.

As a result, Kona Electric has confirmed that it can travel at least 413km even when it operates the air conditioner.
It is said that air conditioner is the biggest enemy of electric car mileage. Depending on the temperature of the individual, the fuel consumption of the individual, the electric car can go farther and shorter.

If you have prejudices about electric cars, I hope you see this video.

I experienced the lane keeping assist first hand in the Kona ICE (EV was not available yet) and it ping pongs from line to line. It is an aid when you don't pay attention, but it is no where close to the smoothness and "self-driving" of AP. It will at some point hit a curb I think when you let it do its thing. It came scary close to it on my test drive.
I just test drove a 2018 Nissan Leaf with “pro-pilot assist” today and it experienced the same ping ponging you described with the Kona. What was also interesting is that the pro-pilot was engaged and I was traveling approximately 48MPH approaching a traffic light. It started to rain and the pro-pilot system immediately disengaged without warning. Apparently it doesn’t work in rain. If I wasn’t attentive I could’ve easily rear ended the car in front of me rather than expecting the Leaf to brake as the car in front was slowing down. I’ll take Tesla’s EAP and TACC any day over Nissan’s system.

• Informative
Reactions: CO2CLEAN
Bjorn is saying that it's more efficient than the M3 in his tests.

500km mixed driving, 350km at 125km/h.

Steering assist is very stable, no ping pong. There is a "driver attention" option that can be turned off...

It's certainly a compact car. The Niro might be more your size, or the new Leaf.

Performance is good, over 90kW of regen, charging speed tapers quite late, quality feel and build, good head unit... It's very competitive.

The Niro seems to share a lot of the tech so I'd expect it to be pretty similar. A little less efficient, more space.

Bjorn is saying that it's more efficient than the M3 in his tests.

500km mixed driving, 350km at 125km/h.

Steering assist is very stable, no ping pong. There is a "driver attention" option that can be turned off...
This whole comparison thing needs a bit more thought.

It is not useful to simply compare to the most recent EV - the Model 3 is a bigger, heavier car carrying a larger battery with a larger motor.

By that logic the Kona is better than the Model X but they are completely different vehicles.

I like Hyundai, I’ve driven the Ioniq a lot and I’m pleased that EV buyers have more options today, but this silly comparison stuff is irrelevant when some of us will never buy the Kona because of its small size etc and want what the Model 3 offers.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Works for me... and a bunch of other folks ..a bunch

Yeah, I’d love tesla to do AA and CP. People could choose to use it or not. I know lots of people have all these reasons for why they shouldn’t do it but I’m not buying any of them. Perhaps if they could concoct a reasonable interface to work with my phone it would matter but they haven’t done that despite several years of updates. It’s especially inexcusable considering the upgrade capability of the cars.

I love my car but definitely not this aspect of it. This is the first car I’ve owned where I felt it necessary to have a smartphone mount so I can access my phone easily while driving. This plus the lack of ability to have multiple waypoints in the nav system. It’s a joke.

This whole comparison thing needs a bit more thought.

It is not useful to simply compare to the most recent EV - the Model 3 is a bigger, heavier car carrying a larger battery with a larger motor.

The comparison is because the M3 SR with AP is in the same price bracket. It's a bit more expensive than a fully loaded Kona, but people looking in that price range will want to compare the two.

Granted the M3 SR will probably be a bit more efficient due to having a lighter battery, but it's not going to make up the fairly wide gap with the Kona.

It's also quite surprising because the Kona is significantly taller than the M3. For me that's really important - the S is way too low for comfort, the X is okay but obviously costs 4-5x as much as a Kona and the cheapest 75kWh model has less range. As seen with the Ioniq, Hyundai really do appear to have mastered making slippery, efficient cars.

The comparison is because the M3 SR with AP is in the same price bracket. It's a bit more expensive than a fully loaded Kona, but people looking in that price range will want to compare the two.

Granted the M3 SR will probably be a bit more efficient due to having a lighter battery, but it's not going to make up the fairly wide gap with the Kona.

It's also quite surprising because the Kona is significantly taller than the M3. For me that's really important - the S is way too low for comfort, the X is okay but obviously costs 4-5x as much as a Kona and the cheapest 75kWh model has less range. As seen with the Ioniq, Hyundai really do appear to have mastered making slippery, efficient cars.
Fair enough, I guess it is horses for courses etc etc :) Ioniq could be a bit peppier though - it's a bit placid for me at low speeds, a bit...tepid? Slushy?

Fair enough, I guess it is horses for courses etc etc :) Ioniq could be a bit peppier though - it's a bit placid for me at low speeds, a bit...tepid? Slushy?

The performance seems to be far above the Ioniq. That car has a much smaller battery and less powerful motor.

Official 0-100 time is 7.6 seconds but I'll wait for someone to put that to the test.

This is the first car I’ve owned where I felt it necessary to have a smartphone mount so I can access my phone easily while driving. This plus the lack of ability to have multiple waypoints in the nav system. It’s a joke.

Have you considered using "A Better Routeplanner"?
Blog Posts – About A Better Routeplanner

Now You Know spoke to the programmer who created it here:

I believe the Model 3 still doesn't have a browser so you couldn't run it in-car, but it does have a lot of options tied to your car if you log in with a Tesla temporary key (token).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: clostridium
The performance seems to be far above the Ioniq. That car has a much smaller battery and less powerful motor.

Official 0-100 time is 7.6 seconds but I'll wait for someone to put that to the test.
I would be surprised if it is under 7 seconds. Supposedly the Bolt weighs a lot less and has the same amount of hp. It is like a second faster to 60 mph than the Kona EV is listed at, but I think that comes down to gearing as it has a lower top speed than the Kona EV as well. Not sure if the 30 additional foot pounds will help all that much.

Against the BMX X1/X3 it does appear to be more pokey.