Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video of a lovely red M3:
Bryan Madrigal on Twitter
( Mirror Streamable - free video publishing )

As a mp4 direct download (using twdown.net) might not work long if hotlinking is blocked...

DFnRHZHUQAAH4Zs.jpg

More from the same account (reposts?)
DFmthAwVoAAbTw7.jpg

EDIT. The one below is not a photo
"BTW Credit of this render goes to Vernon Roberts."
David Sell on Twitter
DFnV2LeU0AAn10l.jpg

Last edited:
It's tough to tell if "production" car means "production intent", "built on the actual production line, but not a final production vehicle," or "final production vehicle going to a customer."

It'd be odd for them to put a license plate on a car that they intend to sell.

What happens to the model 3 RCs after everything goes into production? Are they destroyed or what?

I would be happy to take one or 2 off of Tesla's hand for free to save them paying to have them recycled.

Due to all the liabilites and other BS, the pre production/test vehicles will all get crushed, recycled, made into actual production vehicles.
The RC's will live on in real production vehicles after the whole recycling process. :)

It's tough to tell if "production" car means "production intent", "built on the actual production line, but not a final production vehicle," or "final production vehicle going to a customer."

It'd be odd for them to put a license plate on a car that they intend to sell.
There may be a need to test drive a car they intend to sell, on public roads, in which case it needs a plate. I don't recall the source of the rule (company or law), but when I worked in the industry, we had a fifty mile limit -- over that, and it couldn't be sold as new. Engineers working at the factory drove randomly-selected cars home overnight, to spot check for problems, and I spent a week driving new trucks up and down the highway to check for a problem we could only find at highway speed. We'd put an extra sticker in the window that said "We drove this car [___] miles to make sure it was perfect for you" or something along those lines, so the buyer would understand why the odometer had so many miles on it.

In the options for the Model S there are three possible codes:
TM0A - Alpha, pre-production, non-saleable
TM0B - Beta pre-production, non-saleable
TM0C - Pre-production saleable

From these codes, I would assume they can sell the production candidates, but they probably only sell them to insiders (employees or people close to the company in some way). Over time some of these might become available on the collector's market, probably at well above market rates for a used car. At least this is the case for very early examples of iconic cars.

I know Tesla displays the non-saleable cars at their facilities. I've heard there are a number of pre-production Model S and X at the Fremont factory in a display.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad