Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a new electric car, a smaller one to go with my S. Pondering the Bolt vs 3 (with tough firmly in cheek). The Bolt might be very practical, but if we asked Chevy how many reservations it has for the car, I will be it is a very small number....if any....and those are probably shifting!
I just heard that Model 3 reservations are close to 290,000.

GM doesn't have centralized reservations for the Bolt, so they can't provide an answer to that question. Someone would have to speak with each dealer individually.

Reservations are one thing, but we know there will be more Bolts on the road than Model 3s for some time, probably until at least the end of 2018.

More EVs on the road, sooner than later, is a good thing.

By a napkin-based calculation, assuming that most stores processed through people at a roughly similar rate, with the number of stores in my timezone, I think I am in the first 1000, which is nice to consider. Seems like this was one of those times that sleeping in would have a pretty hefty long-term result. Of course being EST I'll have a longer wait anyways. ;)
On the bright side, getting a later production car is generally preferable from a quality standpoint. Maybe you can justify any additional wait this way. Consumer Reports infamously removed the Model S "Recommended" rating a few months ago, largely based on early production cars' quality problems. I bought a used Signature Model S (VIN under 600) and have had a lot of small-to-medium problems with it in the past three months. It's annoying even with a warranty, but when the warranty is over it'll be a whole different story. (Rattling trim, worn out bolts causing loud clank when moving from a stop, unresponsive door handle, malfunctioning "false positive" parking sensors (OEM parts retrofitted by Tesla), seized side mirrors, charging problems (drops to 30 amps for no apparent reason and says "Charging problem" on dashboard), moisture inside taillights, blurry backup camera...) Tesla is quick to address issues, but in my experience, the problems tend to return after a while.

Just a suggestion, but I think "zero" should really be at 10AM daylight saving time in Sydney on March 31, when the first stores opened for reservations. That was 3/30/2016 23:00 UTC.

Yes, that would make the graph even better. That and an indication of the chosen timezone on the plot.

Btw, End of Saturday in PDT would be 2016-04-03 06:59 (UTC), so the most recent data point comes (just before) 80 hours after the first one, for an average of 3450 reservations an hour, just short of one reservation per second.

Unless the impossible happened and Elon Musk called it a day already at 8:40 pm, in which case the average would be one reservation per second. :)

• Informative
Reactions: 3asy
charging problems (drops to 30 amps for no apparent reason and says "Charging problem" on dashboard)

I have a that issue. This started happening since that firmware update in Dec 2013 (v5.8.4) with the Automatic Charge Current Reduction feature. They have replaced the on-board charger and even sent their recommended electrician to
inspect my brand-new wiring done by my father (30+ year professional electrician). They claim they can't reproduce it, but they can only charge at 208V 40A, which is not 10kW. I've kind of accepted that it will never be fixed. If you ever find a resolution, could you let me know??

• Love
Reactions: Electric Joe
On the bright side, getting a later production car is generally preferable from a quality standpoint. Maybe you can justify any additional wait this way. Consumer Reports infamously removed the Model S "Recommended" rating a few months ago, largely based on early production cars' quality problems. I bought a used Signature Model S (VIN under 600) and have had a lot of small-to-medium problems with it in the past three months. It's annoying even with a warranty, but when the warranty is over it'll be a whole different story. (Rattling trim, worn out bolts causing loud clank when moving from a stop, unresponsive door handle, malfunctioning "false positive" parking sensors (OEM parts retrofitted by Tesla), seized side mirrors, charging problems (drops to 30 amps for no apparent reason and says "Charging problem" on dashboard), moisture inside taillights, blurry backup camera...) Tesla is quick to address issues, but in my experience, the problems tend to return after a while.
Your experience demonstrates that Tesla isn't immune to quality problems that all other auto manufacturers face.

When my Model 3 needs fixin', it will be a long trip to the service center (and maybe a long wait since few centers will exist). A repair visit for the Bolt that I intend to get (to tide me over) will be just a few miles.

I do wonder how they will handle distribution around the world. If you get in line for an iPhone in Sydney you are likely the first on the planet to get one, Those of us on the West Coast already know everything about them from the reports on the Internet before we can lay our hands on them, and they are designed in California!

With the Tesla being created on the West Coast it will be interesting to see how my reservation at 10:02 AM PST compares to the an 8:25 AM reservation in the East Australia Time Zone.

-Randy

I'm thinking they will just keep it private how they will be releasing them because of the complaints they are likely to get. They do what they need to do to be effecient and sometimes that means keeping the consumers out of the loop.

I do wonder how they will handle distribution around the world. If you get in line for an iPhone in Sydney you are likely the first on the planet to get one, Those of us on the West Coast already know everything about them from the reports on the Internet before we can lay our hands on them, and they are designed in California!

With the Tesla being created on the West Coast it will be interesting to see how my reservation at 10:02 AM PST compares to the an 8:25 AM reservation in the East Australia Time Zone.

-Randy

Reactions: 3asy and Lunarx
As someone already said, at this point a big backlog will become a liability to people placing orders. If they know they will have to wait 3 or more years, they may go someplace else. I think he will quit posting backlog numbers
They are parallel processes.

Although counterintuitive, that means more orders result in the possibility to ramp up earlier.
More orders should therefore result in earlier deliveries!