TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Scratches All Over And What Tesla's Tech Said

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Saili, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Saili

Saili New Member

Im sending these pics about a new model 3 thats been purchases 6 months ago. I had a Kia Soul for 10 years and when I sold it the paint was in better condition than my current Model 3.
    Im curious if you guys experience a similar situation. The strange this is that the tech in Tesla mtl literally told me that Tesla’s paint is not good quality and that their head office told them that after the car had driven 250km they will do nothing to fix this problem. For a car at this price this is pathetic to say the least. I wonder if any of you that experienced this pushed the matter further. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg IMG_3716.jpg IMG_3717.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Paint correct and PPF... Tesla's paint is very thin and soft clear coat.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

I'm sorry to see that. How are you washing the car? That looks like it's been washed/dried with a rag that was sitting on the ground and dragged gravel and sand all over the car. Even if you're just drying with a cotton towel, you'll get marks like that all over the car.

• Like x 18
  4. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

That's what I was thinking as well. And as a side note, it is one of the reasons we don't buy dark color cars as problems like this can be more obvious. Feeling bad for the OP about this. Maybe take it to a detail shop and see what they say. Maybe it can be buffed out with something to look better.... or maybe not.

5. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

It looks about as bad as our Model X after it was sideswiped in a parking lot. It's a full repaint.

• Like x 1
  6. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Black IS a tough color to keep looking good. Swirls and scratches in the clear coat are par for the course. Actual paint damage is generally just carelessness. This looks like carelessness to me.

• Like x 11
    • Disagree x 1
  7. verystandard

verystandard Member

A full paint correction + Ceramic Coat either done by professional or DIY (Dual action rotary, Meguiar's M105+M205, then Ceramic Coat) should do the job.

Did you applied any wax or ceramic coat with the car after delivered? how you generally wash your car? Are you washing your car frequently with carwash or what type of chemicals you wash it with your car? Are you driving on dirt road frequent?

Black car is hard to take care, especially Tesla (which unfortunately I got a black model 3 also) it is notorious with its ultra soft paint.

8. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

scratches look like carelessness (dragging the hose against car or whatever). All those tiny white chips though is crazy. They really need to improve their paint.

• Disagree x 1
  9. KenC

KenC Active Member

It's black. If you breathe on it, it'll scratch, and I don't mean just Teslas, but my old Mercedes ML320, black, was just like that.

• Like x 6
  10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Did the car go through a car wash with brushes?

"Touchless" car wash is preferred.

• Like x 2
  11. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

A good detailer could probably polish most of that out, but if you do this, consider getting at least a good ceramic coating if not a full PPF wrap after.

In any case, look into the "two bucket" washing technique, get some good microfiber cloths and towels and some premium (ie not Chemical Guys or Canadian Tire) supplies. CarPro or Griots for example.

You can keep black looking nice, but it does take some gentle effort and materials. Lots on YouTube for "Two Bucket Wash" and CarPro like supplies.

• Like x 3
  12. brobinson

brobinson Member

those are pretty heavy scratches to be from 'normal' wear and tear (i.e. road debris). I'm going to assume that it was improperly washed multiple times.

A decent detailer can take care of most of it, though.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  13. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

Doesn't look like normal wear and tear. That definitely looks like something scraped across the paint.

• Like x 1
  14. NathanielHrnblwr

Looks like car wash rash or poor car washing technique.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  15. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I have noticed that I have one window that seems to be softer and is getting scratched up. Is this even possible as my other pieces of glass seem to be fine? After 9 months, 15k miles and a few hundred Uber rides the paint seems better then I expected. I only have a few minor scratches around the door handles. Going in for paint correction and ceramic coating next week.

16. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

We have two black Model 3’s and both still look flawless. We applied ceramic coating when they were brand new and we hand wash the cars and air dry them (no towels).

I think you can get those scratches fixed with paint correction but unless you apply ceramic after doing so it will probably end up looking the same in another six months.

• Like x 1
  17. aspec818

aspec818 Member

If these scratches were noticed in the first few days Tesla probably would’ve taken care of it. Since it’s been months, it’s on the owner. Tesla paint isn’t worse than any other. Your black paint is the culprit. It shows any scratches and all swirlmarks. You need to take utmost care of it (no auto car washes) if you don’t want imperfections showing. The good news is all those scratches are just surface scratches and can be buffed out. A professional detailer can take care of it for you if you don’t have experience in detailing.

• Like x 1
  18. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

I noticed how my wife has her purse over her arm when she gets in, and that tends to drag on the door edge when she gets in/out. Some of those scratches look repetitive...

I'll wager you didn't take delivery with it looking like that, and honestly, I think after 6 months you cant expect the company to correct what looks like abuse under warranty.

• Like x 4
  19. thaian207

thaian207 Member

My black model 3 is 3 months old and it looks as good as the day I got it. Black is not multicoats like the upgraded colors but with proper care it will last a very long time. Those marks should buff out just bring it to a detailer.

• Like x 1
  20. electronblue

electronblue Active Member