Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 set to dominate it's category as early as next month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
Interesting. Why is the word "waive" used then rather than "defer" or "invest"?

Because I am German, hence non-native-English speaker, and "temporarily waive" was the first expression that came to my mind when trying to translate "vorübergehend auf etwas verzichten". Sorry if it is not the perfect translation.

Because I am German, hence non-native-English speaker, and "temporarily waive" was the first expression that came to my mind when trying to translate "vorübergehend auf etwas verzichten". Sorry if it is not the perfect translation.
No reason to excuse your English; most Americans would be so lucky.

Waive is fine, but a qualifier explaining that usual pay increases may be paid later would have been informative. After all, the workers are waiving some amount of opportunity now, not to mention the possibility that they get fired in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinPowers
Waive is fine, but a qualifier explaining that usual pay increases may be paid later would have been informative. After all, the workers are waiving some amount of opportunity now, not to mention the possibility that they get fired in the future.

Quite right. Otoh, jobs at Porsche (a friend of mine and one of our neighbours work there) tend to be quite secure - if you don't screw up big time of course. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Sept 2018 update:

Tesla total US sales (3 models) for Sept: 29,975
BMW total US sales (12 models) for Sept: 25,908
BMW and Mini sales US combined Sept : 29.369

BMW sedans and coupes were down almost 10% from last year. BMW was saved by increased light truck sales from the X3. Tesla Model X outsold the X5 by over 2:1. Once the Model Y arrives expect X3 sales to tank as well. At least poor BMW has a couple of years to enjoy some revenue for that X3.

Total domination.

Sept 2018 update:

Tesla total US sales (3 models) for Sept: 29,975
BMW total US sales (12 models) for Sept: 25,908
BMW and Mini sales US combined Sept : 29.369

BMW sedans and coupes were down almost 10% from last year. BMW was saved by increased light truck sales from the X3. Tesla Model X outsold the X5 by over 2:1. Once the Model Y arrives expect X3 sales to tank as well. At least poor BMW has a couple of years to enjoy some revenue for that X3.

Total domination.
Link? That would break my 60K Model 3s upper end estimate boundary for Q3.

Domination indeed.

and to think @FlatSix911 didn't think Tesla would delay hitting the 200k mark until July 2018. Look at the elbow in that curve once they hit 200k. (light blue line in the top graph, the entire chart for the bottom image)

444.png

333-2.png

Suppose I should put this here, as well, rather than just in the investor thread. Still waiting on Audi to report for Sept, so their numbers are estimates (in yellow). The graph pits the Model 3 vs Lexus IS, C-Class, A4, and 3-series for the past five months. The chart above does the same, and also shows Tesla as a brand vs BMW/Audi/Merc/Lexus as brands. In September Tesla overtook them all (in the US) by unit sales. Tesla also overtook the combined BMW/Mini group in September.

upload_2018-10-2_15-56-13.png

No, that 29K is total Teslas all models. They sold 54,300 Models 3s in the US for Q3 Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard and a total of 55840 in US and Canada (according to TSLA press release)
The BMW numbers come directly from BMW group USA BMW Group U.S. Reports July 2018 Sales.
Ah, ok that'd be more in line with what I was expecting. Looks like Tesla is now officially stating 55,840 Model 3s delivered in Q3 but that'll include Canada.

@Zaxxon Yup. Although I usually see Acura TLX, the smaller Caddie (ATS?), and Volvo S60 grouped in with those, too as "luxury compact".

In September Tesla overtook them all (in the US) by unit sales. Tesla also overtook the combined BMW/Mini group in September.
Tesla has made a bigger pie in the defined segment; in general the legacy manufacturer sales are holding up.
That is probably good news since it implies that Tesla buyers are not easily pigeon-holed but I would like to see pressure put on the German makes to put their EV plans in high gear.

Tesla has made a bigger pie in the defined segment; in general the legacy manufacturer sales are holding up.
That is probably good news since it implies that Tesla buyers are not easily pigeon-holed but I would like to see pressure put on the German makes to put their EV plans in high gear.

They're holding up month to month, but not year over year. C Class is down 24% YoY. 3 Series is down 40% YoY. IS down 12% YoY. A4 is the only one in my chart up YoY other than the 3.

In short, no. It's not just a bigger pie. The other manufacturers are losing significant volume.

They're holding up month to month, but not year over year. C Class is down 24% YoY. 3 Series is down 40% YoY. IS down 12% YoY. A4 is the only one in my chart up YoY other than the 3.

In short, no. It's not just a bigger pie. The other manufacturers are losing significant volume.

MB is well down.
BMW and Audi slightly up, and with 1 less selling day.
BMW and Audi growth is in CUV/SUV.

But car sales in particular are down, and premium segment sales were unspectacular in September. I don't think we can very obviously point and say there's a particular Tesla effect. I think Tesla probably drew its sales from many different places.