Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Snow Exposure = Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good find. Also, if you plan to use the cabin heater remotely to thaw out the cabin, If your heater is on "Manual" when turning off the car in the evening, it's a good idea (during freezing weather) to make sure the A/C is "off" and the fan is on a high enough setting to thaw out the cabin in the morning. Sometimes I use A/C to defog window glass in humid weather and forget to turn it off. This greatly reduces the speed of defrosting the entire cabin.

When the temperature is low (below freezing ?) and you remotely turn on cabin heat. The “red” defrost is active (heat on windshield with blower high). No need to fiddle with HVAC every time you leave and enter the car. As soon as you enter the car it reverts to previous settings.

When the temperature is low (below freezing ?) and you remotely turn on cabin heat. The “red” defrost is active (heat on windshield with blower high). No need to fiddle with HVAC every time you leave and enter the car. As soon as you enter the car it reverts to previous settings.

Are you saying when using the climate control remotely it always goes to "Auto" settings? Maybe that's new behavior with recent firmware? Or maybe it's temperature dependent?

NOW we know why Elon invented the Not a Flamethrower!

Elon Musk's 'not a flamethrower' devices show up on eBay for thousands

Seriously, though, Tesla should probably spend a few more bucks in climate testing prior to releasing their cars. Then they might consider running short strips of resistance wiring/heater tape near all the door handles, window seals (at door edge I'd guess?) and possibly at/near the body rubber seals too? Oh, and how about the charge port door too? (Oh, now I'm getting giddy--make this available for the S and X, but ALSO include arm rest heaters:)

They don't need to run all the time, just either on a manual App switch, or when being charged with an OAT below freezing, or predicted to be below freezing with local humidity above xx% (all easily pulled from the cloud), or set to a timer, say 20 minutes before you'd leave for work, assuming the battery was at least at xx% SOC? Such easy software to play with, and allow the user to set as desired perhaps?

Ok, so it'll cost "something." Make it part of a Sub Zero, Severe Cold Weather Package, or just make it standard and increase the price by ~$500?

Not rocket science--Elon, get it done. You're already making the Best Cars on the Planet; let's make 'em even better!

Are you saying when using the climate control remotely it always goes to "Auto" settings? Maybe that's new behavior with recent firmware? Or maybe it's temperature dependent?

I’m not sure if it’s what Auto would normally do, since I never have Auto on and don’t know how it behaves. But it might be doing that, and probably makes sense if it has the brains to do that. But you can see the defrost icon lights up in the phone app when it’s extra cold out.

I applied some silicone lube today on the back inside of the door handles and on the charge port lever. Hopefully that prevents them from freezing some. Bought some Rain-X Windshield De-Icer for when the windows won't open. We'll see how the next snow day goes.

Today I also opened the driver side window while driving for a second. When I closed it I noticed that the window brought up a lot of moisture from inside of the door. Its been dry for two days. This is consistent with my suspicion that the bottom weather seals don't work too well and lead to freezing inside the door.

Today I also opened the driver side window while driving for a second. When I closed it I noticed that the window brought up a lot of moisture from inside of the door. Its been dry for two days. This is consistent with my suspicion that the bottom weather seals don't work too well and lead to freezing inside the door.

You have a fundamental misconception about the design and function of car windows. There are no "bottom weather seals" on the side windows. The side windows slide on a "felt" gasket that is designed to support the glass, not keep out water. The water is supposed to flow past the "felt" runner to the bottom inside of the door where it can drain out of weep holes. All cars work this way, the Model 3 is not unique.

You might consider checking the weep holes at the bottom of the door to make sure they are not plugged with something.

If your windows are freezing to the "felt" runner you might apply some silicone to it. Yes, it might leave a little minor streaking on the glass for a couple of days as you roll the windows up/down but it polishes off easily and will soon stop streaking. That will reduce the amount of water the synthetic "felt" sliders absorb.

Everyone keeps talking about water inside of the door but no-one is mentioning where inside of the door? I've been inside of the door more than I car to mention and I just can't see where moisture would sit.

Please let us know WHERE the moisture is inside of the door. Its certainly NOT coming from inside of the cabin because that door comes from the factor more sealed from the cabin than I've ever seen.

Can someone please open up their door and take a picture of the moisture inside of your door?

The design of the Model 3 is flawed this way for cold climate use.
The door glass has to drop before the door will open. And if it has frozen then the glass isn't going to drop.
In SK we get the odd warm spell from the mountains. The wind will blow and it can be close to zero with a snow/rain mix.
The next day it can be -35 and the windows are frozen shut on all cars and trucks. But with these designs just have you muscle the door open. You can drive all the way to work and the windows will still be frozen. They can stay like this for a week at a time if your car lives outside. If anyone from SK reads this they will know exactly what I speak of LOL!
The Model 3 will undergo a design change for the 2nd gen. No make would allow this to continue. Probably get some real handles you can open with a mitt at the same time.

You have a fundamental misconception about the design and function of car windows. There are no "bottom weather seals" on the side windows. The side windows slide on a "felt" gasket that is designed to support the glass, not keep out water. The water is supposed to flow past the "felt" runner to the bottom inside of the door where it can drain out of weep holes. All cars work this way, the Model 3 is not unique.

You might consider checking the weep holes at the bottom of the door to make sure they are not plugged with something.

If your windows are freezing to the "felt" runner you might apply some silicone to it. Yes, it might leave a little minor streaking on the glass for a couple of days as you roll the windows up/down but it polishes off easily and will soon stop streaking. That will reduce the amount of water the synthetic "felt" sliders absorb.

This is true. The gasket at the bottom of the glass is designed to hold the glass and shed most of the water. But some water will get by.
And the glass can freeze to the gasket. The inside mech is not freezing.
Do not scape low enough to damage the gasket. Where I live your windows remain frozen until it warms up.

No it does fine in just cold. Its whenever you have moisture + cold. So far this has happened when there was either rain or snow in mild weather, followed by freezing temps. I have had maybe a month of mild winter weather so far. Have had a major problem only once as described by the first post. However have run into a stubborn handle maybe once a week.

The door handle seems to freeze very easily, as the door handle pocket is sort of a collection pool for water, and does not drain very well. Part of the problem I think is that the part of the handle you press to open the door is short about the pivot point, while the part that is frozen has a long arm about the pivot point. From a physics perspective, the amount of force you need to apply to the handle when frozen is several times greater than the breaking strength of the ice, due to this ratio of arm length.

The windows also freeze, but this seems to be a problem of the frameless design (since window operation is required to open/close the door) and not unique to Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: des16
Everyone keeps talking about water inside of the door but no-one is mentioning where inside of the door? I've been inside of the door more than I car to mention and I just can't see where moisture would sit.

Please let us know WHERE the moisture is inside of the door. Its certainly NOT coming from inside of the cabin because that door comes from the factor more sealed from the cabin than I've ever seen.

Can someone please open up their door and take a picture of the moisture inside of your door?
When I roll up the window after several days of dry weather I can see the window tracking up moisture (on the outside) from somewhere inside the door. I haven't seen the door design/framing the Model 3 has, but it would seem to me that the door is retaining moisture somewhere.

When I roll up the window after several days of dry weather I can see the window tracking up moisture (on the outside) from somewhere inside the door. I haven't seen the door design/framing the Model 3 has, but it would seem to me that the door is retaining moisture somewhere.
again...

I can't imagine where moisture would be coming from. Moisture has plenty opportunities to escape and dry out - just like an ICE car does. My P3D+ doesn't do that at all.

I wash my car at least 3 times a week during the winter with no moisture at all showing up on the outside of the window.

Have you applied this along the bottom of the window? Im debating doing this but have seen some people complaining about long-term smearing after doing this.

Indeed - you do get long time streaking with that product. Sure - your windows won't stick, however it would take some time to get out of the felt window material.
I wouldn't go through drive-thru's with it on my felt, but...…

That's why dry-silicone based products are best for windows.

a05a1fc1-eb6f-46a7-9b33-e316195ed30c_1.6f5713174d18d80cc76ed8b323cb7723.png

I applied some silicone lube today on the back inside of the door handles and on the charge port lever. Hopefully that prevents them from freezing some. Bought some Rain-X Windshield De-Icer for when the windows won't open. We'll see how the next snow day goes.

I agree. I think those felt gaskets retain water for way too long. That's why some folks say run a credit car along the window to break it free.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe