Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I love your idea of being able to turn this off or not.... the car is starting to turn into my Samsung Note 8 android phone.

There are a billion options and settings in my phone and I can never simply find the option I want because some bozo hid the setting under some obscure/unrelated heading that they selected in the middle of a drinking binge.

How about this option: When the car isn't plugged in to anything and the door is opened - don't startup the radio and HVAC. However when the car is plugged in ....go ahead and turn those options on

That way it doesn't become another screen button - IN MY BUTTONLESS CAR. lol

Unfortunately for my use case I want the exact opposite. When my car is plugged in at home I have zero reason for everything to kick on when I open the door. The car is plugged in so I’m clearly not going anywhere and it’s at home so it’s in the garage and at a moderate temperature. If I wanted it preconditioned before departure I would have done so from my sofa.

When the car isn’t plugged in it’s likely to be outdoors and I’m likely to be going somewhere when I open the door. In this case I certainly want the HVAC to kick on as quickly as possible to bring the cabin to a comfortable temperature.

What I don’t need is my car in the garage, plugged in, not going anywhere, to fire up the HVAC and EVSE for 90 seconds while I get a box of Tide out of the back seat that I forgot to bring in from the grocery store. The car can stay inert and avoid wasting electricity and adding a wear cycle to its components.

Unfortunately for my use case I want the exact opposite. When my car is plugged in at home I have zero reason for everything to kick on when I open the door. The car is plugged in so I’m clearly not going anywhere and it’s at home so it’s in the garage and at a moderate temperature. If I wanted it preconditioned before departure I would have done so from my sofa.

When the car isn’t plugged in it’s likely to be outdoors and I’m likely to be going somewhere when I open the door. In this case I certainly want the HVAC to kick on as quickly as possible to bring the cabin to a comfortable temperature.

What I don’t need is my car in the garage, plugged in, not going anywhere, to fire up the HVAC and EVSE for 90 seconds while I get a box of Tide out of the back seat that I forgot to bring in from the grocery store. The car can stay inert and avoid wasting electricity and adding a wear cycle to its components.

That makes sense.

As long as I can ( at home ) remotely turn the car's HVAC and such from the Tesla app....I can go with that.

And more importantly to me....it won't be another button/option on the screen.

I like that idea. The garage door opener in the car is obviously geofenced. They can do the same with the radio and HVAC also.

Why do you think they would be worried about the fence?

I meant to say they would be worried about theft when clueless owners said the car is "home" and it's parked out on the street and now the car is left unlocked.

At a minimum they would want to have a disclaimer and maybe even a "home mode for dummies" video you had to watch so that the world's dumbasses understand what they are getting when they turn it on.

I meant to say they would be worried about theft when clueless owners said the car is "home" and it's parked out on the street and now the car is left unlocked.

At a minimum they would want to have a disclaimer and maybe even a "home mode for dummies" video you had to watch so that the world's dumbasses understand what they are getting when they turn it on.

Hmmm...I don't understand. What would that have to do with HVAC or the radio being on? Geofence doesn't keep the car unlocked or anything when I'm home. My car locks when it is in the garage and my phone is out of reach - as a matter of fact my car locks everywhere it goes when its out of range of my car.

Easy fix for both.
I turn my HVAC off before getting out of the car in the garage by pushing/hold the fan symbol. Doesn’t auto start when re-entering the car.
I prevent the WC from firing up by leaving charging time set to 2am if charge required OR charge level 50% if the battery is above that.

My 3 is parked inside for the winter now. HVAC selected off, battery charged to 90% and charge level set to 50% and plugged in. I can get in and out (with all the recent software updates) with nothing triggered.

Easy fix for both.
I turn my HVAC off before getting out of the car in the garage by pushing/hold the fan symbol. Doesn’t auto start when re-entering the car.
I prevent the WC from firing up by leaving charging time set to 2am if charge required OR charge level 50% if the battery is above that.

My 3 is parked inside for the winter now. HVAC selected off, battery charged to 90% and charge level set to 50% and plugged in. I can get in and out (with all the recent software updates) with nothing triggered.

While this is in fact a solution I’m not up for manipulating HVAC settings and charge profile settings twice a day.

The car already knows it’s at home (charge timer and garage door geofencing) so it should be simple software to keep it from firing everything up while it’s plugged in at home.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Easy fix for both.

My car is set to start charging at 12AM.

However when I open the door and my HVAC and/or any other accessory starts working my WC starts ( which is fine by me ) working. I don't mind it at all, however there are some that don't like it.

So.... it doesn't matter what time your car is set to start charging or the pre-set charge rate limits. . What matters is what accessories startup your WC.

I'm not into trying to remember more and more every time I get out of the car. I'm looking to remember less and less. I'm looking for automation to do this stuff for me.
I mean geesh...I've finally gotten rid of having to remember my keys..... now I have to remember to turn the HVAC off? Nope....my brain is over stuffed as it is. lol

My car is set to start charging at 12AM.

However when I open the door and my HVAC and/or any other accessory starts working my WC starts ( which is fine by me ) working. I don't mind it at all, however there are some that don't like it.

So.... it doesn't matter what time your car is set to start charging or the pre-set charge rate limits. . What matters is what accessories startup your WC.

This poster is correct though that if you have a charge timer set AND manually switch off all HVAC before exiting the car it will not kick on the charger when you get in and out of the car.

I’m not up for an additional 700 HVAC manipulations per year to circumvent a design choice that provides me no value.

Reactions: 03DSG
This poster is correct though that if you have a charge timer set AND manually switch off all HVAC before exiting the car it will not kick on the charger when you get in and out of the car.

I’m not up for an additional 700 HVAC manipulations per year to circumvent a design choice that provides me no value.

Yes he is correct, however there is another very small component that he didn't mention.

I have to "remember" to turn off HVAC every day. AND turn it back on. EVERY TIME I get in and out - but only at home.

I'm not willing to add that to my brains calendar. ( I'm gettin tired just thinking about it ).

Tesla automation can do it. For goodness sake - the car can drive itself. It can't remember to not turn on the AC when I open the door at home? LOL

Hmmm...I don't understand. What would that have to do with HVAC or the radio being on? Geofence doesn't keep the car unlocked or anything when I'm home. My car locks when it is in the garage and my phone is out of reach - as a matter of fact my car locks everywhere it goes when its out of range of my car.

A lot of us (me) desire to have the car not lock when it's garaged at home. It's kind of annoying to have to unlock the car when, for example, my wife wants to retrieve something left in the car and doesn't have my phone with her.

A "home" geofence mode offers up a lot of things Tesla could do on owner's wishlists;

1. No auto locking when home.
2. Disable automatic climate/radio activation when at home and a door is opened.
3. Unlock charge port after charging complete when the car is at a home location to get rid of the annoyance of having to wait for the car to wake in the morning before you can unplug it.
4. Other stuff I'm probably not thinking of.

A lot of us (me) desire to have the car not lock when it's garaged at home. It's kind of annoying to have to unlock the car when, for example, my wife wants to retrieve something left in the car and doesn't have my phone with her.

A "home" geofence mode offers up a lot of things Tesla could do on owner's wishlists;

2. Disable automatic climate/radio activation when at home and a door is opened.
3. Unlock charge port after charging complete when the car is at a home location to get rid of the annoyance of having to wait for the car to wake in the morning before you can unplug it.

I would love to have all the features you suggested. Cmon Tesla, Home settings please!

Yes, this.

Maybe it only unlocks when done charging if exterior temp is below X ?

I believe this is the case, but haven't done rigorous testing.

I would love to have all the features you suggested. Cmon Tesla, Home settings please!

Check out TeslaFi for now if you want this sort of thing. You can schedule and geofence all sorts of things in addition to the data-logging features of TeslaFi.

Reactions: emorog
I just want a geofencing option to keep my car unlocked at my house.