Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you able to use your phone as a hotspot? If so then you can try that. Not sure about your phone data plan and how big are the Tesla updates, it may use a large portion of your data alotmeall if you don't have unlimited data.

Looking at my router info, the software updates appear to be about 1/2 GB (don't know if Ver 9 will be significantly bigger). The issue is if you have an allotment, once you connect to WiFi, Tesla will also download the map updates which are 5-6 GB (got two of these in the past month).

That's a new one for me. Thought they only got delivered over wifi.

No, not at all, in fact, when I got my Model 3 it didn't even have WiFi capability!

There are some theories floating around that you might get updates faster on WiFi, but I don't think this has been outright proven.

I think there is some confusion over the premium connectivity announcement for cars ordered/bought after July 1. It's not that updates won't be provided at all over LTE (clearly they will, as some people simply don't have WiFi available where their car is parked), but map updates, live traffic and media streaming will not be available (after the first year?) unless you pay for the enhanced connectivity package.

Speaking of WiFi connectivity... Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anybody else seem to receive a very weak WiFi signal in their car? It's almost like the WiFi antenna in the car isn't very powerful compared to other devices.
My phone gets around 50% but the Tesla shows just barely one "dot", no lines on the WiFi symbol.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Capture.JPG

Speaking of WiFi connectivity... Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anybody else seem to receive a very weak WiFi signal in their car? It's almost like the WiFi antenna in the car isn't very powerful compared to other devices.
My phone gets around 50% but the Tesla shows just barely one "dot", no lines on the WiFi symbol.

initially, i had this problem but it has been resolved. it felt like my access points have been fighting to the point that i got a rogue access point alert. after that, car is reliably showing similar WIFI signal strength as iphone xs.

Yeah...but....sometimes it seems like Elon doesn't understand the words he uses...like wide and now

But here's hoping. TeslaFi is reporting a total of 24 vehicles on 39.x now, although this is still less than 1% of the reporting population, and it may be due to the recent expansion of the early access program (and people that didn't shut off TeslaFi).

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and DDotJ
Yeah...but....sometimes it seems like Elon doesn't understand the words he uses...like wide and now

But here's hoping. TeslaFi is reporting a total of 24 vehicles on 39.x now, although this is still less than 1% of the reporting population, and it may be due to the recent expansion of the early access program (and people that didn't shut off TeslaFi).
Or may be we don't understand internal Tesla standard operating procedures. :)

We got an email last night telling us about the v9 update - with this little note:
To receive these updates as quickly as possible, make sure your car is connected to WiFi.
I was feeling patient about it until they sent that! So I'm connected and waiting..

I’ve had my car parked outside my office window with strong 5g WiFi connection- for 24hours -still no up date- was hoping it might download before my road trip.

If you have a 3, you may be waiting awhile.

If 39.6 (or later) is the supposed wide releaes of V9, then at this time only S & X have it. According to TeslaFi, only 7.8% of the S & X reporting fleet has this rev.

No reporting Model 3's have it yet.