Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR vs. SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I second this write-up, and parts, request as I would love to get the "extra" speakers working if I could do it safely myself, without harming the interior panels, etc.... I have no desire for the sub, but the rear deck speakers and the front pillars would be GREAT!

Not sure if the write up is by the same poster ; but on this forum there is a very detailed write up and picture guidance from someone who did this. I am sure if you put in the correct search terms it will come up.

Reactions: ElectricEel
Do you have a write up on this?

Sounds like an excellent upgrade.
I second this write-up, and parts, request as I would love to get the "extra" speakers working if I could do it safely myself, without harming the interior panels, etc.... I have no desire for the sub, but the rear deck speakers and the front pillars would be GREAT!

Yes this is it, Guide: Model 3 SR+ aftermarket to enable speakers and subwoofer upgrade install - Tesla Owners Online

There is also one on TMC I can't find it.
To save yourself some money buy a small vented subwoofer, yes you NEED a subwoofer. The car can no reproduce the lower Hz at a high enough DB to make music sound full.

How I got away with $250, I used an old Bose vented subwoofer from a eBay ($50) and I bought a used 5.1 amp for $100, the rest was wiring and miss stuff.

Also read the guide over and over until you feel feel comfortable, then proceed and follow the guide to a T.

Reactions: Proflig8tor
Stress free, except for the phantom braking anomalies that can happen on TACC, when you drive under overpasses, shadows, etc... I had the 2 week free trial, back in May, and by the end of it I was Very Happy Not to have spent any extra money (very significant $$$) for AP or FSD.

This was my wife's issue as well. She used it for a short time and felt it would randomly slam on the brakes as shadows from semi's getting over and overpasses as well. It is certainly a cool feature, but for her an her 6 miles a day commute she didn't find it justifiable to spend $4,500 on that.
I have had my M3 since August and use AP every day on my 22 mile (each way) commute. It is extremely rare that I get any phantom braking (I can't remember the last time). It may not be perfect, but it is pretty damned good and I wouldn't want to be without AP as it makes the Orange County Drive SOO much more relaxing (the Reus sound system also helps, but that is a different thread).

And FWIW, I am in my mid 50's (turn 55 next Wednesday in fact).

That's incredible. ... and even though I've built $90,000+ instrument panels for airplanes ... egads, nope.

You have my respect Sir and if you ever want a job as an avionics technician ....

+1 Wow!.

I wish Tesla had software deactivated them, then trial it out like AP for those who want to upgrade a la carte. I might pay someone to do it if I still have the car after warranty. I can see it now convert your SR speakers for $XXX

I can't imagine wanting to spend $36k on a fantastic car, but not spending 10% more to make it so much better.

A BIG part of why these cars are so good are the range and the AP.
You're spending 90% of the money as someone with an SR+ and only getting a car that's 50% as good.

I can't imagine wanting to spend $36k on a fantastic car, but not spending 10% more to make it so much better.

You're spending 90% of the money as someone with an SR+ and only getting a car that's 50% as good.

Range is ~ the same if you charge the SR to 100%.

I like the option to do AP in the future at a lower special price (i'm hoping soon with Q4/Q1 specials). + credit card points that I couldn't do with initial car purchase.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Range is ~ the same if you charge the SR to 100%.

I like the option to do AP in the future at a lower special price (i'm hoping soon with Q4/Q1 specials). + credit card points that I couldn't do with initial car purchase.

I don't believe that the price of AP has ever gone down.
And you charging to 100% is not the same as an SR+ charging to 100%. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Because I spent 10% less and got more than 90% of the car IMSNHO... I can't charge more than 90% on a daily basis anyway, and AP really isn't worth it to me. And I could always upgrade for the same money if I decided I was wrong.

I've owned a LR RWD for over a year now with EAP, which to me was a complete waste of money and if I could get a 3k credit to go down to just TACC I'd do it in a heartbeat. Tomorrow we are picking up an SR for my wife who has 0 interest in AP since she's been in the car and screamed multiple times "Why do you use this?!" when the AP randomly slams on the brakes on highways. She also has serious neck issues and is very prone to whiplash incidents. So for 4k less we are getting a car that basically has the same "day to day" range as an SR+ since we can charge to 100% and no TACC. We get the $1875 rebate right before expiration and a $2k instant rebate in NY state, Making the car more like $31k. Perfectly fine with that. Different strokes for different folks. I talked her out of a BMW X1 for this car.

I've owned a LR RWD for over a year now with EAP, which to me was a complete waste of money and if I could get a 3k credit to go down to just TACC I'd do it in a heartbeat. Tomorrow we are picking up an SR for my wife who has 0 interest in AP since she's been in the car and screamed multiple times "Why do you use this?!" when the AP randomly slams on the brakes on highways. She also has serious neck issues and is very prone to whiplash incidents. So for 4k less we are getting a car that basically has the same "day to day" range as an SR+ since we can charge to 100% and no TACC. We get the $1875 rebate right before expiration and a $2k instant rebate in NY state, Making the car more like $31k. Perfectly fine with that. Different strokes for different folks. I talked her out of a BMW X1 for this car.

+ with the SR you or a future owner can upgrade to + or AP at anytime.

• Disagree
And you charging to 100% is not the same as an SR+ charging to 100%. You're not comparing apples to apples.

AP was $2K for some time this year Who bought their car in March with basic autopilot for $2k
so it does change. Hasn't gone down since then though

You're right SR+ charging to 100% routinely is bad for the battery. Not the SR since it's protected

• Disagree

Meh. I originally ordered the SR+, but then switched to an inventory LR AWD (with extra cost red paint, white seats, and 19" wheels) because of the year-end deadline looming.

I didn't know you could get a SR or Stealth at the time I was buying.

In the end, I got a much better car than a SR+, which is a much better car than a SR, but apparently according to some, I was a fool and should have spent more to get a Stealth, and if I got a Stealth, according to others, I was a fool and should have spent more to get a Performance. And then with the Performance, I could have just spent more to get a top of the line Model S that will blow the doors off the Model 3 Performance.

There's some serious satisfaction to getting a car as good as a new Model 3 for only $35K that still has the all of the really valuable benefits without all the nice-to-haves. I sometimes feel a little silly for spending all the extra dough for the one I got, and sometimes feel silly for not spending more to get the Stealth or Performance.

There's always something better for more money out there...

Last edited:
Meh. I originally ordered the SR+, but then switched to an inventory LR AWD (with extra cost red paint, white seats, and 19" wheels) because of the year-end deadline looming.

[snip]

There's some serious satisfaction to getting a car as good as a new Model 3 for only $35K
I'm assuming you didn't get a LR AWD for $35K (you're just speaking generically with the $35K figure)?

In the end, I got a much better car than a SR+, which is a much better car than a SR...
I would call the step up from SR+ to LR AWD a much bigger step than SR to SR+.

With the former, you get a larger battery and a second motor. With the latter you get a little extra range (which is software controlled) but not other differences.

I'm assuming you didn't get a LR AWD for $35K (you're just speaking generically with the $35K figure)?

I would call the step up from SR+ to LR AWD a much bigger step than SR to SR+.

With the former, you get a larger battery and a second motor. With the latter you get a little extra range (which is software controlled) but not other differences.

Just re-read my post to answer your questions. And yes, I know I got a second motor and bigger battery.

I'd do it for the range alone. My gf doesn't like autopilot but loves the TACC. Maybe because we have a later build (delivered 12/26/19), but we haven't noticed any strange phantom stopping with the cruise control... and we've logged almost 2,000 miles in less than a month. The TACC is definitely something I like a whole lot more than I expected I would. Stop and go traffic is so much better with it. If you don't live somewhere that has bumper to bumper traffic, I guess it would have less value. Next year, when we get our second model 3, I'm going for the LR AWD simply for the added range.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ