Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the reveal event Elon mention all Model 3's will have supercharger hardware and on the screen it showed supercharger capability.

He never mentioned free for life like the Model S.

Thoughts? Does this strongly hint a pay per use model will be implemented for the Model 3?

InsideEVs says: (at Tesla Model 3 Arrives: 215 Miles Of Range, $35,000 - Full Details)
All cars will also have Supercharging as standard, of which Musk says the company will double the amount of Supercharger by the time the Model 3 launches – more than ~7,200 points, while “Destination” charge points will quadruple.
To me that says it will be fully functional Supercharging the same as we know it today. Call me an optimist but I'm not expecting a pay-per-use charge at all.

Reactions: MP3Mike
InsideEVs says: (at Tesla Model 3 Arrives: 215 Miles Of Range, $35,000 - Full Details)
All cars will also have Supercharging as standard, of which Musk says the company will double the amount of Supercharger by the time the Model 3 launches – more than ~7,200 points, while “Destination” charge points will quadruple.
To me that says it will be fully functional Supercharging the same as we know it today. Call me an optimist but I'm not expecting a pay-per-use charge at all.

What we shouldnt forget though is that they are expanding into different countries. I would say realistically, it will be 1.5~1.7 times how many there are now where superchargers are set up. Plus Canada needs more than double the superchargers we have now. Double of what we have now still wouldnt connect the countries coast to coast I think.
In the end, I like that they are planning on expanding aggressively and can't wait till the deliveries start!!

Reactions: FequalsMA
What we shouldnt forget though is that they are expanding into different countries. I would say realistically, it will be 1.5~1.7 times how many there are now where superchargers are set up. Plus Canada needs more than double the superchargers we have now. Double of what we have now still wouldnt connect the countries coast to coast I think.
In the end, I like that they are planning on expanding aggressively and can't wait till the deliveries start!!

The good news is that since the will taper off the number of new SC's in US city areas they can hopefully start refocusing new SC's in Canada in general.

Of course supercharging is not free. Please just stop with the "free" already.

Elon's comments in the reveal seemed clear to me, supercharging will be included in the base price of $35,000.

He did not say for how long, but in the past Elon has said all Teslas will include supercharging for the life of the car.

GSP

Reactions: Chuq
But will the standard supercharging be unlimited?

He gave a whole speech about how important supercharging was and never once said free long distance for life like he has in the past. I think that was a notable omission.

For him to say supercharging, and to not mean free supercharging, is deceptive, and many may think lying by omission.

And he would absolutely never, ever, do that, no sir. :p

I think he might have been careful not to use the F word to allow them flexibility with the model.

Average is $42k: $35k +$2k for Supercharging + $2.5k for Autopilot, then a number of people will choose higher spec stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: jim3cantos
I am VERY new here, but at the risk of sounding like a pedantic a-hole, I would say that it is somewhat "entitled" to expect that the access for superchargers should be for "free". After all this is a for-profit business; and someone needs to pay for the infrastructure and costs associated with operating such stations. I can see a model in the future where there is a "pay-as-you-use" fee. Fair is Fair.

As others have mentioned Tesla is a for profit business. For the amount of potential new Model 3 customers the same strategy used for the Model S wouldn't work. Free internet and unlimited free supercharging didn't make good business sense for these numbers.

Think about other businesses that offered equipment as standard for a product where we don't expect free for life (GM Onstar, 3g/lte cell phone service, cell phone tethering, sirus xm, cable).

Look at the abuse that happens with the Model S now at some superchargers (eg locals charging frequently, Uber drivers charging to cover their costs, etc).

A reasonable fee would solve a lot of potential abuse. Tesla wouldn't even have to overhaul existing supercharger hardware. Each car is linked to their Tesla network and specific user ID. Kind of like EZ Pass they can charge based on usage and a user can monitor their usage through the Tesla website.

Hmmm, well I'd say that pretty much settles it. Now it's just a question of paying a lump sum for lifetime or pay as you go, or maybe you can choose which option?

Exactly. That's how I read it: the car can do it and there may be different models for payment for actual supercharging. I feel that a small fee per use of supercharger - one that is automatically taken off your credit card - would be great.

Indeed, I think it would be fantastic to have a model where Model 3 owners pay
- nothing fro the first 15 Minutes
- 5 USD up to 1 hour
- 100 USD per hour if you charge longer than one hour

Or something like that. It would more than cover the electricity and get some supercharging etiquette into people's heads...