TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Supercharging Capability?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by loganss, Mar 31, 2016.

1. loganss

loganss Spaceman

At the reveal event Elon mention all Model 3's will have supercharger hardware and on the screen it showed supercharger capability.

He never mentioned free for life like the Model S.

Thoughts? Does this strongly hint a pay per use model will be implemented for the Model 3?

2. Chuq

Chuq Member

InsideEVs says: (at Tesla Model 3 Arrives: 215 Miles Of Range, $35,000 - Full Details)
    All cars will also have Supercharging as standard, of which Musk says the company will double the amount of Supercharger by the time the Model 3 launches – more than ~7,200 points, while “Destination” charge points will quadruple.
    To me that says it will be fully functional Supercharging the same as we know it today. Call me an optimist but I'm not expecting a pay-per-use charge at all.

• Like x 1
  3. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

I kind of read it to mean standard as in free but the autopilot def sounds like the hardware will be standard but you will need to pay to activate it. Just my 2 cents.

• Like x 3
  4. Colsla

Colsla Member

What we shouldnt forget though is that they are expanding into different countries. I would say realistically, it will be 1.5~1.7 times how many there are now where superchargers are set up. Plus Canada needs more than double the superchargers we have now. Double of what we have now still wouldnt connect the countries coast to coast I think.
    In the end, I like that they are planning on expanding aggressively and can't wait till the deliveries start!!

• Like x 1
  5. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Ecstatic to hear that SC will be standard.

Now if we can also make supercharging ettiequte standard for owners/ drivers of the model 3 as well.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  6. EinSV

EinSV Member

Elon made it abundantly clear that Model 3s would all come standard with free access to Superchargers, the same as Model S and X.

He kept his cards close to the vest on most things, but this was as clear as a bell.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  7. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

The good news is that since the will taper off the number of new SC's in US city areas they can hopefully start refocusing new SC's in Canada in general.

8. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I did not hear him say 'free' supercharging, just supercharging standard.

• Like x 5
  9. Chuq

Chuq Member

That's true - specifically just today he has said India (Elon Musk on Twitter) and New Zealand (Elon Musk on Twitter) will get nation-wide SC networks.

• Informative x 1
  10. Chuq

Chuq Member

For him to say supercharging, and to not mean free supercharging, is deceptive, and many may think lying by omission.

• Funny x 1
  11. GSP

GSP Member

Of course supercharging is not free. Please just stop with the "free" already.

Elon's comments in the reveal seemed clear to me, supercharging will be included in the base price of $35,000.

He did not say for how long, but in the past Elon has said all Teslas will include supercharging for the life of the car.

GSP

• Like x 1
  12. Chuq

Chuq Member

Yep, you're right, included in the purchase price is what I meant!

I took Elon's words to mean "supercharger hardware is included and fully enabled for all Model 3s without additional cost over the base price"

• Like x 3
  13. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Standard in car buying is always included in base price. Options are what you pay extra for.

14. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

But will the standard supercharging be unlimited?

He gave a whole speech about how important supercharging was and never once said free long distance for life like he has in the past. I think that was a notable omission.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

And he would absolutely never, ever, do that, no sir. :p

I think he might have been careful not to use the F word to allow them flexibility with the model.

Average is $42k: $35k +$2k for Supercharging + $2.5k for Autopilot, then a number of people will choose higher spec stuff.

• Helpful x 1
  17. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Hmmm, well I'd say that pretty much settles it. Now it's just a question of paying a lump sum for lifetime or pay as you go, or maybe you can choose which option?

18. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

I am VERY new here, but at the risk of sounding like a pedantic a-hole, I would say that it is somewhat "entitled" to expect that the access for superchargers should be for "free". After all this is a for-profit business; and someone needs to pay for the infrastructure and costs associated with operating such stations. I can see a model in the future where there is a "pay-as-you-use" fee. Fair is Fair.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  19. loganss

loganss Spaceman

As others have mentioned Tesla is a for profit business. For the amount of potential new Model 3 customers the same strategy used for the Model S wouldn't work. Free internet and unlimited free supercharging didn't make good business sense for these numbers.

Think about other businesses that offered equipment as standard for a product where we don't expect free for life (GM Onstar, 3g/lte cell phone service, cell phone tethering, sirus xm, cable).

Look at the abuse that happens with the Model S now at some superchargers (eg locals charging frequently, Uber drivers charging to cover their costs, etc).

A reasonable fee would solve a lot of potential abuse. Tesla wouldn't even have to overhaul existing supercharger hardware. Each car is linked to their Tesla network and specific user ID. Kind of like EZ Pass they can charge based on usage and a user can monitor their usage through the Tesla website.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  20. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

Exactly. That's how I read it: the car can do it and there may be different models for payment for actual supercharging. I feel that a small fee per use of supercharger - one that is automatically taken off your credit card - would be great.

Indeed, I think it would be fantastic to have a model where Model 3 owners pay
    - nothing fro the first 15 Minutes
    - 5 USD up to 1 hour
    - 100 USD per hour if you charge longer than one hour

Or something like that. It would more than cover the electricity and get some supercharging etiquette into people's heads...