Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tearing it Up at the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also what is "PUO" in your sig? I'm guessing you meant PUP. =P

It means Performance Upgrade Option. At one point (I guess) there was ambiguity about what PUP meant. I could be wrong; after all, I read that here so there is a 50% chance it is wrong.

Although I think with 2/10ths quicker would seem about right for how much weight he said he's dropped before

It is 2.74s with rollout time excluded apparently. Which is 0.35-0.4 sec faster than stock 20” 3P+. It’s a solid 0.45s or so faster just straight 0-60 (2.96s vs about 3.4s).

Looks like he's cut out 400+ pounds. Impressive...

weight savings.png

Thought to update on a few questions-

We've pulled out 453 lbs to be exact. Still need to take out the driver seat which is another ~50lbs, so that 500 lb estimate is pretty spot on.

Surprisingly, weight balance is still quite good @ 51/49. Biggest discrepancy is LF, but that'll be resolved with a seat change.

This doesn't account for driver so there will need to be more changes for perfect track cross weight, but it's an excellent starting point!

IMG_7890.jpg

We've pulled out 453 lbs to be exact. Still need to take out the driver seat which is another ~50lbs, so that 500 lb estimate is pretty spot on.

Physics FTW, I guess. My estimate was probably slightly high because you have lighter wheels than stock and I didn’t account for the rotational KE you’re not having to spin up.

Good luck out there. Must feel pretty peppy. :)

Yes! So much has developed since the start of this thread. But unfortunately not in an easy-to-show-in-pictures kind of way. Some cool things to note-
  • Working with NASA (racing)'s head office to get rules in place allowing EVs on track with traditional ICE racers.
  • Helped convince Essex to bring AP Racing competition caliper kits to market. These are the same used by professional motorsport, and because they have a standard pad shape, will allow you to run virtually any brand pad in them.
  • Partnered with an incredible motorsports team known for their world time attack cars to help with fab, body, and aero.
  • Got an extremely precise, 0.03" resolution 3D scan of interior, exterior, and chassis (prep for cage, body, & aero).
  • Fully stripped interior. Over 500 lbs out now, sub 3s 0-60 time. Found solutions for seat brackets, racing seats, and steering wheel quick release.
  • Finalized cage design. Getting approval from series director and starting build next week.
  • Made a mold for carbon fiber roof to replace glass, per regulations.
  • Connected with a major NASCAR wheel stud / lug nut manufacturer. Made extended wheel studs made for better wheel fitment, and lighter, more durable lug nuts. Saves about half a pound of rotating mass and they're sized 19mm instead of 21mm so you're less likely to mar the wheel when installing/removing. And can take hundreds of cycles.
  • Added ceramic wheel bearings. There's some debate and dubious claims related to friction and/or improving mileage. But none of that really matters to me; these are just plain better at handling abuse. Important when wheeling a 4,000 pound car over curbs with loads of downforce and high lateral g's.
Honestly it's been a privilege to work with so many high-caliber people on this. There's a lot of enthusiasm to see what a production sports car EV can do on the performance side of things.

So although the build isn't going as fast as I might want, I'm pleased to say that it is being done right. This won't be a backyard amateur project. Will be a few more months before everything really comes together.

A few more pics in the meantime:

IeIPLBd.jpg

Ow3sabB.jpg

rmwfJKO.jpg

ZEuDANn.jpg

spQVVEv.jpg

Excellent to hear this project is still coming along. Sounds like some interesting developments and this should be one heck of a car when all said and done. I'm interested to see how the carbon fiber roof comes along and how much weight that will reduce.

Also recently learned that Unplugged Performance is offering pre-orders for a carbon fiber trunk lid which should knock off another 20 pounds. Pre-orders here. Have you looked at this or thought about doing such?

Also, I thought lighter lug nuts didn't really make much of a difference in terms of rotational mass considering how close to the hub they are. Are you pretty certain about that half a pound?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Top work @Zerosport !
In my own way I'm also trying to drag UK motorsport into the 21st Century, but it can be a real struggle with all the mis-information, FUD and downright hostility towards EVs out there.

I'm interested in your cage design and how you are going to attach it to the floor. Have you got any information you can share on that?

Also recently learned that Unplugged Performance is offering pre-orders for a carbon fiber trunk lid which should knock off another 20 pounds. Pre-orders here. Have you looked at this or thought about doing such?

It's interesting, but I swear that thing has been available for preorder for like a year. We'll see if/when it is ever actually available. I'd love to switch so I can drop hinges and make fully detachable. And, will be cutting up b/c wing mounts need to be fixed to the frame.

Also, I thought lighter lug nuts didn't really make much of a difference in terms of rotational mass considering how close to the hub they are. Are you pretty certain about that half a pound?

Yeah if you're looking to save weight lug nuts aren't the place to start. We're not talking about a ton of mass here. I'll post a pic of OEM below; it's a savings of about 2.1 oz per set of five so 8.4oz across all four wheels. But yeah, nobody should fall for the titanium lug nut trap :).

The real benefits for me are in the alloy's durability and convenience of 19 vs. 21mm. These get taken off and put back on multiple times a day. The black phosphated coating holds up really well to impact wrenches, and you get to use a smaller socket so you're not rubbing up against the wheel as much.

9B23Ecm.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako
Last edited:
I saw this on Facebook group. Justin claims he can get CF trunk lid for $1300 if he can get 5 orders or more. Weight 6lb. Maybe it's something you can consider.

"Justin Hagan it's more expensive than that. But even cheap just for looks CF trunks are. If we can get 5 they'll be around $1300.
So weight savings and they look cool. The guy doing then even has different CF weave. But these are full dry carbon fiber trunks and gooda. No gel coat or fiber glass bs.

Justin Hagan http://www.marshcomposites.com/

Here is the company. My friends shop has installed a number of his parts on their customers and own WRXs. Quality is A+++
"