Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20 “ wheels.
I am thinking of going to 19 “ as costs keep adding up for the “performance” wheels

I went to 18's because
I knew sooner or later I'd bust a tire or score curb rash.
The tires are very sticky but you pay for it in range and they don't last long.
The ride is pretty stiff.
The 20"wheels weigh 30 lb ea. (18's weigh 18 lb 6 oz)
The 18" make it look more like a car and less like a skateboard.

I went to 18's because
I knew sooner or later I'd bust a tire or score curb rash.
The tires are very sticky but you pay for it in range and they don't last long.
The ride is pretty stiff.
The 20"wheels weigh 30 lb ea. (18's weigh 18 lb 6 oz)
The 18" make it look more like a car and less like a skateboard.
Cannot go with 18” - the red brakes rub the rims them.
Looking for aero 19’s. Now

On relatively good South Florida roads, with AC almost always on, I inflate to 39 cold and watch it increase to 42 as tires warm while driving. My lifetime 7K efficiency is 232 wh/mi. Ride quality is excellent on the 19-in wheels. Tire wear was even and slight, 1/32, at the 6K rotation. My TPMS is perfectly calibrated.

My SL550s needed new tires every 8K miles, more or less.

Just one reason I love my M3.

I recently changed my tires to 255/40/19 Continental DWS06 Extremecontact's and after break in they are FAR superior in comfort, handling, ride, load carrying and I run them at 45 psi cold, I recommend them in a 255/45/18 size for your 18's if priority is comfort while improving everything els EXCEPT range, you will take a 10 to 12% hit in range
So what is the change in speedometer also?

Has anyone ever tested the difference in range with tires at 45 vs 39 psi? I can't imagine it would be a drastic amount. Comfort-wise though, I think it will be more pronounce.
Completely unscientific -
I went from 48 all the way down to 40. At 40 the road noise is lower pitch, not necessarily quieter but it makes it less annoying for me.
I haven’t noticed any significant change in my efficiency as I consistently can still average under 200 wh/mi.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
It is even reasonable to expect higher road noise with lower inflation.

And to answer your question, the Pressure Monitoring System won't complain if the tires are different front to back, as long as they're all above the lower threshold.