Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys - I can get winter tires (rubber only) at a major discount so rather than getting the Tesla winter tire kit, I need to get tires and rims separate. I would rather not swap the rubber each season on the 18' aero rims. So my question is... Where can i find decent after market rims at a great price either in Toronto or online?

Last I spoke to a fellow at Oakville during a service visit, he said they're hoping to be able to offer different tires instead of what's online but likely not for this coming winter. All the discussion here about the tires is great but for the extra $100-$200 or whatever it is, I'd rather have Tesla do this for me. Provides some recourse in case something goes wrong, despite how improbable an issue would arise by going elsewhere for a wheel and tire combo would be. Also helps that the service centre is a few minutes drive away from me. o_O

I agree. I have ordered the entire package with delivery at Mississauga centre. Worth spending extra dollars to do it from Tesla.

Do we know how much is the actual difference between Tesla winter tire package vs getting installed from outside ( no considering self installation)

I think I am going to buy the 18" Rims from Tesla as well as the TPMS's and then buy Continental WinterContact SI.
Not really happy with the tires Tesla will be offering and I tried to call also and they don't know if something else will be offered.

You have to be careful with the reviews. Perelli Sottozeros have a few renditions. The ones Tesla is showing on their site are the Serie II which at least on the sites I have check have terrible reviews. The Sottozero 3 are much better.
yes this is correct. If you look at the 19" winter set (tires and wheels) they come with the Sottozero 3. The 18" winter set come with the Sottozero Serie II (series 2).

I wonder if they eventually will update the 18s to the series 3???

I ended up ordering the Tesla 19" package. In the winter I think I will get my summers powdercoated in either gloss black or that darker tesla like silver for summer.

With the flood of M3's coming this month I thought it was best to get this order in now.
yeah that's smart to order earlier before the rush of orders. Let me know if you get a good quote for a powder coat I want one as well for my 19's. Still looking for tires though.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
After reading many posts and my own research I'm inclined to order rims and snow tires online through pmc tire.
Rims - Replika R187
Tires - Continental winter contact si
TPMS
all compatible with model 3.
They will install the tires on the rims with the tpms and deliver them to your house free for a total price of $1854.52 plus tax.
The Continentals are good snow tires.
I would get the Tesla package with the 18" aero wheels if it weren't for the Perrili snow tires. I live north of Toronto and tires that are really good in snow are more important than high performance for me.

Reactions: Techniques
I was thinking about the R187s as well but are they available for Model 3? The website indicates they're not so I emailed and the response was November. Seemed a bit too vague for me to count on but I do like the look of those.

You could put winter tires on OE rim, and put OE tires on R187 for the summer when it comes back in stock. I'm thinking about doing that. Since I'm in Vancouver area, I'm debating if I can survive with stock tires for the first winter (delay my purchase & save some money). ;):D

How much will aftermarket rims affect the range? I know the 19” aren’t as effecient as the 18” but perhaps getting aftermarket rims for the winter isn’t a good idea since it already has a big hit from the cold therefore affecting your range a lot already. I don’t know though.

How much will aftermarket rims affect the range? I know the 19” aren’t as effecient as the 18” but perhaps getting aftermarket rims for the winter isn’t a good idea since it already has a big hit from the cold therefore affecting your range a lot already. I don’t know though.
Depends on the rim, but it will not be much compared to the range loss due to cold. Honestly I wouldn't worry much about range loss due to rims. Would you care about getting 3% worse fuel efficiency due to rims on an ICE car? The model 3 has more than enough range and your driving style will have a much bigger impact than rims IMHO.

But, if you want a guess I would say no more than 20km on a full charge due to rims alone with all other things being equal (temp, driving style, terrain, same tires, etc...)