Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am deciding between two options for my tire + wheels for winter.

First Option (Tesla):

Tesla Winter Tire + Wheel Package for $2400
  • Pirelli Sottozero series II (Value of approx. 350/each) = $1400
  • Includes TPMS (Value of approx. 250) = $250
  • Aero Wheels (Value of $250/each) = $1000
  • I’m assuming balancing + mounting of tire and wheel
  • Total Value = $2650 for only $2400
Advantage:
  • Better value for money
  • OEM Aero Wheels that has better efficiency and probably easier to clean during winter
Second Option (Kal Tires):
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (290/each) = $1160
  • Gloss Black Impulse Wheels (170/each) = $680
  • TPMS = $250
  • Mounting + Balancing = $92
  • Hub Centric Rings = $24
  • Customer Care Plan = Free (Lifetime air, rotation, flat repair, balancing)
  • Total before tax = $2206
Advantage
  • Customer Care Plan
  • Nearby since I live in Ottawa
  • Not too sure but I’ve been hearing that Nokian tires are one of the most superior tires for winter, so assuming Nokian>Pirelli

Which option do you guys think I should choose?

To add on to my post, and I hope it helps OP, I am leaning more towards choosing the Kal Tire because of the Nokian tires but if there isn't a significant difference between Nokian and Pirelli I would go with Tesla Tire option. If you guys could input on the performance difference of the Nokian and Pirelli in winter that would be awesome!

Just go back from Oakville service center
asked about Getting just rims...
he said the powers that be want everything done online...
i mentioned you can't buy the rims on line... the service guy hummed and hawed then said give me a sec..and went to the back.
he came back and said in about a month they will have a bunch of aero rims in stock at the service center, cost was $280
sensors are about $80 each
so maybe tesla winter package is good deal if you start breaking the costs down... so just a question of is the winter tire a good winter tire..
jb
tl;dr
rims ~$280 each
sensors ~ $80 each

I have a Model 3 on order.

Decided to go with the 19" wheels and will most likely order a set of the 18" OEM wheels with winter tires for winter.

Currently drive an Audi S4 with Dunlop Wintersports. Have been very happy with them. Have also had good experience with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s in the past.

My current plan is to replace the stock all-seasons with Pilot Super Sports when the time comes. Is there any reason not to go with a wider tire, say a 255, instead of 235?

I have a Model 3 on order.

Decided to go with the 19" wheels and will most likely order a set of the 18" OEM wheels with winter tires for winter.

Currently drive an Audi S4 with Dunlop Wintersports. Have been very happy with them. Have also had good experience with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s in the past.

My current plan is to replace the stock all-seasons with Pilot Super Sports when the time comes. Is there any reason not to go with a wider tire, say a 255, instead of 235?

A wider tire will be better for icy conditions, narrow better for deep snow . Since you are in Ottawa I would go with the narrower tires personally.... Wait, it was a previous poster from Ottawa, not you. But it still stands, narrow is better for snowy conditions in my opinion. You list your location as Seattle, which will be much more temperate and rainy I assume, so possibly the wider would be the better option for you.

A wider tire will be better for icy conditions, narrow better for deep snow . Since you are in Ottawa I would go with the narrower tires personally.... Wait, it was a previous poster from Ottawa, not you. But it still stands, narrow is better for snowy conditions in my opinion. You list your location as Seattle, which will be much more temperate and rainy I assume, so possibly the wider would be the better option for you.
Sounds good.

Is there any particular reason why Tesla went with narrower tires in their OEM setups?

Sounds good.

Is there any particular reason why Tesla went with narrower tires in their OEM setups?

Probably road noise and efficiency. Wider tires also means more rolling resistance, and thus less range.

Take a look at the tires the BMW i3 comes with. They are a joke, may as well be riding on bike tires...actually now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure motorcycle tires are thicker than i3 tires.

Reactions: willa1975
Anyone interested in getting tires from Kal Tire for Michelin or Nokian, I received an email from a Web Store Representative that the two brands will go on sale for winter promo in October
Hi Mike, I'm interested in the Michelin X ice 3. That's a long time a way though and I preferably would like to get them sooner or later. Usually around fall is when the mad dash of people get tires and would like to avoid.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
Anyone interested in getting tires from Kal Tire for Michelin or Nokian, I received an email from a Web Store Representative that the two brands will go on sale for winter promo in October

Excellent to know. I was going to get Nokian. Stopped by Kal in Ottawa and he said the wheel and tire packages would be on sale in October. Good to hear it confirmed.

Thx Mikem,
The Nokia Hakkapeliitta is one of the best for winter driving
Here's the exact size (235/45R18 98T XL) to replace the Michelin Primacy ones

Excellent to know. I was going to get Nokian. Stopped by Kal in Ottawa and he said the wheel and tire packages would be on sale in October. Good to hear it confirmed.

Thx fellas for the heads up fo October sale

I was told $250 per 18” wheel without tire or sensor, etc

I have received the official quote from Tesla. OP if you can update the first post, that'd be great:

Wheel $250: 1234221-01-A - WHEEL, 18X8.5J ET40, PINWHEEL MAGNETO SVC
Aerowheel Cover $38: 1044231-00-B - 18 INCH PINWHEEL CAP
TPMS Sensor $85: 1074812-00-B - TPMS, WHEEL SENSOR, 433 MHz BLACK VALVE STEM WITH BLACK CAP (soft cap)
TPMS Nut $1: 1038975-00-A - TPMS NUT, BLACK, CONTI

I guess I will order the 4 rims and mount the X-Ice or Blizzak myself. There is really no need for 2nd set of aerowheel covers.

I have received the official quote from Tesla. OP if you can update the first post, that'd be great:

TPMS Sensor $85: 1074812-00-B - TPMS, WHEEL SENSOR, 433 MHz BLACK VALVE STEM WITH BLACK CAP (soft cap)

I guess I will order the 4 rims and mount the X-Ice or Blizzak myself. There is really no need for 2nd set of aerowheel covers.
glad you could get an official quote..I was given an approximate price. I am leaning the same way as you for the wheels..aero wheels in winter aren't needed imo :)
jb
edit:here was info i found and posted earlier..Model 3 Tires

What is this wheel for $250? Is it the Aero rims?