Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to get CCS2 port in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the eventual standard will be in North America?
There is little doubt that CCS (with Type 1 plug) will eventually be the standard in North America. Chademo is on the way out due to lack of support by all but one automakers. The big question of course is what Tesla will do in North America. Their DC charger infrastructure at this point in time is more dominant than it is in Europe, but CCS will likely grow fast due to projects such as Electrify America.

Anyway, for now I'd be super happy if they made a CCS Type 1 adapter (not just for S/X, but also 3). That way we'd get the best of both worlds.

There is little doubt that CCS (with Type 1 plug) will eventually be the standard in North America. Chademo is on the way out due to lack of support by all but one automakers. The big question of course is what Tesla will do in North America. Their DC charger infrastructure at this point in time is more dominant than it is in Europe, but CCS will likely grow fast due to projects such as Electrify America.

Anyway, for now I'd be super happy if they made a CCS Type 1 adapter (not just for S/X, but also 3). That way we'd get the best of both worlds.
Maybe you have little doubt that CCS will become the standard in North America but I think the data says otherwise. Cars with the Tesla Connector are increasing exponentially faster than CCS cars here. Every week there are more Tesla sold than all CCS cars combined, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Maybe you have little doubt that CCS will become the standard in North America but I think the data says otherwise. Cars with the Tesla Connector are increasing exponentially faster than CCS cars here. Every week there are more Tesla sold than all CCS cars combined, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
The Tesla connector is proprietary and thus by definition not a standard. I doubt very much that any other automaker will adopt it.

Short term I would agree with you that Tesla is setting the standard for North America. Long term things might change and tilt towards CCS.

It all depends on how fast the old school car companies figure out that they must electrify or go out of business. BMW might be getting close to that point. The other car companies seem to be way behind the times and dragging their feet on this one. Time will tell.

The part where Tesla is adding a second cable (CCS) to Supercharger stations: that will lead to some hilarious situations, with folks attempting to use both (for different cars) at congested Superchargers. Unless it is physically impossible, and even then, folks will try...

I don't think NA is as straightforward. CCS2 is a lot more mechanically compatible with Tesla type 2(addition of the 2 DC pins) and the locking mechanism is part of the plug. CCS1 has the locking system on the handle, and J1772 does not look like the Tesla connector at all. Well see what happens...

I am very interested to see how this plays out in South Korea. Tesla uses type 2 there but SK standardized on CCS type 1. CCS1 to CCS2 adapters are possible, but I don't think they would want to build it for the model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Big Earl
The only problem I see with the North American Tesla connector is that it will be difficult to support higher charge rates. The service life of the Supercharger cable connectors is not great. They either need to start cooling the connector or change to something with larger pins. CCS has larger pins.
That's a shame, because to is very easy to use and looks much more user-friendly than the contraptions other cars have to deal with.

The Tesla connector is proprietary and thus by definition not a standard. I doubt very much that any other automaker will adopt it.
Tesla is willing to license it’s connector to other manufacturers, and anywone who wants an EV to drive long distances where they would depend on DC fast charging would buy a Tesla. It’s the de facto standard, even if the SAE doesn’t agree.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl