Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

Will the Model 3 battery limit power on the track?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Bolt and Leaf beat them there...
Not if you look at resale value..

Example 1: Buy $60k OTD model 3... sell it in 30 months for $40k which I think is conservative.

Actual cost of ownership: $10k (assuming $10k state/federal)

Example 2: Buy $40k Leaf. Sell it in 30 months for $15k (if you are lucky). Actual cost $15k

EDIT: and not even talking about turo where you can rent out your 3 for $180 a day... shhh.. how much for a leaf on turo??

Not if you look at resale value..

Example 1: Buy $60k OTD model 3... sell it in 30 months for $40k which I think is conservative.

Actual cost of ownership: $10k (assuming $10k state/federal)

Example 2: Buy $40k Leaf. Sell it in 30 months for $15k (if you are lucky). Actual cost $15k

EDIT: and not even talking about turo where you can rent out your 3 for $180 a day... shhh.. how much for a leaf on turo??

Zero people in the history of the world have bought a car based on resale value. People talk about it a lot but only as a way to rationalize and justify.

That is very stupid of Tesla forcing you to buy calipers to replace brake pads job. They should be thanking you for doing a track test on the model 3 and show them what they didn’t test and subpar quality in the brake system.

We can only hope that aftermarket industry / group will have a better solution in the future.

Reactions: arnis and xav-
Zero people in the history of the world have bought a car based on resale value. People talk about it a lot but only as a way to rationalize and justify.
Being on a Tesla forum on a section dedicated to the Model 3, I made the assumption that everyone here had a strong interest in the car.

I realize that I may have been a little bit naive and underestimated how much time people have on their hands.

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and Chewy3
Being on a Tesla forum on a section dedicated to the Model 3, I made the assumption that everyone here had a strong interest in the car.

I realize that I may have been a little bit naive and underestimated how much time people have on their hands.

There is speculation with the Model 3 resale market like many limited production vehicles encounter. Instead of "Market Adjustment" we are seeing "Used" Model 3's with 50 miles on them. At least the dealerships pay taxes and you have recourse and legal protections and are the "original owner". Less risky than buying a 'used car' from a tax evader. Dishonest folk tend to screw everybody.

In any case, IIRC, our last EREV was $28k OTD (final) after all taxes and rebates (8% tax on gross). The MSRP was $41k.

The resale is reflected by the $28k minus sales taxes of $2,240 (the buyer is going to have to pony it up, so it affects) or a base of $26k before depreciation. Think 1/3 depreciation, and that "$41k car" is worth $17k at 33% depreciation in a high sales tax, high rebate state.

But I agree with the original premise, folks only care about depreciation in mostly the following situations:

1) Leasing rates
2) Speculation, investment. Requires limited supply.
3) "Appliance Buyers". You are buying a car purely based on utility and cost per year. You expect to buy a new one in X years.

Does anybody care their Porsche 911 is going to take a bloodbath on resale? Or their P100DL? No. They want what they want.

If Tesla does make 100,000 Model 3's before the end of 2018, expect the used market to be very soft:
1) They will compete pricewise with used S/Xs which continue to fall.
2) Rebates and incentives.
3) Number of actual EV shoppers is not what some folk think.
4) Early models might be hampered with 'first year' jitters
5) Model 3's that cheaper than $50k could have been released by that time. Options do not hold their prices as well.

Actually it would be the Accord or Camry because that's the midsize cars that it competes with and the 3 series is also in that category. Still it's not $3k to replace pads and rotors on any other midsize family sedan
Didn't they replace the calipers too? If they did, that's where most of the cost is. Pads($120), rotors ($210), calipers ($1,000), and misc hardware ($100?) is about $1500 for a 2018 Camry. $500-$1000 for labor seems reasonable, depending on the dealer's location/rates.

Front Brakes for 2018 Toyota Camry | Ernie Palmer Toyota

It's still not as expensive as the 3, but we're talking about Toyota, not Lexus.

Didn't they replace the calipers too? If they did, that's where most of the cost is. Pads($120), rotors ($210), calipers ($1,000), and misc hardware ($100?) is about $1500 for a 2018 Camry. $500-$1000 for labor seems reasonable, depending on the dealer's location/rates.

It's still not as expensive as the 3, but we're talking about Toyota, not Lexus.
Yep, 4 calipers. Given the color of the pad backing plate, I don't blame them.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

They did replace the calipers. Only because they dont sell just the pads. Seriously? This car has been out since like August and you can't sell brake pads without the caliper?

That is very stupid of Tesla forcing you to buy calipers to replace brake pads job. They should be thanking you for doing a track test on the model 3 and show them what they didn’t test and subpar quality in the brake system.

We can only hope that aftermarket industry / group will have a better solution in the future.

On a car that uses maybe a tenth of the brakes to stop with as a gas car might, it seems you expect race car brakes. I find that pulling my foot off the accelerator pedal approaching a stop, the car slows by regen to within maybe twenty feet from the sign, with me going maybe 5 mph. That doesn't require much braking. Why would one need or want race car brakes? It stops slowly or quickly. Overheating doesn't occur in normal driving, even downhill.

Of course, all gas cars are "race proven", right? But "sub par" means below average, and obviously the Model 3 needs less braking than the "average". Therefore sub par would be correct, and probably preferable.

They did replace the calipers. Only because they dont sell just the pads. Seriously? This car has been out since like August and you can't sell brake pads without the caliper?
There are what, maybe 5,000+ 3s on the road? And Tesla only started building more than a thousand a month in January. I can see why parts availability/cost would be fubar. I would head down to AutoZone with the old pads to see if there was anything that had a snowballs chance in hell of fitting if I were in a similar situation, but sooner or later someone will offer pads, and most people won't need em until later.

Lexus brakes are the same price as Toyota brakes. They're the same company and probably the exact same brakes!
Front Disc Brake Caliper & Dust Cover for 2017 Lexus ES350
Tesla service is very expensive. I wonder if it will be worth it for anyone to make aftermarket pads and rotors for the Model 3 since very few people will drive aggressively enough to need new ones in the first 100k miles. I'm hoping the performance version has a higher performance braking system. That might convince me to get it if it's available when the dual motor comes out.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
There are what, maybe 5,000+ 3s on the road? And Tesla only started building more than a thousand a month in January. I can see why parts availability/cost would be fubar. I would head down to AutoZone with the old pads to see if there was anything that had a snowballs chance in hell of fitting if I were in a similar situation, but sooner or later someone will offer pads, and most people won't need em until later.

Doesn't matter. You'll have warranty issues, people like this, and bad batches. If he walked in with a legit warranty claim on the pads would they have given him the calipers for free or simply taken the pads out?

It also doesn't matter now many are on the road. I've never had a new model vehicle that I can't walk in and order parts for. Ferrari has fewer of its models anc the dealer has no issue ordering parts day one. Quit making excuses for a car manufacturer that can't supply for its cars.

Doesn't matter. You'll have warranty issues, people like this, and bad batches. If he walked in with a legit warranty claim on the pads would they have given him the calipers for free or simply taken the pads out?

It also doesn't matter now many are on the road. I've never had a new model vehicle that I can't walk in and order parts for. Ferrari has fewer of its models anc the dealer has no issue ordering parts day one. Quit making excuses for a car manufacturer that can't supply for its cars.
I'm not making excuses for Tesla. I'm saying that this is what happens when a product is launched ASAP, and I don't see why you would make such a big deal out of it. Well, actually, that's not completely true. I don't see why you would make such a big deal about it when you aren't behaving the same way about existing auto manufacturers sitting on their hands and not making more affordable 300+ mile EVs.

I could see being critical of Tesla for rolling out products ASAP, but if that's the case I would expect you would also be critical of other manufacturers dragging their feet. Or, you would accept that Tesla would have parts availability issues because the 3 is being rolled out ASAP and that other manufacturers are going to drag their feet to get everything in place before building 300+ mile EVs.

I guess complaining about Tesla and giving other manufacturers a pass is what I don't understand.