Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

Will the Model 3 battery limit power on the track?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read Tesla didn't include any fuses in this vehicle. They used MOSFET-based, electronically-controlled "circuit breakers" instead. Disabling the traction control is now more complicated.

That is what I've read so far as well. And the two Model 3s that have been run on a dyno both disconnected the front right ABS sensor to defeat traction control.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read Tesla didn't include any fuses in this vehicle. They used MOSFET-based, electronically-controlled "circuit breakers" instead. Disabling the traction control is now more complicated.

Yep, so far I think people have disabled traction/stability control by disconnecting a wheel speed sensor, which disables everything including ABS.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Great question. I don't know. I hadn't looked into it much, but was interested in finding out more ...just didn't get to it. It would be good to know what our options are on the Model 3 for traction control settings or mods.

Oh and use low regen. Minimize drive train heating as much as possible.

I wonder if that is necessary on the Model 3. It seems like people are reporting that the Model 3 throttles regen much more than the S&X do. So using standard regen on the track might help with brake life as well as helping to maintain the charge level a little bit. (Of course it may cause problems if it isn't consistent enough to know how the car is going to react.)

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865 and Troy
The battery won’t be the problem with heating; it will be the motor or maybe the inverter electronics. If it’s anything like previous Tesla models, e.g. Roadster or Model S, you will get at most a lap before it starts pulling the power back.

Oh and use low regen. Minimize drive train heating as much as possible.

Umm, did you watch the posts and / or video? The OP ran 9 laps with no reported overheating, and only have to slow down because the brakes wore out by lap 4. He did run it with low regen but it remains to be seen the impact on regular regen on the track.

Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

Thanks to the OP for posting. I don’t mean this as any kind of slight at all, I’m just trying to understand my why MS does go into safety mode on track, while your M3 didn’t. Could it be that you weren’t really pushing it especially give the braking issue? I must confess it’s been a while, but I was a regular at Laguna Seca in early 2000’s or so in a stock FD RX7 (high 1:40's on street tires) , which is the point of reference for my observation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunarx
I’m just trying to understand why why MS does go into safety mode while your M3 didn’t.

I suspect that the main reason is that the Model 3 has a PM motor where the Model S has an induction motor. (The motor/invertor is the first thing to "overheat" in the Model S.) They could have improved the cooling system based on their experience with the Model S&X as well.

In other words Tesla designed the Model 3 to better handle long periods of high acceleration.

I suspect that the main reason is that the Model 3 has a PM motor where the Model S has an induction motor. (The motor/invertor is the first thing to "overheat" in the Model S.) They could have improved the cooling system based on their experience with the Model S&X as well.

In other words Tesla designed the Model 3 to better handle long periods of high acceleration.
Thanks. I hope so - looking forward to 2020.

Reactions: Ulmo and MP3Mike