Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No third party apps

If you see that kind of drain again, you might want to try TeslaFi. They have a 2 week trial and if you set sleep mode on (one box to click on settings) it shouldn't cause much additional drain but should let you monitor the drain. Basically will record rated miles every time you drive the car, and will show how much is used for each drive and each period the car is idle/sleeping.

Also should let you know if car goes to sleep or not. If it doesn't the drain from idle is much larger than sleep mode. I think idle drain is up to 500 watts. So up to 0.5kwH per hour.

For example it shows I lost 4 km while car slept yesterday for 10.5 hours and 11 km while car was idle yesterday for 6.5 hours.

If you see that kind of drain again, you might want to try TeslaFi. They have a 2 week trial and if you set sleep mode on (one box to click on settings) it shouldn't cause much additional drain but should let you monitor the drain. Basically will record rated miles every time you drive the car, and will show how much is used for each drive and each period the car is idle/sleeping.

Also should let you know if car goes to sleep or not. If it doesn't the drain from idle is much larger than sleep mode. I think idle drain is up to 500 watts. So up to 0.5kwH per hour.

For example it shows I lost 4 km while car slept yesterday for 10.5 hours and 11 km while car was idle yesterday for 6.5 hours.
I think the original concern from @Blu Angel was that the car 'lost' the power during his drive, not while sitting idle. You're referring to the 'typical' phantom drain that people refer to when the car is parked/idle. I still believe the issue here is that at the start of driving the car reported the range based off of 150 wh/km efficiency, but due to the colder weather the efficiency was worse and the car simply re-forecasted the total range based off of 193 wh/km. So no power was 'lost', just projected range due to the lower efficiency.

I think the original concern from @Blu Angel was that the car 'lost' the power during his drive, not while sitting idle. You're referring to the 'typical' phantom drain that people refer to when the car is parked/idle. I still believe the issue here is that at the start of driving the car reported the range based off of 150 wh/km efficiency, but due to the colder weather the efficiency was worse and the car simply re-forecasted the total range based off of 193 wh/km. So no power was 'lost', just projected range due to the lower efficiency.

Range reported near the little battery icon is supposed to be always based on the same multiplier. Basically percentage of battery times 500km. It always displays rated miles/range there.

Estimated range is not displayed, except to predict battery percentage in navigation and in the energy app.

So energy used should be: rated range before - rated range after / 500 km * 75kWh. If that is 26kWh but car says 19kWh used something weird is going on. Either phantom drain before or after, or battery system recalibrated somehow, but is not based on conditions or driving behaviour affecting an estimate.

Here is some data:

Charged to 90% (447km Indictated range) on Monday morning, until Wednesday night.
267.6km driven
50kw or 187wh/km

Battery state of charge at 11%

Therefore 79% of 75kw should be roughly 59.25kw used

Phantom loss of 9.25kw or about 20%

Actual wh/km is 221 based on this

Outdoor temps between 2-8c, parked in insulated garage overnight

Attachments

• 20181031_192705.jpg
    20181031_192705.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20181031_192719.jpg
    20181031_192719.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@Blu-Ion the phantom drain seems too high. I would recommend trying TeslaFi and setting it to sleep the car after 30 minutes: the default after enabling sleep. Then check to see how much time the car spends in sleep vs idle it will also show how much energy each used. It's likely the car is not going to sleep for some reason. When idle and not sleeping the model 3 uses about 1-2 km of rated range per hour. For me when sleeping it uses about 1km per 3 hours.

I've been charging for almost a week to 90% but it only ever shows me 427km max. I don't know anyone else with a range this low that I've talked to but Tesla brushed it off as nothing. Seems to me I can't reset the BMS estimate even charging to 100% a few times before that.

I might need to get TeslaFi as well to get more data and compare notes based on what that shows me.

I've been charging for almost a week to 90% but it only ever shows me 427km max. I don't know anyone else with a range this low that I've talked to but Tesla brushed it off as nothing. Seems to me I can't reset the BMS estimate even charging to 100% a few times before that.

I might need to get TeslaFi as well to get more data and compare notes based on what that shows me.
Bring it down to 20% and charge it to 95%. That should recalibrate your BMS.

Here is some data:

Charged to 90% (447km Indictated range) on Monday morning, until Wednesday night.
267.6km driven
50kw or 187wh/km

Battery state of charge at 11%

Therefore 79% of 75kw should be roughly 59.25kw used

Phantom loss of 9.25kw or about 20%

Actual wh/km is 221 based on this

Outdoor temps between 2-8c, parked in insulated garage overnight
That's pretty interesting. How many days of driving does this represent? I ask because there will be some phantom drain while the car is parked/idle/sleeping....though I still don't fully get why Tesla's do this while other EVs don't.

It would be good to separate out what the idle phantom loss is vs what is reported as used by the car during driving vs what is actually used.

I charged to 80% a few days ago and haven't plugged in since. Will add my data to this thread as well tomorrow evening. I drive about 55km/day so I'm still at 220km range left today.

That's pretty interesting. How many days of driving does this represent? I ask because there will be some phantom drain while the car is parked/idle/sleeping....though I still don't fully get why Tesla's do this while other EVs don't.

It would be good to separate out what the idle phantom loss is vs what is reported as used by the car during driving vs what is actually used.

I charged to 80% a few days ago and haven't plugged in since. Will add my data to this thread as well tomorrow evening. I drive about 55km/day so I'm still at 220km range left today.

I'm guessing other EVs run everything off the 12 volt battery when the car is asleep, whereas Teslas keep running some stuff off main batteries. At least when idle and not asleep main battery is definitely used. If main battery is disconnected when asleep the other factor could be the size of the individual cells much smaller in the Tesla than a Bolt or Leaf.

pcons: that was Monday morning to Wednesday evening, so around 60 hours

I'm trying TeslaFi to see what happens, I enabled night and sleep modes

Curious to see if others can publish their data
My data from last Wednesday to this Wednesday:
24th 10h14m sleep 1.93km lost, 3h36m idle 10.12km lost
25th 9h57m sleep 9.48km lost, 10h39m idle 14.81km lost
26th 12h56m sleep 7.72km lost, 3h47m idle 8.1km lost
27th 13h55m sleep 6.07km lost, 6h43m idle 9.43km lost
28th 17h28m sleep 6.08km lost, 5h56m idle 5.39km lost
29th 10h31m sleep 3.86km lost, 6h35m idle 10.78km lost
30th 13h15m sleep 9.35km lost, 5h14m idle 9.43km lost
31st 10h48m sleep 3.75km lost, 4h14m idle 10.07km lost

5944 minutes sleeping
2804 minutes idle
48.24km lost sleeping =~ 0.487km/hour sleeping
78.13km lost idle =~ 1.67km/hour idle

Though the first 12 minutes or so of any sleep period is technically idle time, because the car hasn't started sleeping yet.

My data from last Wednesday to this Wednesday:
24th 10h14m sleep 1.93km lost, 3h36m idle 10.12km lost
25th 9h57m sleep 9.48km lost, 10h39m idle 14.81km lost
26th 12h56m sleep 7.72km lost, 3h47m idle 8.1km lost
27th 13h55m sleep 6.07km lost, 6h43m idle 9.43km lost
28th 17h28m sleep 6.08km lost, 5h56m idle 5.39km lost
29th 10h31m sleep 3.86km lost, 6h35m idle 10.78km lost
30th 13h15m sleep 9.35km lost, 5h14m idle 9.43km lost
31st 10h48m sleep 3.75km lost, 4h14m idle 10.07km lost

5944 minutes sleeping
2804 minutes idle
48.24km lost sleeping =~ 0.487km/hour sleeping
78.13km lost idle =~ 1.67km/hour idle

Though the first 12 minutes or so of any sleep period is technically idle time, because the car hasn't started sleeping yet.
So you lost 126km of range in a week?

So you lost 126km of range in a week?

Yes that's about it. Would be a bit less without running TeslaFi as car would usually sleep after 12 minutes, while TeslaFi will wait half an hour before putting it to sleep, but I guess that's about it. So 126km/500km * 75kWh = 18.9kWh.

But based on that if I had not driven at all and car was asleep all week it would have been:closer to 10km/day but still over 12kWh.

Haven't had much time to digest the latest posts from @bijan and @Blu Angel , but want to spend some time on this....like I've said before, in my volt I could 100% leave it parked at an airport for a week and not lose a single km of range. My wife's bolt is the same, we usually only charge it every few days at best, and if we left it for a week it wouldn't lose anything. Its crazy to think that a tesla is considered 'normal' if it looses the equivalent of a gen 2 volt's charge per week.

I'm not expecting this to be addressed or fixed, since it seems to be something tesla owners accept. However, coming from 5 years of GM EVs the only reason this isn't bothering me too much is that I've become used to having < 100 km of range. But from a scientific perspective I am very curious as to why there is such a difference. One could argue the volt has a gas backup, but then why does the bolt not lose range at this crazy rate when idle?