Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what I saw on my drive home tonight I need to pay more attention to when I do/don’t need the AC on. I haven’t been very diligent on that front and it seems to make a big difference.

I find the Auto setting always has AC on to get the temperature down to the setting on the screen. Lately with the humidity, the front windshield fogs up quickly without AC.

Do you think it affects the range that much?

I noticed the car's been draining the battery during the day when the car is in the sun. I assume it's turning on the cooling system to optimize battery performance / keeping key components like the electronics cooled. Yesterday, the car used up 5km worth of juice from 8AM to 5PM (~ 1 hour of charging at 120V 12A).

pretty impressive efficiency. My Model S P90D...not so much. Wonder how much of the difference is improved technology (vs weight, power draw for P and driving style )
Screenshot_20180817-114100_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: McCaesar
I find the Auto setting always has AC on to get the temperature down to the setting on the screen. Lately with the humidity, the front windshield fogs up quickly without AC.

Do you think it affects the range that much?

I noticed the car's been draining the battery during the day when the car is in the sun. I assume it's turning on the cooling system to optimize battery performance / keeping key components like the electronics cooled. Yesterday, the car used up 5km worth of juice from 8AM to 5PM (~ 1 hour of charging at 120V 12A).

I think it eats a good amount of energy. Not near as much as heat, but still significant. I’m going to compare with AC last night vs tonight. My drive home is more “downhill” and I did it without AC and measured 114 Wh/km. I didn’t deliberately slow down or hit much traffic either. It’s not going to be perfectly scientific but at least a good general idea. I agree sometimes you need the AC not to fog up, or even just to be comfortable when it’s hot/humid, but I’d let mine stay on almost full time even when I didn’t really need it.

Setting cabin overheat protection to not use AC under the gear on Safety & Security can minimize some of that daytime usage you mentioned. That or you can turn it off altogether.

I got 113Wh/km the other day ttoo after a short charge. It may be the type of driving. Highway would take more and stop and go city may average less with more regen opportunities.

My same drive tonight with AC on was 138 Wh/km vs the 114 yesterday. That said it was a bit wet for the first while so that may have been a problem too. This is definitely not an exact science.

Reactions: McCaesar
Someone correct my math if I am wrong. So lets say my commute is 60km a day and I average 160Wh/km with AC and 130Wh/km without AC. (160Wh/km) / (1000Wh/KWh) = 0.16KWh/km and (130Wh/km) / (1000Wh/KWh) = 0.13KWh/km. Therefore, a commute of 60km and charging at off-peak hours in Ontario is 6.5 cents we get 0.16 * 60 * 0.065 = 0.624 cents per day for my commute. And 0.13 * 60 * 0.065 = 0.507 cents. Saving of 0.117 cents driving without AC. Is it really worth driving without AC?

Someone correct my math if I am wrong. So lets say my commute is 60km a day and I average 160Wh/km with AC and 130Wh/km without AC. (160Wh/km) / (1000Wh/KWh) = 0.16KWh/km and (130Wh/km) / (1000Wh/KWh) = 0.13KWh/km. Therefore, a commute of 60km and charging at off-peak hours in Ontario is 6.5 cents we get 0.16 * 60 * 0.065 = 0.624 cents per day for my commute. And 0.13 * 60 * 0.065 = 0.507 cents. Saving of 0.117 cents driving without AC. Is it really worth driving without AC?

I think that's a comfort / safety choice you have to make. A/C is needed to defog on a wet / cold winter day where the humidity of the cabin is high enough for water to condensate on the glass.

Personally, driving with the windows down on non highway roads is an amazing experience in an EV. Only sounds you hear is the tires on the road, the wind, and the sound of birds.

Also, it's more than 6.5c per kW; closer to 0.11c per kW after delivery and taxes.

Last edited:

I drive 160 km / day and my power cost is about 2x what you quoted with delivery, so the net difference is a bit more.

Overall for me it’s two things: 1) a bit of waste not want not - I’ll still use AC to be comfortable but turn it off when not needed and 2) more importantly I know that if I’m driving where there are fewer Superchargers I can go 20% further on a charge. That can be a real help on those trips.

Driving without AC is definitely not worth it on hot days. AC uses minimal power compared with the physics of pushing 3000 lbs (or whatever the 3 weighs) around at 60-100km/h.

Even in the winter, staying warm is better than saving a few dimes per charge. This is from a guy who drove 4 winters with 2 volts, one with a 10.5kwh battery and another with 14.1kwh. My first year in an EV I was obsessed with never using gas, to the point that I had an ice scraper for the inside of the car windows and a 12v heated blanket (which I still own) ;)

But after a while you realize it's not worth it and just let the car do it's thing. In the winter on the coldest days you will lose 30-40% of your range due to outside temperature and running heat, part of that loss is battery related and wind resistance as cold air is more dense than hot, so prob only 20% is heat related. .... But then that means you would be paying about $2 in electricity per full charge (75kwh x $0.13/kwh x 20%) to stay warm.... When I get my model 3 I'll likely only need to charge once per week in the dead of winter (60 km round trip commute)....so I'll gladly pay $0.40/day for heat in the coldest winter days...an ICE car will use $0.40 of dino juice in about 3km.

Comparing this to AC, that will be 5x less use than heat at least, so about $0.08/day to have AC is cool with me (pun intended) ;)

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Model three appears to be ~130-160Wh/km. Pretty impressive compare to some S and X numbers. Weight is huge. Imagine what a gutted P3AWD can do on a track?

View attachment 328448

Hmmm, the S and X must be pretty inefficient then (relatively speaking). On my gen 2 volt I'll get around 95km most days on the 14.1 kwh battery around this time of year (mostly hwy driving with minimal AC use). If I drive in the city at ~ 60km/h I'll easily get over 100km range. My wife's bolt is slightly better, probably around 5-10%, but closer to 5%. So, it looks like the model 3 is going to be similar to my wife's bolt then. Now, driving style has a huge impact on range, but it does seem from this that if you drive the same route, the same way a model 3 is closer to a volt/bolt than I would have thought.