TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Model 3 Wh/km

Discussion in 'Canada' started by McCaesar, Aug 15, 2018.

1. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

AWD is less efficient than RWD, so getting 150 I think will be good normal driving. Unlike the Model S, the AWD 3 apparently takes a bit of a range hit going to AWD (but still meets 500km rating at approx 150). Some independent testing validated this...I think I remember seeing AWD was about 8% less efficient than RWD alone.

This is based off of my first week, but also having driven 2 volts for almost 5 years and getting to know how to maximize range. Driving the 3 like I drove my volts and I can get around 140-150. It seems the RWD can get around 130 under similar conditions.

Remember a huge impact is also outside temp and terrain (in addition to how aggressively you accelerate). Given it has been relatively cool, I'm not surprised people are seeing 150-180 or worse.

Also, as far as EAP being less efficient...I wouldn't be surprised. EAP tends to slow down fairly late and accelerate more aggressively than I normally would if I was trying to maximize range. But given how large the battery is, I'm just going to enjoy driving and not worry much if I get slightly below 500km to a full charge...well actually since I charge to 90% I guess that's more like getting slightly less than 450 to a 90% charge. Coming from my Gen 2 Volt which would get me between 70-100km/charge I'm feeling quite comfortable. :)

• Like x 1
  2. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

I guess I'm not going as hard as I think I am :D

upload_2018-10-9_8-37-56.png

• Like x 2
  3. AxelRod

AxelRod Member

Swapped everything to chill mode and upped my tire pressure. Still can't get below 180 no matter how hard I try! Starting to think AWD is just very inefficient.

4. bijan

bijan Member

I just got an AWD. According to Teslafi I got 147 on my drive to work this morning. But average overall is 169 over 510km due to much higher numbers on short drives. Not sure this if this is consistent with what is displayed on the car display though, don't know what period of time it averages is over, if it includes drain, etc.

5. 5_+JqckQttqck

It doesn't take into account of drain. Only Wh used when the wheels are turning (AC, cabin heat, lights, heated seats, and all onboard electronics). It makes sense that the extra motor's weight and hunger for e-juice would make it more inefficient even with the additional regen capacity. Unless you're going down a mountain, you'll never regain what you used.

• Like x 1
  6. Lon12

Lon12 Member

My odometer is sitting at 880 km and my average is 190 Wh/km.
    I've been driving in below zero temperatures and snow. Wish I lived in Southern Ontario. :(

• Like x 2
  7. 5_+JqckQttqck

Cheer up mate; still cheaper than paying for gas ;). I'm sure my numbers will go up after this winter.

• Like x 1
  8. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

Well, I did a 'test' yesterday and tried some hypermiling like I would have done in my volt (on a route I have done many times before)...here is the result. Note the 'current drive' drive, was a net downhill route, but included some highway driving (kept it to 95 since wind resistance is a bitch) and tried to accelerate very gingerly (which is tough considering the power in the AWDs):

upload_2018-10-9_17-20-39.png

Lifetime I'm at 150, with tires at 45 psi and not paying too much attention to driving 'efficiently'...though as I said before, driving a volt for the past 4-5 years has somewhat trained my reflex to be more on the conservative side. I also have a 9 month old in the back seat sometimes, so I can't really punch it when he is in a rear facing child seat :)

• Like x 1
  9. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

I had a thought earlier today about you guys reporting difficulty getting the efficiency down to the 150 range....am I right to assume this is your first EV? If so I think it's just that you aren't letting Regen braking do its thing and are using too much friction braking. Thus losing the chance to recoup some of the energy while slowing the car.

In a tesla basically anytime you use the brake pedal to slow down you are wasting the kinetic energy of the car. Get to know how to one foot drive and only use the brakes when you have to come to a stop from 5km/h or so and you should see drastic improvement in efficiency.

Of course it starts with not being a lead foot and not driving 130 km/h...but the more I think about it, this will make a big difference.

In the Volt and the Bolt gently pressing the brake still uses Regen rather than friction braking, but Tesla's work differently. Any time you touch the brake it engages the friction brakes, and you lose the ability to recover energy back to the battery.

Hope that helps get you some better numbers :D

• Like x 1
  10. Ludatik

Ludatik Member

That's not it for me. I use regen heavily and barely touch the brake pedal. I also use the accelerator pedal heavily.

11. bijan

bijan Member

I'm not sure that pressing the brake pedal disables regen completely as I could swear that it displays the green bar to me on the screen (will check again tomorrow). I think the brake pedal triggers a combination of regen and friction brakes.

• Like x 1
  12. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

It's not that it disables Regen, it just doesn't add to it and begins to slow the car with friction. I think if you put the car into low Regen and try pressing the brakes you will find it doesn't increase the energy recovery rate when pressing the brake. In both the Volt and Bolt it does.

So that means even in standard Regen, if the brakes make contact you are losing kinetic energy without any recovery. Also means you are wearing your brake pads down and creating brake dust unnecessarily. In theory, your brakes should never need to engage if you want to drive the most efficiently (except for stopping fully).

That's actually one of the things I prefer about the bolt. It's Regen will bring you to a full stop, so in theory you may never need to change the brakes in a bolt because they would never get used except for applying the parking brake.

13. bijan

bijan Member

I'm not sure regen is effective down to 0 speed at least that is what I read somewhere. I think bolt might use friction brakes to stop the car the last little bit even with 1 pedal driving. It's just more convenient not more efficient necessarily.

14. 5_+JqckQttqck

With creep off you can feather the car into every turn with precision - it's like riding a motorcycle without shifting :)

15. Lon12

Lon12 Member

Well this is a little better. Finally warmed up here. Strong tail wind.... ;)
    CanmoreTrip.jpg

• Like x 1
  16. GlenM

GlenM Member

I'm in Calgary as well and I'm at 1837 km and 194 Wh/km. I've been having fun with my car. :D

• Like x 3
  17. wuyg719

wuyg719 Member

Mine is 12511km today, avg 143wh/km
    I got my car on the last of May

• Like x 1
  18. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

6,850 and 155. I turn regen down on the 3 once a week or so and every time after I wash the car. Exercising your friction brakes and putting some heat into them occasionally keeps your rotors and pads clean. Your full-on emergency braking distance will thank you.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. iMoe

iMoe Member

Vancouver, British Columbia, Grand Blanc Nord
    That's a good tip, thanks for sharing. How long do you exercise them for?

20. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Once a week or so I turn the regen down around town until I’m happy the brakes are clean and quite warm. Throw in a few aggressive stops when the conditions are good to put some heat in them. Regen back to high.

After washing the car/wheels I take it for a 10 minute spin locally to make sure their fully dry before garaging it.

I opened tracked for 10 years. Went through consumables like rotors, tires and a lot of brake pads and fluid. You can’t help but learn a fair amount brakes and how critically important they are. High regen EV’s minmize brake use. I just want 100% out of my brakes when I really need them.

• Like x 2