Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today it was about +3C, had a trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls, and my Tesla model 3 shows 183 Wh/km battery consumption.
Is it good, bad, or maybe normal?
For Toronto to Niagara, and assuming you had heat on; yes that would be a fairly good efficiency since the heater still taps a fair bit of energy from the battery.

In the summer when it's warmer that same trip should get you much closer to 150 wh/km if you have an AWD (non performance), and likely around 130-140 if you have a RWD.

53876927-3AA3-4E4B-A5EA-43B9F14C21E7.jpeg
D929315D-BF85-46D7-BF29-749C2AAE0D43.jpeg
Model 3 LR RWD with 18" aeros. 170 Wh/km for the first 8,200 km. Then I installed my winter tires. I've averaged 221 Wh/km since then.

I would not be surprised to be the least efficient as more than half my mileage has been with stuff on the roof: canoe, paddleboards, bikes or roof box. I also live near North America's northernmost supercharger, leave the heater at 21C all the time and don't think I've turned the seat heaters off since the winter tires got mounted.

Now when it was summer and I drove sensibly with nothing on the roof, I'd get somewhere around 150 Wh/km, but where's the fun in that!?

If you put climate on manual, no AC and fan speed on 1 you should be able to get close to rated Wh (150) even at temps around 0C, yesterday was +7C according to display, I got 161wh farting around town shopping, groceries etc.. over 100km
If it’s sunny you may not need any climate. I just drove Edmonton to Calgary with HVAC off the whole way. It was below zero the entire trip but I was nice and warm. No jacket or gloves. The 3 is much tighter than my S was.

Drove from Toronto to Montreal yesterday. Temp was about 3 - 4 degrees C but high winds and driving rain for almost the entire trip.
Total trip was 548.7 km, using 126 kWh and average 230 Wh/km.

Left Toronto with 96% - arrived at the Kingston SC with only 15%. (1 charger was down, and 1 was occupied). Drove apx 118 - 120 km/hr. Drove 256.1 km, used 58 kWh at 228 wh/km.

Left Kingston with 81% and arrived in Cornwall with 23%. Drove 178.9 km, used 42 kWh and 237 wh/km. Drove this leg at about 130 km/hr.

Left Cornwall with 64% and arrived in Montreal with about 30% - Drove 113.7 km used 25 kWh ad average 222 Wh/km.

Charged in Kingston and Cornwall next to a very nice Blue (same colour as my 3) Model S with a nice looking ski rack on top.

Heading back from Montreal to Toronto today. Probably leaving Mtl with about 60%, - abetterouteplanner is suggesting Cornwall and Belleville. Will play it by ear depending on weather etc. (It is unfortunate that Cornwall is "so far" off the highway compared to some of the other chargers. Other than the bathroom in the hotel, not much else going around right near by when it is cold and winter out.

Drove from Toronto to Montreal yesterday. Temp was about 3 - 4 degrees C but high winds and driving rain for almost the entire trip.
Total trip was 548.7 km, using 126 kWh and average 230 Wh/km.

Heading back from Montreal to Toronto today. Probably leaving Mtl with about 60%, - abetterouteplanner is suggesting Cornwall and Belleville. Will play it by ear depending on weather etc. (It is unfortunate that Cornwall is "so far" off the highway compared to some of the other chargers. Other than the bathroom in the hotel, not much else going around right near by when it is cold and winter out.

What's the time spent at each SC + Total trip time? I imagine it'd be way quicker in the warmer months.

I spent quite a bit of time in Kingston. I don’t recall exactly but may have been around 35-40 minutes. Charge speed starts pretty high but I find that the speeds throttle back pretty aggressively (possibly more so than at Cornwall - and at Kingston there was only one other car charging). I know rated range is only aspirational especially in the winter- but going from 96% to 14 or 15% to get from Toronto to Kingston (only about 250 km) with 2 passengers and the heat barely on is a cautionary tale.

At Cornwall, speeds actually started higher and didn’t seem to throttle back as aggressively - likely wasn’t there more than 15 maybe 20 minutes

I spent quite a bit of time in Kingston. I don’t recall exactly but may have been around 35-40 minutes. Charge speed starts pretty high but I find that the speeds throttle back pretty aggressively (possibly more so than at Cornwall - and at Kingston there was only one other car charging). I know rated range is only aspirational especially in the winter- but going from 96% to 14 or 15% to get from Toronto to Kingston (only about 250 km) with 2 passengers and the heat barely on is a cautionary tale.

At Cornwall, speeds actually started higher and didn’t seem to throttle back as aggressively - likely wasn’t there more than 15 maybe 20 minutes

Sounds about right. With 90% (450km) charge, the usage data shows 250km~300km worth of range with this year's winter temps. Need a few more winters to compare data. A 0.6~0.66 multiplier is safe to apply to the displayed range. Especially driving at 120kph. For optimal efficiency, it's still ~88kph for most cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
Trip home was pretty smooth except for some white knuckled sections on the way back to Toronto where the wind whips the snow across the 401 and you are driving basically blind for short periods of time.

I left Montreal with about 68% - temp was about -6 but the winds were threatening again to blow me off the road (not literally). The car wanted me to stop at Point Claire and charge to close to full and then get home with about 6% - that was never going to happen. (Meaning, even if I drove at 90 km/hr I doubt I would have made it).

Instead, I went to Cornwall and got there with 28%. I drove 116.8 km used 29 kWh averaging 252 Wh/km. (I was driving a steady 124 with very high winds). I left Cornwall with 76%.

Arrived in Kingston with 20%. I drove this leg mainly without the heat on except for about the last 15 minutes. Drove 179.4 km used 40 kWh and averaged 224 wh/km.

I didn’t think I would make it from Kingston back home and didn’t want to wait at Kingston long enough to get a high enough SofC to even try, so I left with 68% and arrived in Port Hope with 16%. Drove 154.5 km used 37 kWh and averaged 241 Wh/km. I did this leg likely 125 km/hr +. (This was my first time at the Port Hope SC. A fair number of chargers, and close to the highway. While there is quire a bit nearby walking (Tim Hortons, Harveys, Subway) the superchargers are in the back of the parking lot behind everything. At night, it was dark, cold and windy walking across a wide open back lot with lots of 18 wheelers moving around, in order to get to some coffee. Better than Kingston and Cornwall in terms of walking distance to Coffee but careful in the parking lot. Kingston is great for shopping (although only 6 stalls with 1 broken both days) in the outlet mall but no place for coffee within easy walking of the SC).

Left Port Hope with 57% and arrived home with 21%. Drove 106.3 km, used 26 kWh and averaged 248 Wh/km.

Total return home was 556.9 km; 133 kWh; 239 Wh/km.

Because of the very high winds, cold weather, and high speed I was travelling, I tried not to leave a SC until I saw I had about 28% estimated SofC to arrive at the next stop / charger. I probably could have left each SC a little earlier and arrived with a little lower SofC but didn’t want to take a chance given the conditions. For each stop (both ways) I typically arrived with about 10 - 13% less SofC than was estimated on the in car nav before I left)

I know there are lots of threads and posts about interior noise, whether it is wind noise, road noise or a combination, but I have to say that while I love the car, generally don’t mind the frequent stops to charge, and AP is generally pretty good (except for a couple of sudden decelerations, and reluctance to change lanes etc) I find the interior cabin noise to be really really high almost to the point of being uncomfortable - I need to crank the stereo, either music or talk radio etc and there were large parts of the trip where I ad to shut it off because the combination of loud radio and loud interior cabin noise was just too much. Up to about 110 km/hr it is probably ok, but over that, and I find it far from quiet. (18” winters with Aero and apx 43-44 PSI). Granted, it was super windy outside, but I have taken road trips in much better weather and find it the same.

Question - I record this information manually while sitting at the SC. Do any of the third party programs record trip based stats like this that could “automate” this recording process?

Question - I record this information manually while sitting at the SC. Do any of the third party programs record trip based stats like this that could “automate” this recording process?

I use TeslaFi. It tracks all charging, supercharging, driving, idle, etc. stats.

It also lets you see the summary for a road trip by searching for all data between a pair of dates.

Based on it my last trip to Montreal and back on Family day long weekend was about:
1400km
204 Wh/km average usage
with an average temp of -4C.
(also shows how many times I charged/supercharged, how many kW were added, etc.)

204 Wh/km?! Wow - I have never come close to that. Heat on or off? Average driving speed?

Heat on 20C the whole time. Non performance AWD.

Usually I'm a bit higher too at least when it's colder.

On the way there lots of traffic leaving toronto:
182 Wh/km from Toronto to Belleville averaging 76km/h at -1C
195 Wh/km from Belleville to Cornwall averaging 115km/h at -1C
189 Wh/km from Cornwall to Montreal averaging 107km/h still at -1C

On the way back also traffic due to long weekend Monday:
202 Wh/km Montreal to Cornwall averaging 101km/h at -6C
205 Wh/km Cornwall to Belleville averaging 95km/h at -6C (traffic from an accident plus long weekend)
Belleville to Oakville first hour was 203 (105km/h) at -6C second hour was 219 (110km/h) at -9C

Guess my speeds were slower than before. And temperatures were higher than my previous trips which were around -8 to -10C. There may have been less wind.

Last two times I remember closer to 240Wh/km on the way there. Barely made it from Cornwall to Belleville with 90% charge (about 16km range left when I got to Cornwall supercharger). I also had a dent on the rear driver's side door before that might have affected my aerodynamics, which is now fixed.