Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only imagine the conversations within Tesla as folks here and elsewhere were praising the looks of those wheels, knowing that they were only meant to hold wheel covers. :p
I don't think Tesla ever expected people to use the covers. The wheel covers are there so Tesla can advertise X miles of range (* with included wheel covers). And that works to our advantage because the only time you would use them is on an extended trip.

I don't think Tesla ever expected people to use the covers. The wheel covers are there so Tesla can advertise X miles of range (* with included wheel covers). And that works to our advantage because the only time you would use them is on an extended trip.
I'll be interested see if the reveal cars are rolled on stage with the covers and if they can be attached and removed in a way that doesn't damage the finish on the wheels.

Edit: A hub cap/cover would be nice too.

Reactions: EValuatED and 22522
I expect the covers would look better if the openings followed the Pie shape rather than the spoke shape, and the Cd could still round the right way.

That is what I originally thought too. But if you look closely at the picture above, the Alpha wheel is much different, not even close.
They are the same I believe, just the colors are switched. The parts that were black and grey are now grey and black.

Still not convinced these are covers. I don't think Tesla would use such cheesy, cheap solution.

(Sign) I'm just not a fan of the V spoke wheel rim design, which is looking like it might be the default standard, as folks are speculating those are the 18" and the slipstream looking wheels are the 20"....Any thoughts on the chances that they'll over both versions as 18's and 20's?....I see if you configure a model S you get two 19" rim options and two 21" rim options.

I guess I'm just hoping out loud I don't have to drop $2,500ish to get away from the v-spoke design.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Any thoughts on the chances that they'll over both versions as 18's and 20's?....

The Tesla comparison sheet says the Model 3 will only have 18" and 19" wheel options. No 20" factory wheels.

My guess is that since Tesla is simplifying and reduce build options that there will only be one style of 18" and one style of 19" wheels. You can always go for aftermarket wheels, which I assume there will be lots of them available fairly quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'd do it for a 1% increase in range. I like a closed wheel look.

I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg to get them, but I'd happily run them if they are cheap enough.

Just pick up a set of OEM Tesla Aero wheels from the original Model S ... 3% range increase :cool:

Aero1 wheels.jpg

Just pick up a set of OEM Tesla Aero wheels from the original Model S ... 3% range increase :cool:

View attachment 230129

+ I'd actually use those if I got them cheap enough and they fit the Model 3

- They are 19" and you'd get more range on 18" or 17" whatever the lowest wheel size is assuming you can get equal or better aero.

Given the amount of low speed driving I do. I'd take worse aero with better rolling resistance and lower weight rims if I can't get good aero at the smaller size.

So long as they offer the aero covers or wheels for the base rims I'll use those.

Any indication if the Model S 19" will be a direct fit for the Model 3? It doesn't seem unreasonable and would be great for buying at tirerack or discounttiresdirect which already have a large variety of Model S wheels.
I'm sure the bolt pattern will be the same, but biggest concern could be the offsets and making sure they don't rub or hit brake caliper. I assume they should work fine, but won't know until we know what offset the 3's wheels are.

Reactions: T34ME