Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, can someone please explain the pro's/con's of the 18" vs 19" wheels.
Thanks!
Typically the larger the diameter wheel, the shorter (lower profile) the sidewall of the tire is. While this usually improves handling, it will most likely have a rougher ride. The shorter sidewalls of the tire also don't provide as much protection for the wheel if one were to hit potholes or other road imperfections. Tire replacement costs for larger diameter wheels are also slightly more expensive. Larger diameter wheels also are typically heavier which will decrease range slightly as well.

Really no con with the 18" wheels/tires other than slightly less sporty look and slightly less handling.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
To add to Zaphod's answer, the taller sidewall of the tire on 18" wheel will probably put down power more effectively than the shorter sidewall tire for the larger wheel. A consideration especially for RWD cars.
Assuming the 18" wheel has narrower tires, the tires will be less susceptible to aquaplaning in rainy weather, and can push through deep snow more easily. Narrower tires also have lower aero drag.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and 22522
235/40R19 96W

Tyres have speed rating W, good for 270km/h. First lower rating is Z, which is good for 240km/h.
Load rating of 96 means 710 kg per wheel, with EXTRA LOAD marker for reinforced tires, usually meaning a bit harder rubber.

fwSK9Nx.jpg

Any specs for the 18 wheels?
The tire wants to be 26.3 inches in diameter. So likely 235/45 R18.

Depending on OEM performance (if the tire is loud or bad in the wet) I will try to fit 245/45 R18 tires on the rims - slightly larger @26.7 inches, but I will never use chains. Likely these:

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 11.33.46 AM.png

First picture of the centre caps! Look ok but not near as nice as the CF ones on the Alpha's. As the Alpha's were 20" of similar design I assumed they would be the upgrade. Tha 18's will look pretty good with centre caps.

FWIW you hypermilers can get the same diameter in a 195/55/18. I bet with LRR tires it would probably give you a good 10% more range! ;)

Yes, a more narrow width 195 low rolling resistance (LRR) tire will definitely improve the range :cool:

No, narrower tires cause deeper holes in the side of the car.
Base configuration will be optimal, with aero-wheels being the sole beneficial upgrade.

Not necessarily true ... the stock rim width will still be the same with a more stretched tire profile.
For the maximum range, try a narrow tire with an aero wheel ... the OEM Tesla wheel shown below :cool:

upload_2017-6-10_13-38-26.png

Interesting that it has Michelin tires on it, unlike the Continentals seen on the silver spotted the other day.
I don't recognize the tire, the shoulders look a little more square - maybe for aero reasons...
This is the first one where the lettering did not look ground off - maybe there will be two suppliers and they don't want customers to be too picky?

Anyway, Michelin is decent at run flat tires. Here is part of a test report, with a Michelin in teal:

image.jpeg

Could it be the 'aero wheels' are just wheel covers that fit on the smaller rims?
You are on to something there... looking at the silver 3 driving by the factory - it certainly appears they are aero covers not wheels. The lack of external bolts, the fact you can see the silver behind the black (entire inside of rim is silver) - sure looks like covers to me!
2017-06-11_5-59-28.jpg
2017-06-11_5-59-42.jpg

Kind of reminds me when people were attaching pizza pans to their Model S wheels for road trips LOL.