Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 on a Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just ordered a model S 60. I have one concern and that's the range. I am 95 percent a local driver where range will not be an issue. I'm concerned and think maybe I should modify to a 75 before my week runs out though.

I live in DC. I recently drove my Taurus Sho to Louisville to visit my son with one fill up in route. When I look at the super charger stations from DC to Louisville and DC to Venice, Fla some of them are far apart. I'm not sure that even under perfect conditions that a S 60 can make it from super charger to super charger.

Anybody have any insight about road tripping up and down I 95 or DC to Louisville in a Model S?

I drove my 60 from Tampa to Boston, no problem. Would it have been faster and easier with a 75? Sure, of course. If you can easily afford the 75, I would say do it. You will likely find yourself making more road trips than you did before, so best to get the max range in your budget. But if you'd rather keep the cost down, you can still road trip in a 60.

A good ballpark is, Tesla claimed range ~ which you will loose 5 miles from in the first 5k miles.
Calculate 90% of that - that's your best case on a daily basis.
And calculate 90% of that.

So .. S60 = 210, 205 after some use, 183 mi on tap at 90%, that's very ideal conditions, so in winter more like 150.
And you'll never want to hit the last 10 just to be safe.

Do you feel comfortable with a 140 home to back home drive over the next 10 years? Look at your last 10 years of driving and you are the best judge.

Personally speaking, I thought 70D was a very sweet spot, but short of that 75D is pretty damn nice. 90D slightly overkill, but better acceleration, and well depending on where you live, 90D may be ideal.

First of all, congrats on the order! We just did a round trip from Philly to Orlando and didn't have any problems or range anxiety in our S60.

Generally I drive 4 miles a day and take the train to DC. If I drive to work it is 50 miles round trip which is why I ordered a 60. Worried about the couple trips a year I do take. You had no range issues on I95. Some of those SCs in NC, SC, and GA seem far apart....

Generally I drive 4 miles a day and take the train to DC. If I drive to work it is 50 miles round trip which is why I ordered a 60. Worried about the couple trips a year I do take. You had no range issues on I95. Some of those SCs in NC, SC, and GA seem far apart....

Try experimenting with some route planning on EV Trip Planner that will give you a very good idea of what any particular route would be like.

yes, that seems to be a common tread that nobody wants a smaller battery lol

One thing to keep in mind is that SC and destination charging locations are increasing exponentially. If you look on tesla's webite (not mobile site) and click on "charging" you'll see by default a map that shows the number of SC as of today. You can click "2016" on the map and see how many more SC and destination charging are about to pop up. To get more details, click on the map itself.

...can you charge a 60 to 100 percent since there is unused battery?
There was a long thread with much speculation about this, and maybe someone posted actual results. I don't know for sure but probably. If you supercharge it to 100% and it finishes in less than an hour then yes, you can charge to 100% every day. The last few percent can take a half hour on a range charge, even on a supercharger. It actually tapers to single digit kW. You shouldn't see that happen if the top of the battery is restricted.

I can always upgrade to 75 if I have range anxiety (I might already have it lol)...can you charge a 60 to 100 percent since there is unused battery?

Yes, you can charge to 100% all of the time with the new 60. It should also take less time to charge to 100% at supercharger stops than batteries that are not software limited.

Worst case you can pay to unlock all 75 kWh if the 60 doesn't work for your trips.

GSP

One thing to keep in mind is that SC and destination charging locations are increasing exponentially. If you look on tesla's webite (not mobile site) and click on "charging" you'll see by default a map that shows the number of SC as of today. You can click "2016" on the map and see how many more SC and destination charging are about to pop up. To get more details, click on the map itself.

Sorry...hit post accidentally.

My point is I think you'll be just fine, without worry, in a year or 2. Supercharger is nice but the destination charging locations has helped my father and I on more than a couple of occasions when taking road trips.