Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Annual Service Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that Ranger service will perform minor repairs on-site (replacing faulty door-handles, etc) whereas with roadside assistance you are limited to the more traditional services (refuel, battery jump, unlock doors, etc) which only allow you to be on your way (don't actually perform repairs).

@mknox, So how did your service visit go?

Dropped it off last night after work and they said they may need it until Thursday. A little disappointed that the promised Model S loaner wasn't available to me and I'm driving a Ford Fusion for the next couple of days. The Fusion isn't a bad car, but I'll probably spend a month's worth of electricity on gasoline due to my long commute to work.

Did they say the loaner wasn't available because it had been sold? That sounded like the reasoning behind their "keeping the loaners close to home" logic...the loaners are selling so fast they cannot keep them in stock, and need them nearby for a quick turnaround.

Did they say the loaner wasn't available because it had been sold? That sounded like the reasoning behind their "keeping the loaners close to home" logic...the loaners are selling so fast they cannot keep them in stock, and need them nearby for a quick turnaround.

The rep actually started to say he thought "something was wrong with it", then cut himself off and walked in to the shop in the back. When he came back he simply said the car was unavailable until tomorrow and I could have an Enterprise rental. I couldn't come back the next day since I had to be at work an hour away from the SC at roughly the same time they open in the morning. I wasn't going to take time off work just for this (that's why I made specific arrangements to drop it off the night before). I did notice a black P85 with the hood open, nosecone off and charge cables going in. Not sure if that was the loaner or not.

Didn't receive this checklist but, these were the service notes from my "annual" service visit at 14 months, 21,000 miles:

annual.png

I find it rather humorous that the left wiper blade costs $29 and the right one costs only $21.50.

Different lengths. I've noticed this price discrepancy on all of my cars that have had different sized blades. They must price them by the inch or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't receive this checklist but, these were the service notes from my "annual" service visit at 14 months, 21,000 miles:

I didn't get the alignment or the ride height adjustment at my annual service last fall....

I wonder why the need to replace the receiver/ dryer on the AC system so frequently? I have owned dozens of cars and the only time you need to replace that is if the system is opened to the atmosphere (in other words a leak that let's all of the refrigerant out) or if the compressor comes apart and the metal particles cause a blockage. I really doubt this service item is necessary.

Also, a note about the $600: I had not purchased the prepaid service plans but, I did get the ESA (aka extended warranty) for years 4-8.

For some reason, the software that the Service Advisors use doesn't show this distinction and my advisor initially listed a charge of $0 on my invoice with pay type "service plan"!

I informed the advisor of my eagerness to part with $600 and she thanked me for the honesty :)

Tesla has asked me to remove my original pdf (see 1st post of this thread) since it is no longer accurate. While I believe this pdf should remain to show what the Annual Checklist was at one time, I have been informed that this list is no longer accurate. To find out what is currently included in your Model S Annual Checklist, please check with your Tesla Service Center.

Last edited:
I just had mine in for it's FIRST service at 23k miles. The work order was like 6 or 7 pages long of like 18 different items including lots of TSBs. ...

Someone else asked if you could post it, perhaps you could PM if ou're not comfortable with a post?? I too am curious - I had 1 TSB at my yearly and only because I asked them to look into the funny noise made when steering...

Amazing how the bill comes out to $600.00!? 2.91 hours labor: yeah, right! That is so transparent. Do you think their system tracks to 36 seconds?

For that much $, it's good to see four wheel alignment included, as that didn't show up in the OPs checklist.

[] Has anyone tried to replace the key fob battery themselves? I wrecked a Honda key fob once trying to do that...
[] Has anyone been billed for the AC evac and recharge after two years? As someone said, that interval seems too short.

I'm approaching my 8000 km tire rotation, and will seek a local tire and alignment shop willing to work on the Tesla. I have never been inclined to take my cars to the dealer for routine maintenance; only if I have a warranty claim or my local shop defers to them (occasionally after having fouled things up). ;=)

View attachment 45265

Amazing how the bill comes out to $600.00!? 2.91 hours labor: yeah, right! That is so transparent. Do you think their system tracks to 36 seconds?

For that much $, it's good to see four wheel alignment included, as that didn't show up in the OPs checklist.

[] Has anyone tried to replace the key fob battery themselves? I wrecked a Honda key fob once trying to do that...
[] Has anyone been billed for the AC evac and recharge after two years? As someone said, that interval seems too short.

I'm approaching my 8000 km tire rotation, and will seek a local tire and alignment shop willing to work on the Tesla. I have never been inclined to take my cars to the dealer for routine maintenance; only if I have a warranty claim or my local shop defers to them (occasionally after having fouled things up). ;=)

ride height calibration is interesting...are they manually changing something in the air suspension to "hard wire it" to a higher ride height? (I hope not).

Regarding key fob battery replacement, yes its very easy. Standard cheap battery type you can pick up at home depot. Key fob battery door opens easy too.

AFA tire rotation, I would keeping taking it back to Tesla. First it's free. Second, every time you bring the car in, even for simple tire rotation, they do a quick check and apply any TSBs as well as update you to the latest software. Can't get that at your local tire shop.

If tire rotation is free without the annual service plan, I would certainly do that. But otherwise, I may save the 120 km round trip, unless I have other issues. I suppose that could be an occasion for getting the titanium shield installed...

The SC has done a great job taking care of the few minor issues I've had (mirror retraction, pano roof creaking, voice recognition). But I'm interested to see how local shops will react to the Tesla. Our previous Lexus RX400hybrid was turned down by my local shop for a trailer hitch wiring installation, even though it had a plug interface ready to go on the harness. I guess maybe they thought it would have 400 V on it? Did it myself in an hour or two, it was so easy. ;=)

AFA tire rotation, I would keeping taking it back to Tesla. First it's free. Second, every time you bring the car in, even for simple tire rotation, they do a quick check and apply any TSBs as well as update you to the latest software. Can't get that at your local tire shop.

<snip> Amazing how the bill comes out to $600.00!? 2.91 hours labor: yeah, right! That is so transparent. Do you think their system tracks to 36 seconds? </snip>

This is likely an artifact of their billing system. As you surmise, they simply picked the number of hours that would equate to $600. Wonder what they'll do for me on Monday since I recently purchased the service plan (just came available in CT).

This doesn't have a service interval in any other car. It's only service as needed, and as needed is if the system is ever opened and exposed to air. Should effectively be a _lifetime_ system. Especially considering Tesla has a sealed compressor unlike almost every other car on the road that ends up slowly leaking refrigerant through it's seals.