Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Brake & Accelerator Pedal Positions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my data point in this discussion: I wear 11-1/2 medium.

1. I hit both pedals while aiming for the brakes, on a regular basis.

2. The spacing between pedals and proximity of the foot well wall is such that I often catch the edge of my shoe sole on the brake pedal when lifting off the accelerator.

So far it hasn't been a safety issue, just an annoyance.

I used to hit both pedals together quite frequently in the first few days, but I've learned to adjust and I haven't had that warning in a couple weeks now.

I liken it to the adjustment I had to make when I first drove a car without power brakes. You learn not to do the lazy-pivot with your right foot when you don't have power boost because you need to step into the pedal to get the car stopping, not just easing it with your toes.

The fact that everyone seems to have to modify their foot behavior to not press both pedals at the same time just shows that the pedal placement and spacing are not optimal. I have NEVER had this issue on my Roadster or Lexus.

Not everyone, just the handful reporting here. I've not experienced what you guys are talking about once...in fact I guess I'll need to go try to intentionally reproduce it b/c I don't understand what the actual issue/concern is. I find the position to be very natural, comfortable and intuitive, I wear size 11 shoes.

Not everyone, just the handful reporting here. I've not experienced what you guys are talking about once...in fact I guess I'll need to go try to intentionally reproduce it b/c I don't understand what the actual issue/concern is. I find the position to be very natural, comfortable and intuitive, I wear size 11 shoes.

Sorry, but this may have more to do with each driver's "klutz" factor than the car. I've test driven twice and nothing suggested that this was an issue.

Also you would have to look at any problems with a larger spacing. 2% missing the brake (or taking longer to reach it) with a larger spacing would be worse than even 50% occasionally hitting the accelerator along with the brake.

Sorry, but this may have more to do with each driver's "klutz" factor than the car. I've test driven twice and nothing suggested that this was an issue.

My first drive I hit both pedals. It was my personal "klutz" factor exactly as you describe it. I can tell you that hitting the brake pedal is not a frequent occurence, since I pedal drive all the time. Very few times I need to use the brake pedal. That is why I love driving my current EVERV (Chevy Volt). I hope that next year I can have as much fun with my Model S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. Not everyone. I've done it once by accident. I've also had my foot slip off of a pedal in my RAV4 once or twice. I wear 12-1/2 2E (New Balance 993GL if anybody wants to get me a Festivus gift... ;)) I haven't had it happen again, and I haven't had to make any adjustments to my driving style or practices.

Is this simply not maybe learning a new behavior (muscle memory) like when you move to any new car and not a major problem with pedal placement? I'm not doubting anyone that this is an issue for some people but I personally haven't run across it yet. Maybe the way I've been driving all this time just happens to align with their pedal position.

I think people underestimate muscle memory. If I drive my wife's car for even just a few days, the first day of driving my car feels weird for at least a few hours. Last Christmas, I had to drive my mom's MKX when I was visiting. After a week, it took me a good day or 2 to adjust back to my car when I returned.

Also, perhaps some people were hitting both even in their old cars too, but didn't have an alarm to let them know it was happening. I'm not saying this isn't real for some people, but this could account for some of the cases.

I won't know until I actually drive one, which might be in January, at the earliest.

Is this simply not maybe learning a new behavior (muscle memory) like when you move to any new car and not a major problem with pedal placement? I'm not doubting anyone that this is an issue for some people but I personally haven't run across it yet. Maybe the way I've been driving all this time just happens to align with their pedal position.

Very good point. I have seen people ride both peddles and never know it.

I was in my garage, in R with ONE foot on the brake.... when the warning sound came on and told me not to press brake and accelerator at the same time. I looked down at my shoe and it was 90% on the brake and 10% overlapping the accelerator. So I conclude that (a) Tesla is technically correct with this warning but (b) the brake and accelerator should not be in the same plane for exactly this reason.

Hopefully they will recess the accelerator a few mm more so single foot operation (granted I am a size 12 shoe) does not trigger both pedals so easily.

The fact that everyone seems to have to modify their foot behavior to not press both pedals at the same time just shows that the pedal placement and spacing are not optimal. I have NEVER had this issue on my Roadster or Lexus.
I don't. I have yet to have this problem surface in my first month with Model S.

"Fact...everyone" is incorrect.

With the spacing increased, it appears you'd have to modify your foot behavior even more so. (You'd be forced to.)

Your foot still needs to get away from the accelerator, either way.