Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S catches fire in France-8/2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's just so misleading. For gas cars, it's mostly the old clunkers that catch fire. The Tesla fleet, on the other hand, is probably no more than 3 years old on average.

This is the one incident in which the fire happened outside of an accident. All other incidents have been around some accident or other. If you use that criteria then gas cars are incendiary devices aka fire bombs.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just so misleading. For gas cars, it's mostly the old clunkers that catch fire.

Right, no new ICE cars catch fire:

Mercedes, a week off the dealer's lot, catches fire and explodes on I-205 (video)

BMW burst into flames while sitting in St-Leonard driveway

Honda City Catches Fire 10 Mins After Owner Left It. Thankfully, He Is Safe.

Brand new Honda City mysteriously catches fire minutes after owner parks it

Fire is a fact of life whether it be gas, batteries, an old cabin or a brand new home. The issue to me isn't the very low chance my ICE vehicle or Tesla will catch on fire, but the chance my family, and me, will walk away unharmed.

What do you think those odds are? Tesla vs. a brand new ICE? Oh right, no Tesla has burned up and killed anyone. Sorry to say we can't say the same for new ICE vehicles.

NFPA report - Vehicle fire trends and patterns

Right, no new ICE cars catch fire:

Mercedes, a week off the dealer's lot, catches fire and explodes on I-205 (video)

BMW burst into flames while sitting in St-Leonard driveway

Honda City Catches Fire 10 Mins After Owner Left It. Thankfully, He Is Safe.

Brand new Honda City mysteriously catches fire minutes after owner parks it

Fire is a fact of life whether it be gas, batteries, an old cabin or a brand new home. The issue to me isn't the very low chance my ICE vehicle or Tesla will catch on fire, but the chance my family, and me, will walk away unharmed.

What do you think those odds are? Tesla vs. a brand new ICE? Oh right, no Tesla has burned up and killed anyone. Sorry to say we can't say the same for new ICE vehicles.

NFPA report - Vehicle fire trends and patterns
The NFPA report you mention shows that the peak "catching fire" time for cars is at about 6 years old. They claim that the risk increases but the number of miles driven decreases faster after that. But there are certainly a large number of new car fires too.

The story, assuming the translation is accurate, seems to imply it was a manual build/repair "so that's ok then".

No it isn't. If these connections are not being torqued up to spec then it's a training or personnel issue, but that is no excuse for a catastrophic fire.

At some point in their lives many of our cars will have to have high power connections changed and I'd hate to think people aren't following procedure.

It's not ok, but it will happen. It's always happened, and it will continue to happen.

It's like a fault my boss recently experienced. She had just picked up the car (BMW X3) from the BMW dealership after some repairs and drove 30 minutes to work. As she was pulling into the parking lot at work, the driveshaft came lose and smashed the oil pan. So, no power, road covered in oil, no oil in the engine. At the dealership, they'd forgotten to tighten the screws...

If it had happened at 65 mph, a serious accident could have occured. And if she'd tried to start up the engine again, it probably would have seized, and the car would probably have been totaled. All because an employee at the BMW dealership didn't follow procedure.

Cars destined for Europe get built in Fremont, CA through a highly automated assembly line, then disassembled, shipped to Europe as parts, and then re-assembled in Tilburg, Netherlands through a less automated, more manual line. All because of bone-headed EU tariffs.

The problem experienced by this car in France could be endemic of a problem in this process, not how Tesla builds cars in Fremont.

Cars destined for Europe get built in Fremont, CA through a highly automated assembly line, then disassembled, shipped to Europe as parts, and then re-assembled in Tilburg, Netherlands through a less automated, more manual line. All because of bone-headed EU tariffs.

The problem experienced by this car in France could be endemic of a problem in this process, not how Tesla builds cars in Fremont.

Say whaaaaaaaat?!?!

The Tilburg factory does *RE*-assembly, not original assembly?

That's CRAZY!!

How do EU tariffs make this a sensible thing for a company to do?

Thanks,
Alan

This is why a lot of businesses wanted the Brexit, too many things tripping them up.

Even though the media said the UK economy would go down hill or collapse after the exit, it hasn't. Who would have thought that? Anyone who isn't as thick as a plank.

Not saying that disassembly and reassembly is good but don't mistake automation for high quality. If you've ever been to a very high capacity and high quality automotive plant like the Toyota plant in Kentucky, you'll see that most everything is done by people. Welding and painting (hazardous things) are done by robots but pretty much the rest of assembly is manual. Quality and repeatability is designed into the assembly process so there's no way people can align things incorrectly, forget to tighten things, put things on wrong, etc.

rzu00

I suppose they are just about as bone-headed as those US tariffs that require Mercedes to reassemble their Metris vans in the US: Why Is the 2017 Mercedes Metris Van Built In Germany and Reassembled in United States - Review - The Fast Lane Truck