Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S catches fire in France-8/2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hang on, where are we up to?

Stats for a fire in a Tesla S during a test drive on a Monday involving the French.

Ooo I'm calling Renault out on this one. Definitely a conspiracy. Or conspiration as they say in France.

I will just leave this screen shot of one earlier my posts here, as a Friday humor :)

Untitled.png

Well, to start off, the Model S definitely isn't the worst when it comes to fires. For instance, the Renault Kangoos with NiCad batteries have regularly been going up in flames for years. Probably something like 80% of the BEV fires here in Norway have been the Kangoos.

Now, when it comes to modern li-ion BEVs, the Model S ranks pretty high on the number of fires. There are three important reasons for this. One, the Model S is the second most sold BEV in the world. With more cars on the road, there will be more fires. Two, Tesla has placed the battery at the bottom of the car, for best utilization of the space, and a low center of gravity. The BMW i3 is the only other BEV with this today. With a more exposed pack, damage is more likely. Tree, Tesla uses the most energy dense batteries on the market, NCA. This is choice that's not without compromises - the batteries are more prone to fire than the chosen battery tech of the other car companies. (This has most significance in the event of damage to the battery pack.)

There's also some other smaller reasons why the Model S is more likely to catch fire. The Model S is the only BEV that can output 500 kW and charge at 130 kW. More power means more heat, more heat mens greater risk of fire. Tesla is also really trying to push the limits when it comes to compactness of the drivetrain. Less room means greater risk of fire.

Now, the Model S definitely isn't the only li-ion BEV that's caught fire. Here's an i-MiEV after it was hit by a train:

FullSizeRender.jpg
Not trying to nitpick, I just wanted to check. Was this actually a VW e-Up fire?
http://touch.moss-avis.no/nyheter/rade/jernbaneverket/christopher-lurte-doden-igjen/s/5-67-193647

Well, to start off, the Model S definitely isn't the worst when it comes to fires. For instance, the Renault Kangoos with NiCad batteries have regularly been going up in flames for years. Probably something like 80% of the BEV fires here in Norway have been the Kangoos.

Now, when it comes to modern li-ion BEVs, the Model S ranks pretty high on the number of fires. There are three important reasons for this. One, the Model S is the second most sold BEV in the world. With more cars on the road, there will be more fires. Two, Tesla has placed the battery at the bottom of the car, for best utilization of the space, and a low center of gravity. The BMW i3 is the only other BEV with this today. With a more exposed pack, damage is more likely. Tree, Tesla uses the most energy dense batteries on the market, NCA. This is choice that's not without compromises - the batteries are more prone to fire than the chosen battery tech of the other car companies. (This has most significance in the event of damage to the battery pack.)

There's also some other smaller reasons why the Model S is more likely to catch fire. The Model S is the only BEV that can output 500 kW and charge at 130 kW. More power means more heat, more heat mens greater risk of fire. Tesla is also really trying to push the limits when it comes to compactness of the drivetrain. Less room means greater risk of fire.

Now, the Model S definitely isn't the only li-ion BEV that's caught fire. Here's an i-MiEV after it was hit by a train:

FullSizeRender.jpg
The Leaf has the battery on the bottom also.

Bad electrical connection blamed for Tesla Model S fire in France

The article seems to blame on the danger of employing human workers' inconsistency in manual work as opposed to reliable repetitive robotic consistency:

“the fire was caused by a bolted electrical connection that had been improperly tightened.

Usually, these electrical connections are installed by a robot, but for this car this connection was installed manually."

The article seems to blame on the danger of employing human workers' inconsistency in manual work as opposed to reliable repetitive robotic consistency:

“the fire was caused by a bolted electrical connection that had been improperly tightened.

Usually, these electrical connections are installed by a robot, but for this car this connection was installed manually."
Probably something relating to the front DU.

I know Elon has said that the Model S doesn't really have a front firewall. Anyone know if this is different on the D's?

Probably something relating to the front DU.

I know Elon has said that the Model S doesn't really have a front firewall. Anyone know if this is different on the D's?

I would imagine there would be much more fire from 7,000 cell-battery-pack than from a Drive Unit.

If a Drive Unit is overheated, its insulation materials may burn but I am not sure there's enough rubber to create a big fire.

It's unlikely that a Drive Unit would start a fire because it's thermo-regulated so it would be shutdown when a certain high temperature is reached.

I believe the drive unit temperature sensors are at the rotor, stator and the inverter. A hotspot at a connection point wouldn't necessarily be detected very fast. Enough time could easily pass to allow for a fire to start.

I don't think the battery pack caught fire, given that there was no structural damage. The pack has quite good fire insulation.

I wonder if they will do an inspection on any other cars that were manually tightened vs machine tightened. (Assuming that car wasn't a one-off)