Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL S COMPUTER WONT BOOT-UPDATE PUSHED WITHOUT NOTIFICATION

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel this way because of the message I focused my camera in on , in my video “regenerative braking has been improved.” “I may experience slightly stronger braking.”
I interpreted this new message ,that is stuck in loop, as something was “updated “
Tesla stated a updated was attempted.
The instrument cluster is a separate computer. I wouldn’t trust the messages when the other system is misbehaving.

I found a recent quote as part if an MCU thread - MCU fails for the second time

And read through much of the thread - this as a long term concern of mine too - but ran out of time.

This happened to me about 2 months ago. It wasn't an update, and it happened after I picked my car up from the valet.

Only remedy was to take it to the service center. No manner of rebooting from the steering wheel would work. When I took it in, the tech said "wow, I've never seen that happen." Apparently I'm not the only one anymore!

Is your car out of warranty and were they able to recover the MCU from the issue. I am just trying to be prepared for what is to come.
I have accepted the fact- it is a failure regardless of the cause at this point.

All kidding aside.
Any one interested in a Loaded 2015 P85D Ludicrous. 0-60 2.8, 21" staggered wheel package, executive seating.
54k miles. Just needs a minor computer replacement.

So my MCU is not working. ok fine.
I want to just get it replaced at this point.

I have had some TPMS issues for a while.
I have not been able to reach a person from my service center for at least 3 months (model 3 delivery date).
This new issue is major therefore I made a service appointment online yesterday for next week.
First available Nov 15th. 150 miles away in Denver.
I have to have the car transported because, in addition to no heat, the windows do not operate in this disabled state.
not safe to even think about vail pass and the continental divide in a vehicle with out heat and other functions.

Today I tried calling to speak about when they can order the part or if they actually even know of my cars issues without it physically being there regardless of tech support troubleshooting yesterday.
I waited 45 min to reach tesla main support.
Nice person who listened......says he sent a message to Denver.
Tesla Main support cancelled my appointment because Denver wont have the part on my appointment date on the 15th.
I asked if they could help facilitate getting the part that Tesla tech support concluded was the issue. MCU
No is the answer.
My service center , that I cant reach will reach out to me I was told.

I hope I can speak to someone from my service center in a reasonable amount of time.

I think it is around $3,000. And be sure to demand that they return your broken MCU to you, since it is yours. You should be able to sell it to offset at least some of the replacement cost.

+1 if you do have to replace your MCU, I’m definitely interested in your old one... want to try and repair/see if I can have a spare ready for when mine inevitably fails ;-)

Have exactly the same issue on my S the MCU trying to boot. Tesla pre-diagnostics said from the log it seems stuck FW update. The car is now offline and can't even charge. It's well out of warranty so hope we agree on a goodwill or at least a win-win :)

Sadly I'm stuck in the same boat...13 MS P85+. Luckily im still under the CPO warranty, but i've been waiting for a replacement for over a week. The car can be driven, but only charges at 2amps...no heat, no ac. Stuck driving my 20 yr old chevy truck to work. Yay!!!

When they 'flash new firmware' it's just a temporary fix.

There are two partitions where the OS is flashed, and they are used alternately. The MCU runs on whichever is the active partition, and the next update goes on to the other partition, is checked, and then the car reboots to the formerly inactive partition. It's an old nVidia method.

The flash though wears out when written a given number of times, and Tesla's logging will inevitably wear it out in a few years. When this happens you get a blank screen because the Tegra processor can't boot.

The partition that's logged to is different than the OS partitions, and usually when they 'fix' this sort of problem they rewrite that partition, which sets aside the bad blocks, but the flash is still close to worn out.

When they 'flash new firmware' it's just a temporary fix.

There are two partitions where the OS is flashed, and they are used alternately. The MCU runs on whichever is the active partition, and the next update goes on to the other partition, is checked, and then the car reboots to the formerly inactive partition. It's an old nVidia method.

The flash though wears out when written a given number of times, and Tesla's logging will inevitably wear it out in a few years. When this happens you get a blank screen because the Tegra processor can't boot.

The partition that's logged to is different than the OS partitions, and usually when they 'fix' this sort of problem they rewrite that partition, which sets aside the bad blocks, but the flash is still close to worn out.

When that happened, can't they just replace the SD Card? Looks like there is a new 16GB card available.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.01.26 AM.png

When that happened, can't they just replace the SD Card? Looks like there is a new 16GB card available.

View attachment 405416
The SC diagnosed and informed me they'll replace the MCU at no cost! Available tomorrow, can pick the car on Friday (it's so overloaded here in Norway so they do such unscheduled repairs in overtime). Was a pleasant surprise :) It's not that memory that fails, it's the eMMC. Probably at diagnostics they can evaluate is it possible/worth forcing boot or it's just a temp fix and the problem will come again soon. It's absolutely great of Tesla the honesty here, my S is at 235k km, easy to say you pay.

zanary, only the oldest CIDs have an SD card onboard. Most have a BGA eMMC, and that's what wears out.

Sure they could replace the CID but then its firmware wouldn't match the gateway (on the MCU). They could deal with that, but Tesla've made the economic decision to just replace the whole MCU. No technicians fiddling with tiny screws and messing it up.