Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note, Leo Laporte, a tech radio host and podcaster owns a Mustang with Ford Sync. He says that if his kids are in the back and they hear the tone that the Sync is waiting for a voice command, they'll start yelling out contradictory commands to confuse it. :smile:

Yet another good reason to not have children. :biggrin:

On a related note, Leo Laporte, a tech radio host and podcaster owns a Mustang with Ford Sync. He says that if his kids are in the back and they hear the tone that the Sync is waiting for a voice command, they'll start yelling out contradictory commands to confuse it. :smile:

Yet another good reason to not have children. :biggrin:

Half the fun is in watching the little (b)rats do such naughty things :smile:

Btw, shouldn't Tesla partner with Google on this for a future iteration of the Model S or other models?
Google to make driverless cars in U.S.? - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

Sorry to interrupt. The dashboard is very important for me when choosing a car. And I think the dashboard in the first Model S prototypes was fantastic, but now, sorry, I do not like it!

I completely agree. For comparison, below is a photo of the prototype posted at the beginning of this thread by TEG, and a photo I took recently of the current incarnation on display in Newport Beach.

On the old prototype the touch screen appears more integrated and inset which would presumably help with usability in bright sun, and the instrument panel has a nice rounded sun shield, and the unifying connection from the touch screen to the arm rest was nice. The new model has the touch screen isolated, the shield above the instrument panel is flattened, and the arm rests are not visually connected with the front of the car.

I'm sure there are probably some practical reasons for these changes, but I think aesthetically they went in the wrong direction.

Old:
191650-slide1tesla_model_s_2009-cockpit-606by350pix_slide.jpg

New:
100_1006.JPG

I completely agree. For comparison, below is a photo of the prototype posted at the beginning of this thread by TEG, and a photo I took recently of the current incarnation on display in Newport Beach.

Welcome to the forum, SUN-day Driver. On your pic I couldn't see any controls mounted on the steering wheel. I seem to recall other members saying that the Model S would have some. Is there a row of physical buttons under the touchscreen? There were rumors of "touchscreen controls only (apart from controls on the wheel)" at one point, but I haven't heard anything officially from Tesla.

Thanks for your picture - while the old one does look more "integrated", the new look is at least acceptable to me - I've seen worse.

Welcome to the forum, SUN-day Driver. On your pic I couldn't see any controls mounted on the steering wheel. I seem to recall other members saying that the Model S would have some.

I played with a beta a few days back and can confirm there are some buttons on the steering wheel. I could control the music with them, but I seem to remember hearing they could be set up with other functions as well.

The steering wheel is not the final one. Also I used to like the old dash too, but I kind of like the new one as well. I realized what I didn't like about the new one was the vents. Then I looked at the old one and the vents are small and non-functional. So there would need to be larger uglier vents in the dash. There are few dashboard vents that I like. I also like the old school approach of a cockpit-less cabin. It feels more open. I liked the older cars with the front bench seat and you could ride close with someone you love. This is one step towards that possibility. Future option?

Welcome, SUN-day Driver! This, among other concerns, was discussed earlier in Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

Thanks, gg. That explains why I didn't see much discussion of it here. I have started reading that very interesting thread.

Welcome to the forum, SUN-day Driver. On your pic I couldn't see any controls mounted on the steering wheel. I seem to recall other members saying that the Model S would have some. Is there a row of physical buttons under the touchscreen? There were rumors of "touchscreen controls only (apart from controls on the wheel)" at one point, but I haven't heard anything officially from Tesla.

It's hard to see because my picture is so dark, but there are some buttons on the steering wheel. The touchscreen has an area at the bottom that may look like physical buttons in a picture, but they are actually all images on the screen. They've done a pretty good job making them look like the real thing.

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome. I'm a recent reservation holder (non-Sig) and have been lurking around here for a while.

On the old prototype the touch screen appears more integrated and inset which would presumably help with usability in bright sun, and the instrument panel has a nice rounded sun shield, and the unifying connection from the touch screen to the arm rest was nice. The new model has the touch screen isolated, the shield above the instrument panel is flattened, and the arm rests are not visually connected with the front of the car.

I'm sure there are probably some practical reasons for these changes, but I think aesthetically they went in the wrong direction.

Old:
View attachment 3823

New:
View attachment 3824

Yes, the "first " dashboard was fantastic, the beta dashboard is ugly. For me the dashboard is VERY important, too.
The beta dashboard and no 3 phase charging could mean, no Model S for me. But I'll wait for the Geneva motor show to decide.

Also a fan of the earlier dash.

I think when the massive screen has four sharp corners you have to make the decision to intergrate a sharper look to the rest of the dash to make it work. Sghrp corners look would look too out of place with a curvy dash.

When you "cut off", that is, round or in some way soften the corners of the computer screen then the rest of the dash can retain that more curvy form.

I liked the earlier more organic approach even if valuable screen real estate is lost to get there.

I liked the earlier more organic approach even if valuable screen real estate is lost to get there.

ditto. Plus you could always have full screen space and have the rounded corners come a bit below the edge of the screen (possibly even placing the hazard and trunk buttons there instead).

As I've said before, I'm down for a Model S (almost) no matter what. But the designs going forward will play a huge role in whether or not I decide to keep with the Tesla brand. So we'll see how this dash, and the Model X pan out.

ditto. Plus you could always have full screen space and have the rounded corners come a bit below the edge of the screen (possibly even placing the hazard and trunk buttons there instead).

As I've said before, I'm down for a Model S (almost) no matter what. But the designs going forward will play a huge role in whether or not I decide to keep with the Tesla brand. So we'll see how this dash, and the Model X pan out.

Tesla could easily put a thin rounded trim at the edge of the screen to give it a more sculpted look. As it is now the screen is a bit jarring/ disjointed from the flow of the dash (I've seen worse), but I'm more concerned with functionality and not having a touch screen that freezes/crashes/doesn't work (yeah I'm throwing shade at Fisker). Even in the beta stage every video of the touchscreen functioning is impressive.

Driver Distraction

Design News - Electronic News & Comment - Would Cellphone Ban Secure Car Safety?

Still, Bluetooth technology doesn't help drivers deal with center console displays, many of which have gotten maddeningly complex. Some use as many as 15 buttons and require drivers to step through a menu of four or five nested screens, all of which qualify as a major distraction. Cole predicts that the auto industry will ultimately settle the problem with the development of reconfigurable displays that can change to meet the individual driver's needs. Those who have difficulties with complex features will be able to simplify the display to minimize the distraction, he said.

Of course, that won't help clueless drivers who seem incapable of understanding when they're distracted. "This is a huge dilemma for the industry," Cole said. "You're dealing with human nature here. People want what they want. And sometimes they want more than they should have."

Alpha vs Beta: I personally think the cockpit-style alpha dash looked sexier, but I can see the merits of the beta as well. The absence of the between-the-seats center console is a plus for my wife (purse storage). I'd like to see the final version have fewer angles - the instrument cluster left and right edges (those Klingon angles :) ), and the corners of the main LCD could flow a little better. Hard corners will get old looking faster than curves, IMO. I'm still down for S#945 though, we'll see what final tweaks they make to the design.

Driver distraction: This one actually has me worried. I consider myself to be a reasonably good driver (who doesn't?), and when I first considered the Model S I tried to make note of what controls I touched in my current car ('08 Honda Odyssey Touring) while driving. I kept telling myself "this can't be a safe thing, it's going to be very distracting, I'll have to look away from the road to push a button." I took particular offense at having cover art with animated transitions on the instrument cluster.

I noted the following about the way _I_ drive:

- I definitely touch the radio volume and presets by feel. I seem to use the knob for volume more than the steering wheel controls.
- I use the wheel controls to answer the phone. I rarely make calls when driving, but always use the voice control for that when I do.
- I don't seem to ever touch the climate controls, except for the defrost button.
- I rarely touch the headlight control (the automatic mode seems to work), but when I do, I like having it right there when I need light immediately.
- I glance at the nav screen, which is usually in the "car direction is up" mode, not "north is up"

Not too bad, actually. Other than the radio preset I never touch anything.

I am making some assumptions about the Model S:

- The windshield wiper control will be on the steering column.
- The steering column buttons will let me adjust the volume (or mute), or answer the phone.

I wish the following were true, but may not be:

- I'd like a separate hard control for the headlights. This shouldn't be hard, since they are commonly on the turn signal switch in many cars, along with the brights.
- I don't know if there will be fog lights, but those controls ought to be operable without looking as well.
- I'd like a manual parking brake, probably a push on/off pedal on the left side.

I view the touch screen as one of the riskiest parts of the design, there's going to be LOTS of software there. It has some direct control over many key safety-related features, like sunroof, headlights, trunk/frunk latches, locks, etc. At a minimum, if the touch screen freezes or crashes, I should still be able to turn on the headlights and keep the doors/trunks locked.

/Mitch.

- I use the wheel controls to answer the phone. I rarely make calls when driving, but always use the voice control for that when I do.

This can still be poorly designed. I find myself looking down at the steering wheel to find the buttons on my G37. The voice command and phone buttons are flush so you can't feel them, and low down on the steering wheel so they are hard to find.

- I don't seem to ever touch the climate controls, except for the defrost button.

In the winter I find myself setting one mode when I start up (gentle breeze on the windshield to keep breath from fogging it -- too much cold air and it will flash freeze), and having to switch to another mode (warm air split between windshield and feet) once the car warms. It would be nice to have "preset" buttons to get directly to your favorite modes. In my G37 I have to hit the Auto button followed by the Mode button four times in order to get the warm air split mode I need.

- I rarely touch the headlight control (the automatic mode seems to work), but when I do, I like having it right there when I need light immediately.
- I glance at the nav screen, which is usually in the "car direction is up" mode, not "north is up"

Ditto.

- I'd like a manual parking brake, probably a push on/off pedal on the left side.

An engineer at the factory tour told me the parking brakes are fully automatic. When you put the car in Park they engage.

I view the touch screen as one of the riskiest parts of the design, there's going to be LOTS of software there. It has some direct control over many key safety-related features, like sunroof, headlights, trunk/frunk latches, locks, etc. At a minimum, if the touch screen freezes or crashes, I should still be able to turn on the headlights and keep the doors/trunks locked.
/Mitch.

Having a very cold winter climate here, I would consider the climate controls to an extremely important safety-related feature. If you can't keep the windshield clear it is not safe to drive the car.

This can still be poorly designed. I find myself looking down at the steering wheel to find the buttons on my G37. The voice command and phone buttons are flush so you can't feel them, and low down on the steering wheel so they are hard to find.

Absolutely -- this is one of the reasons I never use the radio controls on the wheels on my Ody (they are flush). The phone/voice buttons are big thumb buttons, or buttons that are kind of "behind" the wheel (you can reach them by extending your fingers while your hands are wrapped around the wheel. I like that, it works for me.

In the winter I find myself setting one mode when I start up (gentle breeze on the windshield to keep breath from fogging it -- too much cold air and it will flash freeze), and having to switch to another mode (warm air split between windshield and feet) once the car warms. It would be nice to have "preset" buttons to get directly to your favorite modes. In my G37 I have to hit the Auto button followed by the Mode button four times in order to get the warm air split mode I need.

You'd think that it would be possible to know when the defrost mode would be needed, run it until the windshield is clear, then go back to cabin comfort. The computer could monitor inside and outside temperature, it is probably already doing this to maintain the battery.

An engineer at the factory tour told me the parking brakes are fully automatic. When you put the car in Park they engage.

Interesting. Something I'll need to get used to, especially parking on hills in San Francisco :).

Having a very cold winter climate here, I would consider the climate controls to an extremely important safety-related feature. If you can't keep the windshield clear it is not safe to drive the car.

You bet, I totally forgot about that! I got spoiled fast when I moved out here from Massachusetts :).

/Mitch.

I wish the following were true, but may not be:

- I'd like a separate hard control for the headlights. This shouldn't be hard, since they are commonly on the turn signal switch in many cars, along with the brights.

This will almost certainly be a stalk on the steering column or button on the steering wheel. Imagine turning your brights on and off as cars go by and having to navigate the touchscreen--impossible!

- I don't know if there will be fog lights, but those controls ought to be operable without looking as well.

We know the tech package includes LED foglights...there will probably be regular foglights without the tech package. Not sure about the controls for them though.

Question: With regen as a "backup" braking system, is an e-brake needed on the Model S? Is it required by federal law?