Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enthusiasm for Tesla is always at an all time low right before you get your car. Ask those with late sigs like AnOutsider...

Looks like you beat me.

I called again today. Despite being promised that my car would be on a truck no later than this afternoon, it's still not going anywhere. It's been sitting there, complete and waiting for a truck for almost a week now. Received more incorrect information from Tesla. I'm tired of calling. My delivery window ends in 2 days.

Part of the problem is that the Inside Delivery team is in Deer Creek. The factory, last I checked, is in Fremont. Therefore, the ID team doesn't have visibility on cars. Crazy.

I am really upset with Tesla. Delivering cars in the P6000-P8000 range is just a complete shot in the face--Tesla has shown that they don't give a squat about reservation numbers. California deliveries have preference, regardless of reservation date? That's BS. It's like watching people cut you in line when you've been standing there a year longer. Completely disrespectful. I don't care about quarterly numbers or the current price of stock. That stuff's just temporary. To treat your customers this way is just terrible.

I used to be a huge Tesla cheerleader. Almost all of that enthusiasm is gone. It's hard to believe that they've so completely botched this delivery stuff. They certainly had plenty of time to prepare.

Sorry to be bitching, but this is just so damn frustrating. :cursing:

I'm sure it will (mostly) disappear when the car comes, but Tesla is *definitely* getting off on the wrong foot with me.

What's this about a tax break about to expire? I thought the $2500 was well funded through June 2013?

If accurate, the tax break is a different type for Tesla Inc. and not the $7500 tax credit we are eligible for upon purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel especially bad for the 60kWh people who had every reason to believe that the mid-size battery car would commence delivery in November. I understand that there were reasons for the change, but integrity should matter! The lack of an explanation is disappointing in the extreme.
As shokunin pointed out, it is all about perspective. At this point, I would prefer my delivery to be in early March. However, most likely it will be late January.

i believe they will start to integrate the numbers and not selectively make 60 or 85. i am saying this as my delivery date was feb/mar when i had a 60 and then upgraded to performance and they said it's still the same (as i missed the cut off for the jump ahead of 85s)

Talked to a rep today that said they were trying to push out lots of the CA cars because they have a tax break that is about to expire. Even with that info I was told my car, VIN 3062, would be delivered to NC 'very, very near the 31st'.

This bothered me, so I did a bit of digging. I had not heard that the $2,500 dollar rebate was going away. According to this: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-blog/3227-cvrp-funding-for-fy-2012-2013-announced the tax rebase is extended to 2013. Does anybody in California have any thoughts on this? Any more information? I sure hope Tesla is not operating on the premise mentioned above by adurstewitz, if it's incorrect (selfishly speaking.. I would like them to move on to other states if that's the case). :)
(by the way mods, feel free to move this to a new thread if it goes too far off topic)

This bothered me, so I did a bit of digging. I had not heard that the $2,500 dollar rebate was going away. According to this: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-blog/3227-cvrp-funding-for-fy-2012-2013-announced the tax rebase is extended to 2013. Does anybody in California have any thoughts on this? Any more information? I sure hope Tesla is not operating on the premise mentioned above by adurstewitz, if it's incorrect (selfishly speaking.. I would like them to move on to other states if that's the case). :)
(by the way mods, feel free to move this to a new thread if it goes too far off topic)

Being a resident of California, what I do know is that the sales tax rate is going up on January 1st, which a Calif. resident would incur for a car purchased in 2013. December 31st effectively is the last day to get this "tax break". That may be what @adurstewitz was referring to, though as high as California sales taxes are, I wouldn't consider that a break.:wink:

Last edited:
Being a resident of California, what I do know is that the sales tax rate is going up on January 1st, which a Calif. resident would incur for a car purchased in 2013. December 31st effectively is the last day to get this "tax break". That may be what @adurstewitz was referring to, though as high as California sales taxes are, I wouldn't consider that a break.:wink:

Verbatim from the email -

"We have a massive CA push this week to ensure that we meet some rebate deadlines."

This bothered me, so I did a bit of digging. I had not heard that the $2,500 dollar rebate was going away. According to this: http://energycenter.org/index.php/i.../3227-cvrp-funding-for-fy-2012-2013-announced the tax rebase is extended to 2013. Does anybody in California have any thoughts on this? Any more information? I sure hope Tesla is not operating on the premise mentioned above by adurstewitz, if it's incorrect (selfishly speaking.. I would like them to move on to other states if that's the case). :)

IMO I think Tesla wants to make their goal of 2500-3000 cars and the only way they can book a sale is when the owner takes possession and that means West Coast buyers. As of now it will take too long to ship a car from the WC and make it in time for year end. Just my opinion.

This bothered me, so I did a bit of digging. I had not heard that the $2,500 dollar rebate was going away. According to this: http://energycenter.org/index.php/i.../3227-cvrp-funding-for-fy-2012-2013-announced the tax rebase is extended to 2013. Does anybody in California have any thoughts on this? Any more information? I sure hope Tesla is not operating on the premise mentioned above by adurstewitz, if it's incorrect (selfishly speaking.. I would like them to move on to other states if that's the case). :)

There is no deadline, but there is a fixed amount of money available for rebates in 2012-2013. According to their website (Rebate Funding Status), there is currently $7.9M in funds remaining. I don't think there is a chance of them running out of funds by December, but I doubt that it will last much past March/April at the current rebate issuance rates (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project Statistics).

IMO I think Tesla wants to make their goal of 2500-3000 cars and the only way they can book a sale is when the owner takes possession and that means West Coast buyers. As of now it will take too long to ship a car from the WC and make it in time for year end. Just my opinion.
They're making at least some of us pay before putting it on a truck to make "delivery" at the time it goes on the truck. So long as Tesla has trucks to put cars on, the buyer's location wouldn't matter (in terms of units sold this year).

The sales tax is going up by 0.25%, which comes to $250 on a $100,000 purchase.

The sales tax is going up by 0.25%, which comes to $250 on a $100,000 purchase.

If true, this makes me even more frustrated. I understand trying to save money, but then it should be geared towards those that'll save the most. This car is going to be a business car for me and the bonus depreciation I'll receive for 2012 is more than $250. No bonus depreciation for 2013. In fact, I upgraded with the air suspension (really doesn't make too much of a difference for me regarding comfort given what I'm currently driving) to make sure I'll get 2012 car. Heck, they called me several times saying that they can get the car to me in 2012 when I initially finalized the order. I even asked several times, "you sure I'll be able to get it?" I knew that there was a possibility that I won't be getting it for 2012, but not because they are going to let CA residents in the P8000-9000s get their car while the rest of us sit and lose potential money! Ya, it kind of leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

They're making at least some of us pay before putting it on a truck to make "delivery" at the time it goes on the truck. So long as Tesla has trucks to put cars on, the buyer's location wouldn't matter (in terms of units sold this year).

They want your money before they ship - but they can't book the sale from an accounting perspective until the owner takes possession.

That's not what's being claimed as far as I know. The claim is the sale is done, for tax purposes, in 2012 if it hits the truck in 2012.

Yes, that's what I'm hearing from multiple Tesla sources as well.

P1577 departed Fremont on a Truck today around 4:45pm, or so I'm told. Haven't received any official correspondence from them that the car's on a truck other than being told when I called this afternoon. I'm hoping my truck driver has one of those tracking systems so I can follow him as he crosses the country.

I was told tonight that my Sequoia Green baby is completed and ready to ship, and we are just waiting on the final MVPA being generated, completed and the funds transferred before it can be delivered. Of course I have been ready and waiting to do all of this since I received my VIN on Monday, so I am losing my mind with impatience! Electricians finished installing my garage subpanel and NEMA 14-50 today, so the nest is ready and waiting...

P4821 has vin 2757. No delivery date yet, just signed the papers. Picking up at the factory. Gray, black leather, tech, sound,19 inch

Just read this over the TM forum -

"rd2 | DECEMBER 20, 2012 - P4157 and just scheduled delivery for 12-29 at the factory! VIN 2725. Hard to believe it is almost here."

Hard to believe that his car is about done and yours isn't. Did they tell you what point your car is currently sitting at?

If true, this makes me even more frustrated. I understand trying to save money, but then it should be geared towards those that'll save the most. This car is going to be a business car for me and the bonus depreciation I'll receive for 2012 is more than $250. No bonus depreciation for 2013. In fact, I upgraded with the air suspension (really doesn't make too much of a difference for me regarding comfort given what I'm currently driving) to make sure I'll get 2012 car. Heck, they called me several times saying that they can get the car to me in 2012 when I initially finalized the order. I even asked several times, "you sure I'll be able to get it?" I knew that there was a possibility that I won't be getting it for 2012, but not because they are going to let CA residents in the P8000-9000s get their car while the rest of us sit and lose potential money! Ya, it kind of leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Seriously, Tesla is not prioritizing cars so that CA residents can save $250 before the 0.25% increase in sales tax. Unless you're a sig, even when you finalized your order, no one could say absolute or guarantee that you would get your car in 2012. Production ramp up took longer than expected. Just looking at the delivery spreadsheet, I don't think we can categorically state that California deliveries have been "prioritized".