Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how much large companies care for their employees--similar to ants at a picnic--there's not much reason for them to put forth extra effort, unless that's just their nature to do so. Also a lot of truck drivers are just contractors and are paid so much a mile to haul cargo. They aren't paid to be a DS substitute. I wouldn't expect them to call until just before delivery and perhaps a day in advance so that they can drop off the car in the least amount of time and get on to the next delivery.
Jerry: I have a huge respect for your wisdom over many posts, but I gotta believe that some trucking companies either 1) can geotrack their trucks or 2) would hire the service-oriented drivers necessary to deliver 20,000 large heavy costly-to-ship items per year. . . . but maybe I'm a dreamer.

Jerry: I have a huge respect for your wisdom over many posts, but I gotta believe that some trucking companies either 1) can geotrack their trucks or 2) would hire the service-oriented drivers necessary to deliver 20,000 large heavy costly-to-ship items per year. . . . but maybe I'm a dreamer.

I assume the cars are not in sleep mode when they are being shipped which means the computers are on which should mean that Tesla can see where the cars are (the car communicates with Tesla). This if course doesn't give them a real idea of the delivery time but they should be able to see where the car is and if is just sitting in a parking lot somewhere.

BTW: I know the Signature series came with a year of cell data service included. What happened to all the non-sig cars that were delivered? It sounds like they all have active data connections.

Last edited:
My cousin is P10003 and reserved at very end of August. He is getting a Perf 85kWh and was originally given a delivery estimate of May, but since he's not waiting for 2013 red and isn't a 40kWh or 60kWh that doesn't go into production until March, he's just finalized his order (to lock in before the price increase) and is being told February or March for his new delivery window. So hopefully some of you will be in the same boat and can move up in the line in a similar fashion!

My car was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I got a call from my DS just now and he said it won't be here tomorrow. My car, for some reason, is sitting at a logistics hub in New Jersey.

My delivery window was Dec. 7-21 (after the original "November" date). It looks like Tesla will miss the back end of that window by at least 9 or 10 days.

Also, my DS mentioned that HQ was going to take care of titling, registration, and license plates. I said "wait, hold the phone, I'm getting vanity plates." I can't believe they don't ask about this--it seems like half of the Model S owners or more have vanity plates. Since I'm getting vanity plates, I had to call Tesla ownership and tell them. Turns out that because of that I will have to go to the DMV myself and do all the titling/registration. (I don't blame Tesla for this, as it probably has to do with how logistics or laws work out).

My delivery experience continues to sour as I watch people who have been standing in line 1.5 years less than me driving around in their Model S.

My car was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I got a call from my DS just now and he said it won't be here tomorrow. My car, for some reason, is sitting at a logistics hub in New Jersey.

My delivery window was Dec. 7-21 (after the original "November" date). It looks like Tesla will miss the back end of that window by at least 9 or 10 days.

Also, my DS mentioned that HQ was going to take care of titling, registration, and license plates. I said "wait, hold the phone, I'm getting vanity plates." I can't believe they don't ask about this--it seems like half of the Model S owners or more have vanity plates. Since I'm getting vanity plates, I had to call Tesla ownership and tell them. Turns out that because of that I will have to go to the DMV myself and do all the titling/registration. (I don't blame Tesla for this, as it probably has to do with how logistics or laws work out).

My delivery experience continues to sour as I watch people who have been standing in line 1.5 years less than me driving around in their Model S.

I'm having something of a similar issue with a delivery hub. I was under the strong impression that the truck would leave the factory and would, at some point, drop the car off to me at my selected delivery location. So when they told me the car left Fremont yesterday (a 9 hour drive away) so I assumed I should see the car sometime this weekend. Then, today, I get an email containing the link to the video walk-through. At the bottom of that email it says my car should be deliverd sometime between 1/4 and 1/8. I replied to the email asking for clarification and asking why it would take so long. The reply I got indicated that the car would go to a NW delivery hub first. Now I'm really confused. I've asked a couple of folks for more clarity and will report back when I know more.

*update* I'm being told that Tesla has recently begun sending cars to regional delivery hubs in order to better facilitate deliveries. My assumption is that it will help Tesla when they only have one or two cars going to a specific region/town. They could collect cars and wait for a full car carrier.

Either way, it seems as though my excitement about getting my car this weekend was premature.

Last edited:
My car, apparently with several other Portland, OR cars is in Portland having arrived yesterday. I'm told by the trucking company no delivery to me though until Monday because the cars have to be detailed first and there's backlog at the detailer.

So, the glass half full is Monday seems fairly likely.

My car, apparently with several other Portland, OR cars is in Portland having arrived yesterday. I'm told by the trucking company no delivery to me though until Monday because the cars have to be detailed first and there's backlog at the detailer.

I wonder if Portland is the PNW hub? It would make sense in a way.

I'm having something of a similar issue with a delivery hub. I was under the strong impression that the truck would leave the factory and would, at some point, drop the car off to me at my selected delivery location. So when they told me the car left Fremont yesterday (a 9 hour drive away) so I assumed I should see the car sometime this weekend. Then, today, I get an email containing the link to the video walk-through. At the bottom of that email it says my car should be deliverd sometime between 1/4 and 1/8. I replied to the email asking for clarification and asking why it would take so long. The reply I got indicated that the car would go to a NW delivery hub first. Now I'm really confused. I've asked a couple of folks for more clarity and will report back when I know more.

*update* I'm being told that Tesla has recently begun sending cars to regional delivery hubs in order to better facilitate deliveries. My assumption is that it will help Tesla when they only have one or two cars going to a specific region/town. They could collect cars and wait for a full car carrier.

Either way, it seems as though my excitement about getting my car this weekend was premature.

Same Story I just got today. Car went from CA to NJ, past my house in MN to wait for delivery back to MN.

I just got the same story, my car left Fremont on Dec 22, the driver spent the holidays in the SE, and my car is heading to NJ now, where it will arrive on Monday. I assume it will get back to me in Pittsburgh sometime next week. My DS apologized for not being able to pinpoint the location of my car, but told me the name of the shipping company. In three phone calls I was able to get the dispatcher of my truck, who pinpointed my location exactly. While it isn't good news, I am certainly glad to be informed, as now I won't be on pins and needles like I have been the past few days.

but I gotta believe that some trucking companies either 1) can geotrack their trucks

Many, perhaps most, trucking companies do that for a variety of reasons. Whether you can be privy to that information depends on the trucking company and their policies. It's possible for high value items that a too open policy can put the driver and his cargo at risk from thieves.

2) would hire the service-oriented drivers necessary to deliver 20,000 large heavy costly-to-ship items per year. . . . but maybe I'm a dreamer.

I've had a lot of "stuff" delivered by truck, some of it expensive--at least BMW 5-series expensive, on various occasions and all I ever got was a call from the dispatch office telling me that the truck would arrive the next day (once in a while it was two days, but usually one), then a second call in the morning of the delivery to make sure I'd be there, and finally a call from the driver saying he was just about to arrive. I wouldn't expect the Model S delivery to be any different.

I'd suggest that the dispatch office, rather than the truck driver, is the correct point of contact. Truck driving is actually fairly hard work, and rest stops should be rest stops for the driver, not a different kind of work. If the truck has six Model S on it (I think that's the number), and he calls each destination once a day, it will take probably ten minutes per call. That's an hour extra a day--quite a lot.

Also, my DS mentioned that HQ was going to take care of titling, registration, and license plates. I said "wait, hold the phone, I'm getting vanity plates." I can't believe they don't ask about this--it seems like half of the Model S owners or more have vanity plates.

I always thought that you got regular plates and then applied for vanity plates later. ('course I'm way too cheap to get vanity plates, but Denise got some and I've been paying for them ever since :)

*Update* I've been told my car is at the hub and has been released for delivery. This means that they should deliver ASAP. Perhaps in the next few days. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and major props to Garrett for putting up with my whining. He's one cool cucumber.

We appear to be in the same boat, the corporate DS has had no luck tracking the car but our store called today to say that they can tell by GPS that the car is at the Portland Distribution center. So we're at the mercy of the trucking company and have requested Monday delivery.

Thank you, thank you Garrett for tracing my car to transit hub south of Metro Phoenix.

I called the Scottsdale store to ask for help and was put in touch with a DS who is arranging end of year deliveries. Chris arranged for a delivery at 10am tomorrow (Saturday) and set a time that evening to handle an orientation to the vehicle, registration, and other paperwork.

I have some growing confidence that our 39 month wait is nearly over, but will sleep with my fingers crossed . . . if I can sleep.

I'm expecting my finalize email soon (12,848) and will be soon the 85kwh.

I've been told by the reps at the Tesla store that if I choose air suspension I could jump the line since many 40/60 kwh reservations are without air as an option.

Can anybody provide some empirical data to back this up. I may elect to go for 85kwh with air if it means I will get my car sooner than later given non air cars don't start production until March. Comes down to how many people before me are not getting air.

Thoughts?