Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Hold Week of July 19 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What, exactly, do you 'disagree' with here, @doubleshot ?
I disagree with you thinking Tesla should somehow communicate to you that your car is fine. It is. They haven't communicated to you that it isn't have they? That'd be the only time they'd communicate about the status of the car.

You're getting yourself all worked up about some speculation about what will amount to likely just Telsa antics that we'll never know the real reason. OMG I can't leave my car, it might catch on fire in my garage. You weren't worried about your old ICE car doing that were you?

I'm going to assume i'm not in the twilight zone and Tesla wouldn't tell folks to come back and not say why? So, has anyone received a notice to take their car back?

I took delivery on 6/29 and have not any "recall" notice.

To those on hold - when the vehicle is cleared for delivery and they give you zero reason for the hold but tell you it is safe - are you going to trust them and take delivery? I would.

I disagree with you thinking Tesla should somehow communicate to you that your car is fine. It is. They haven't communicated to you that it isn't have they? That'd be the only time they'd communicate about the status of the car.

You're getting yourself all worked up about some speculation about what will amount to likely just Telsa antics that we'll never know the real reason. OMG I can't leave my car, it might catch on fire in my garage. You weren't worried about your old ICE car doing that were you?
I didn’t realize you were an expert on BMS and the new architecture.

Here’s some fun info: my pack has a bad cell “brick” (group of cells) that won’t stay balanced, and goes WAY WAY WAY out of balance under even minor acceleration. brick number 86 (of 110) almost certainly has a problem. I have CAN bus logs and can show this abnormal behavior.

We have also seen an instance where a brand new pack was replaced. Know what kind of problem leads to the charge limit he saw and generally require a replacement? Unbalanced voltages in battery packs.

Know what else unbalanced packs can do? Catch fire.

But your words have convinced me these facts are irrelevant and my car is fine. Thanks.

I didn’t realize you were an expert on BMS and the new architecture.

Here’s some fun info: my pack has a bad cell “brick” (group of cells) that won’t stay balanced, and goes WAY WAY WAY out of balance under even minor acceleration. brick number 86 (of 110) almost certainly has a problem. I have CAN bus logs and can show this abnormal behavior.

We have also seen an instance where a brand new pack was replaced. Know what kind of problem leads to the charge limit he saw and generally require a replacement? Unbalanced voltages in battery packs.

Know what else unbalanced packs can do? Catch fire.

But your words have convinced me these facts are irrelevant and my car is fine. Thanks.
FWIW, the little I know about lipo charging, balance leads, etc. is that if designed properly (and I’d wager Tesla has) I’d imagine it can “charge around” a bad block. Drones are extremely simple compared to these bad boys, but that has balance charging and you can see what’s going on, to a much smaller scale.

FWIW, the little I know about lipo charging, balance leads, etc. is that if designed properly (and I’d wager Tesla has) I’d imagine it can “charge around” a bad block. Drones are extremely simple compared to these bad boys, but that has balance charging and you can see what’s going on, to a much smaller scale.
They can path around it during charging with the FETs/etc (over my head) but the worrying issue is the wild swings in balance for just this particular brick when larger amounts of current draw happen (such as during acceleration). If these cells are acting as large resistors at the wrong time, it can be a problem.

E

Wait. Yours is sitting at Alpharetta DC? Have you gone by to visit yet? I'd be down there in a heartbeat. Maybe I'll take a trip by tomorrow to see it for you :)
I called them to ask if the car was inside or in the lot … she wouldn’t tell me , and said they have an additional private lot that is not accessible to the public….. not sure I buy it…. Was going to head down there!

They can path around it during charging with the FETs/etc (over my head) but the worrying issue is the wild swings in balance for just this particular brick when larger amounts of current draw happen (such as during acceleration). If these cells are acting as large resistors at the wrong time, it can be a problem.
Are there wild swings in the balance as it’s sitting in your garage?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Are there wild swings in the balance as it’s sitting in your garage?
No, but the troublesome brick drifts more out of balance when left idle. The car was away getting ppf and tint and I haven’t yet charged it in the garage at all, so far.

My car has almost exclusively been supercharged so far, mostly when I drove it 2k miles from IL to CA.

I think I get where you’re going here: it’s fine to leave in your garage. If that’s your point then sure, it is probably fine.

But it sure would be cool to know why Tesla isn’t giving these to customers right now, even when the vehicles are sitting at service centers in (presumably) the same condition as when I took delivery of mine.

How do you know this? Not doubting you, curious...
The Facebook groups, Tesla Model S Plaid & Long Range and there is one called Tesla Plaid Onwers. He posted photos of his delivery experience and detailed it. He posted earlier this week saying he had a delivery appointment. I told him they'd probably cancel and they ended up not canceling it.

No, but the troublesome brick drifts more out of balance when left idle. The car was away getting ppf and tint and I haven’t yet charged it in the garage at all, so far.

My car has almost exclusively been supercharged so far, mostly when I drove it 2k miles from IL to CA.

I think I get where you’re going here: it’s fine to leave in your garage. If that’s your point then sure, it is probably fine.

But it sure would be cool to know why Tesla isn’t giving these to customers right now, even when the vehicles are sitting at service centers in (presumably) the same condition as when I took delivery of mine.
Why do think nothing on the production line may have changed since yours rolled out?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I’ll peace out of this thread, because I’m obviously wrong here. Parting thoughts:

Battery packs in two refresh S have been replaced, that we know of. That’s pretty damned strange.

There was some discussion on the last earnings call about delays for additional safety testing of the new pack architecture.

The refresh cars were very obviously rushed in various ways, just ask anyone who has experienced the unfinished UI.

My own car has some slightly concerning stats.

Tesla has decided not to deliver cars until something is fixed. We don’t know what that thing is.

Even disregarding the Plaid fire, the above things are pretty concerning.

And to reup on this: my car is for sale. DM for an immediately available Plaid!