Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Hold Week of July 19 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone thought of getting a group of people to threaten cancellation of their orders unless specifics are given regarding the issue that is holding everything up?
100+ order cancellations might be enough to get Tesla's attention.
Previously I had been thinking of ordering a new LR next spring. This whole cluster of firetrucks has me thinking mid-2023 before ordering a new S, if ever.
that's probably about $10MM.
I'd say a rounding error to Tesla - they may spend that in carpet mats. or 1 day of ElonBucks (earnings)
and they produce I believe (unless I'm mistaken) between several hundred Mosel S Plaids per week up to 1,000 per week (per Musk quote) - let's remove the word plaid, and they were aiming to produce over 2,000 S/X per week - with no X's at the moment, at least that I'm aware of.
Meanwhile, I'd say there is a pretty large waiting list for the car - domestic and abroad.
I see the Tesla monkey laughing at the boycott, eating a banana, and then if not shipping those 100 cars to the states, then going abroad.
Or being relieved there are 100 less to fill during chip shortages, logistic issues, etc.
It's frankly a matter of us wanting the car more than Tesla cares about selling to us. At least in my opinion. I agree strength in numbers,

Reactions: cwanja and Zaker89
I was among the folks saying the fire was an outlier or likely had some external circumstance, but given the zero communication Tesla has done regarding this hold, I'm not super stoked on leaving the car parked in my garage while I'm away for 9 days. Ugh.

I understand that you don't want a public overreaction to things if it is an outlier, but at the same time I'd prefer they say _why_ there is a hold so that rampant speculation can end and I don't feel anxious about having the car nearby.

I was among the folks saying the fire was an outlier or likely had some external circumstance, but given the zero communication Tesla has done regarding this hold, I'm not super stoked on leaving the car parked in my garage while I'm away for 9 days. Ugh.

I understand that you don't want a public overreaction to things if it is an outlier, but at the same time I'd prefer they say _why_ there is a hold so that rampant speculation can end and I don't feel anxious about having the car nearby.
until today I was adamantly convinced the "software hold" was due to using multiple suppliers for chips, so firmware had to be rewritten (pure speculation, but makes sense to me) - but now after reading this thread, and wearing my tin foil hat (conspiracy theories, etc.) I am starting to think if it was just some software, Musk would have tweeted "just some tweaks for new chip suppliers, hold to be lifted in a few days" - but radio silence tells me, "oh crap, could really be the battery pack or something bad" -
i'd like to know if ANY new MS are being released versus just from a certain batch
if it IS the battery, is it new production, or might we be seeing a recall shortly (and if a recall, voluntary repairs, or mandatory?) - i have no idea. the complete radio silence is a bit foreboding, and I am now starting to jump to (more) conclusions, in a bad way.
stop a batch from delivery? okay, problem with batch. defects? or missing pieces?
stop them all? what's going on.
i STILL think the dusty 450 are 19" related.
the new cars being blocked right before delivery? dunno.
i wouldn't even check for a vin or date now until we hear somebody has taken a new delivery.
the former litigator in me is wondering if Tesla is NOT delivering any new models in case they think something is up - but then wouldn't they be smart to issue statements, concerns, etc. to those who already have cars in possession?
unless the issues or concerns don't directly involve MS produced before <insert date here>
we KNOW Tesla will release cars with software that is not 100% perfect (ANC, rear screen, those games, etc.) - that's fine - as long as we have core functionality (for now, I would want what was advertised, ANC, etc. but can get away with waiting for a bit) - but why would Tesla NOT release the car?
1) Battery issue - safety, range, durability, etc. - if the batteries die after a year for example, they can call back those released cars in 8 months and swap packs. but maybe avoid having that happen with those not driven hard yet (just speculating) - and if something big like the pack, I presume can be done at the SC level
2) buggy software - OTA may be able to take care of it, and maybe cars were shipped with that intention, but if it is a hardware issue as well - then maybe
2a) new chips, and incompatible boards - maybe T thought they could code around it, can't, and have to produce new boards or workarounds for replacement chips
3) other hardware issues - i THINK the motors are proven. but what if they're not? or the cooling, etc. - maybe it's stuff they can and should fix now for the new cars, versus a recall later for them
anyway, it appears this hold is a lot worse than I at least originally thought. Tesla is more of a software compay on wheels than anything else - if they're halting all deliveries, then what's going on here?

I'll boil it down to these two possibilities:

1) It is a hardware or software glitch unrelated to the fire, and their lack of communication is bad because it leads to speculation about it being related to the fire.

2) It is a hardware or software glitch related to the fire, and their lack of communication is inexcusable because people have these cars in their possession and Tesla doesn't know whether it is safe to drive/charge/operate them.

Both have a solution: communicate. Do better at this Tesla. CEO tweets are not the way to handle disseminating information and support.

My Plaid delivered 5/20 is working fine, no glitches of any kind. Wouldn’t you think they would all have the same problem? If there was a problem other than 19 inch wheels not being govt certified yet.
It could just be some regulatory issue, like the EPA efficiency ratings, something on the window sticker that needs correction, or something completely bureaucratic.

until today I was adamantly convinced the "software hold" was due to using multiple suppliers for chips, so firmware had to be rewritten (pure speculation, but makes sense to me) - but now after reading this thread, and wearing my tin foil hat (conspiracy theories, etc.) I am starting to think if it was just some software, Musk would have tweeted "just some tweaks for new chip suppliers, hold to be lifted in a few days" - but radio silence tells me, "oh crap, could really be the battery pack or something bad" -
i'd like to know if ANY new MS are being released versus just from a certain batch
if it IS the battery, is it new production, or might we be seeing a recall shortly (and if a recall, voluntary repairs, or mandatory?) - i have no idea. the complete radio silence is a bit foreboding, and I am now starting to jump to (more) conclusions, in a bad way.
stop a batch from delivery? okay, problem with batch. defects? or missing pieces?
stop them all? what's going on.
i STILL think the dusty 450 are 19" related.
the new cars being blocked right before delivery? dunno.
i wouldn't even check for a vin or date now until we hear somebody has taken a new delivery.
the former litigator in me is wondering if Tesla is NOT delivering any new models in case they think something is up - but then wouldn't they be smart to issue statements, concerns, etc. to those who already have cars in possession?
unless the issues or concerns don't directly involve MS produced before <insert date here>
we KNOW Tesla will release cars with software that is not 100% perfect (ANC, rear screen, those games, etc.) - that's fine - as long as we have core functionality (for now, I would want what was advertised, ANC, etc. but can get away with waiting for a bit) - but why would Tesla NOT release the car?
1) Battery issue - safety, range, durability, etc. - if the batteries die after a year for example, they can call back those released cars in 8 months and swap packs. but maybe avoid having that happen with those not driven hard yet (just speculating) - and if something big like the pack, I presume can be done at the SC level
2) buggy software - OTA may be able to take care of it, and maybe cars were shipped with that intention, but if it is a hardware issue as well - then maybe
2a) new chips, and incompatible boards - maybe T thought they could code around it, can't, and have to produce new boards or workarounds for replacement chips
3) other hardware issues - i THINK the motors are proven. but what if they're not? or the cooling, etc. - maybe it's stuff they can and should fix now for the new cars, versus a recall later for them
anyway, it appears this hold is a lot worse than I at least originally thought. Tesla is more of a software compay on wheels than anything else - if they're halting all deliveries, then what's going on here?
Agree with the statement 100%. Remember when the Model Y had the same issue couple months ago car was at the dealership but they put a delivery hold on it. Afterwards we knew that the radar was removed. So lets see I am sure we will know in a couple days as this kind of issue is probably worked on with many people involved at Fremont.

I have been in constant communication with my local SC this week regarding the delivery of my LRMS. Delivery was set up for tomorrow, but the SC informed me that ALL LRMS vehicles are being held, regardless of which batch they came from. The representative informed me that my car was awaiting a software update that has not been released yet, even on the backend of Tesla's development team. He didn't really expand on that reasoning, but I assume this software update does fix a MAJOR bug given most of the time Tesla has no problem releasing vehicles with minor hardware and software issues. There is no estimated delivery date as of now, and the rep told me that I should hear more next week, but cannot say whether or not I'll get my car by then or not. This is just extremely frustrating as Tesla has already taken a very long time with this delivery to begin with, and now the car is literally just sitting there, waiting to be released after a software update.

If Tesla is holding up shipments to SC's from the factory, then this is pointing to hardware. Scares me because my plaid is sitting in my garage. Might park it outside (shutter) until this blows over and we figure out what the issue is.

If Tesla is holding up shipments to SC's from the factory, then this is pointing to hardware. Scares me because my plaid is sitting in my garage. Might park it outside (shutter) until this blows over and we figure out what the issue is.
They could also be holding shipments out due to limited space. SC's typically don't have a lot of extra space to house new cars on top of the cars that are there to be worked on and also possible loaner vehicles. Hopefully, that's the case, and we aren't dealing with a major production line issue that will require months of work being done on all models currently just sitting.

I just called Tesla Costa Mesa, which is my delivery location and SA there told me there are no issue with model S deliveries and they've been doing it.

She told me once VIN is assigned to my account and delivered to the SC, there will be no limitation of delivering it to me.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have a strong feeling if there was danger, like the Volt had, they would tell you to park it outside and not drive it.

I just called Tesla Costa Mesa, which is my delivery location and SA there told me there are no issue with model S deliveries and they've been doing it.

She told me once VIN is assigned to my account and delivered to the SC, there will be no limitation of delivering it to me.
Did you tell her about the wealth of other cars that are sitting at service / delivery centers not being released?

Also. You have no VIN and are two one days day away from delivery?

Did you tell her about the wealth of other cars that are sitting at service / delivery centers not being released?

Also. You have no VIN and are two one days day away from delivery?
I asked regarding the nationwide model S delivery hold and she didn't aware of anything of it.

She just wanted to check whether I have VIN assigned.