Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sound a lot like you don't really want this car. If you're that uncomfortable with the yoke being there. This is absolutely not the car for you. Sucks you can't get over it. It's got it. No they're not magically going to give you a round one. And if you don't like it. You can cancel your order.

I'm tired of reading on this thread how much people hate certain parts, tail lights, yoke, accidents, maybe it's too fast, not fast enough. Let's move on and be excited some people have them, some VINs and pickups are scheduled for this weekend even!

All y'all haters. Please see the door and cancel your order.

Y'all ready for delivery? Let's talk about that.
Sure, okay let's talk about something else. You want to talk about delivery? Okay, I got a big fat BLANK with no estimated delivery date after ordering the vehicle on 2/5/21...likely August that I actually get it. How about you? What's your estimated delivery date? And btw -- there's nothing wrong with discussing all the changes, features, benefits, driving experiences, etc. of a new car whether after you take delivery of the vehicle or before, especially when there are radical changes to something that affects the drive-ability and convenience of the vehicle. The yoke is controversial...gee, I wonder why? Because, at least for now, it doesn't have any advantage over a traditional, round steering wheel AND obviously may cause drive-ability issues having the entire top of the wheel lopped off!

For me personally, as I've said before, I've already committed to taking delivery of what I ordered and just like @EVonly , I am willing to try it and see if I can adapt to it. It may not be my favorite but I may be able to adapt to it and drive it for the 2-3 years I'm planning on keeping it...although maybe longer as I'm just buying the darn thing outright so it depends on how much I love it and what other comparable EVs are available at a similar price range at that time.

I am NOT brand-loyal like many of you Tesla Fans here; this will be my first Tesla (also like many of you here) and this entire ordering/delivery experience has been the worst auto buying experience of my life (and gosh I cannot even count how many cars I've had)...all the bs hype, all the inaccuracies, zero communication, zero real information directly from Corp HQ and it's local representatives, all the over-promising & then under-delivering, and then especially after seeing that epic failure of what was supposed to be a professional, corporate "delivery event" with all sorts of new information and awesome "surprises," I may be one of those people who just "love the car BUT hate the company" (even though I own TSLA shares and want the company to succeed of course!).

My MS Plaid will be my first Tesla but it could be my last Tesla...time will tell. But, you shouldn't tell anyone what to do (cancel their order or whatever); perhaps just LISTEN to what other people have to say about what's best for them personally and how they feel about things? It's NOT about what you think others should do! You don't see me here telling you, sir, what to do with your order, your money, your car, and your life...do you? 🤔

Last edited:
Sure, okay let's talk about something else. You want to talk about delivery? Okay, I got a big fat BLANK (with no estimated delivery date after ordering the vehicle on 2/5/21). How about you? What's your estimated delivery date? And btw -- there's nothing wrong with discussing all the changes, features, benefits, driving experiences, etc. of a new car whether after you take delivery of the vehicle or before, especially when there are radical changes to something that affects the drive-ability and convenience of the vehicle. The yoke is controversial...gee, I wonder why? Because, at least for now, it doesn't have any advantage over a traditional, round steering wheel.

For me personally, as I've said before, I've already committed to taking delivery of what I ordered and just like @EVonly , I am willing to try it and see if I can adapt to it. It may not be my favorite but I may be able to adapt to it and drive it for the 2-3 years I'm planning on keeping it...although maybe longer as I'm just buying the darn thing outright so it depends on how much I love it and what other comparable EVs are available at a similar price range at that time.

I am NOT brand-loyal like many of you Tesla Fans here; this will be my first Tesla (also like many of you here) and this entire ordering/delivery experience has been the worst auto buying experience in my life...all the bs hype, all the inaccuracies, zero communication, zero real information directly from Corp HQ and it's local representatives, all the over-promising & then under-delivering, and then especially after seeing that epic failure of what was supposed to be a professional, corporate "delivery event" with all sorts of new information and awesome "surprises," I may be one of those people who just "love the car BUT hate the company" (even though I own TSLA shares and want the company to succeed of course!).

My MS Plaid will be my first Tesla but it could be my last Tesla...time will tell. But, you shouldn't tell anyone what to do (cancel their order or whatever); perhaps just LISTEN to what other people have to say about what's best for them personally and how they feel about things? It's NOT about what you think other should do! You don't see me here telling you, sir, what to do with your order, your money, your car, and your life...do you? 🤔

If you could condense the above into a tweet to Elon, he needs to hear the first time buyer perspective...

Absolutely! I know @omarsultan believes in the whole Tesla design philosophy and the greater cause of the yoke pushing us forward to a FSD future. Omar is such an easygoing guy, I do not believe he would complain about the yoke even if it was bothering him. He believes in the greater cause and that shows us Tesla chose the right guy to deliver one of the first cars to. @omarsultan how are you feeling about the yoke after a full week of adjustment?

I haven’t heard any new details from @Atomadam in a few days, but the last I heard was that he would love to switch to a steering wheel if it was available. @Atomadam how are you feeling about the yoke one week on?
OK, this is going to be a bit long... :)

Context: as you might remember, two of my biggest concerns heading into this were the yoke and the stalkless (TBH, the stalkless was a bigger issue, in my mind) and I am certainly not a fanboi, so I went into this unsure, but generally willing to trust Elon's vision and his engineering and design teams execution.

After living with the car for a week (maybe a dozen drives of any meaningful length, 443 miles), my bottom line is that there is a learning curve, but it is reasonable. If a middle-aged doofus can handle it, anyone can handle it. On day 1 (as is painfully documented in video) I felt like I just got my learner's permit and had to think about everything--hand placement, where controls are, what sequence of actions I needed to take because 4 decades of muscle memory just got tossed. But in less than 72 hour (second video) I felt more comfortable--certainly awkward, but I had line of sight to getting the hand of things. In the last couple of says. mostly stopped thinking about the yoke at all and drive--I have figured out what worked for me. I am planning to post another "yoke adventures" video tomorrow, at the one week mark, so folks can judge for themselves.

I think folks go into this with proper expectations set--it will make things go better for everyone. But the. price of admission is gonna be some flexibility from folks. If folks are sure the yoke will never work for them, then it's never going to work for them. I folks are unwilling to change how they drive, then it will be a bumpier road. If folks go in with an open mind and some faith in themselves, I think folks will be fine.

If you could condense the above into a tweet to Elon, he needs to hear the first time buyer perspective...
I could but I wouldn't hold my breath for a serious answer, if at all from Elon or anyone else at Tesla HQ. If you haven't noticed, they're all a bit overconfident about everything they do and every decision they make. Part of that is b/c of the devout Tesla Fans all over the world. It's a bit cultish.

Sure, okay let's talk about something else. You want to talk about delivery? Okay, I got a big fat BLANK (with no estimated delivery date after ordering the vehicle on 2/5/21). How about you? What's your estimated delivery date?
Lol. I see you're easily triggered. Your posts are almost all about things you don't like. My point is, why spend this kind of money and not be happy with something. You made up opinions about things without even seeing it.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm suggesting you stop posting crap if you're going to "deal with the crappy parts of the car".

I'm not a Tesla fanboy. I've never owned a Tesla either. This will be the first I've bought. I'm not knocking the product though because I'm buying it. It's easy to get yourself into some kind of tizzy about features you've never tried. Then jade yourself when you get the car. Then cause yourself pain because "you knew you'd hate it".

This thead is for excited almost owners. Not for haters. But each to their own. No reason to hate on features you've never tried. Yoke is controversial sure. There's a whole nother thread for hate and love there.

My signature is up to date. Estimated delivery: still blank. Ordered beginning of March, a month after you.

Lol. I see you're easily triggered. Your posts are almost all about things you don't like. My point is, why spend this kind of money and not be happy with something. You made up opinions about things without even seeing it.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm suggesting you stop posting crap if you're going to "deal with the crappy parts of the car".

I'm not a Tesla fanboy. I've never owned a Tesla either. This will be the first I've bought. I'm not knocking the product though because I'm buying it. It's easy to get yourself into some kind of tizzy about features you've never tried. Then jade yourself when you get the car. Then cause yourself pain because "you knew you'd hate it".

This thead is for excited almost owners. Not for haters. But each to their own. No reason to hate on features you've never tried. Yoke is controversial sure. There's a whole nother thread for hate and love there.

My signature is up to date. Estimated delivery: still blank. Ordered beginning of March, a month after you.
You must have missed all the times I said I am willing to try and see if I can adapt to the yoke...just like Omar just said in his last post. I am not disagreeing with that. But no offense, you live in Marietta, GA (I've been there...used to work for a company whose HQ is in Kennesaw, GA)...it's quite different from South Florida with hundreds of thousands of Tesla owners in just a 100 mi radius, many of whom are > 65 years of age. I am seeing the "yoke steering" accidents in my dreams, lol...right around the corner from my house, dude, lol. It may not be pretty. I'm sure I will love my MS Plaid...I'm crazy excited for the performance and new experiences with the Tesla technology; not excited for the yoke steering but I'm willing to make a go at it...just don't know if I'll "enjoy" it much.

then especially after seeing that epic failure of what was supposed to be a professional, corporate "delivery event" with all sorts of new information and awesome "surprises,"

Did Tesla say that is what the event was supposed to be? Because I don't recall them saying anything about new information or awesome surprises. From what I saw that was mostly Bloggers, YouTubers, and Tweeters making stuff up to get more clicks.

Did Tesla say that is what the event was supposed to be? Because I don't recall them saying anything about new information or awesome surprises. From what I saw that was mostly Bloggers, YouTubers, and Tweeters making stuff up to get more clicks.
There were people at the event talking with Tesla execs who said those things actually. Regardless, it was an eye-opener for those who haven't experienced Elon Musk talking about Tesla vehicles in front of a crowd and how they do things...very amateurish and unprofessional. Not what I'm used to.

Reactions: HumanInput
Based on 36 years of driving experience with a round, flippin steering wheel and some of that experience with ICE vehicles that have 600+ HP/TQ. Plus based on reviews already done on the MS Plaid with the yoke steering. It seems to be quite clear that there are no real advantages of the yoke steering and it was simply dreamed up and put into action by Hanz & Franz, I mean Elon and Franz likely because they thought it was "cool." Not a good enough reason in my book.

I can only just imagine the amount of accidents, injuries and possible deaths, especially with older folks (probably mostly in refresh MS LR's with the yoke steering BTW) here in South Florida over the coming months and years with the yoke steering being a contributing factor in those crashes...why? Because the driver couldn't find the horn or because the driver couldn't grab the steering wheel correctly and ended up crashing into the oncoming 84-year old driver on the other side of the road. ALL a possibility just because Tesla implemented a radical new design change (with no real benefits just because they could do it) to what's been used the same way in automobiles since Henry Ford developed the Model T.

All It takes is one lawsuit. Discovery of documents or disgruntled employee saying "studies show the Yoke design not as safe, should consider traditional steering wheel".

I have never owned a Tesla but have wanted to for so long. The thrill of the order has been dampened a bit by having to have a yoke. Will I adjust? Probably. But can I imagine ever saying "wow this is much better than the round wheel!" No.

Last edited:
For all those complaining about to yoke.

You are telling me they can drive race cars around a track and correct oversteer but you guys can’t drive with a yoke steering wheel on the street? For some reason a yoke is dangerous but F1 cars and Cup cars use them? If you don’t like the yoke, get another damn car. Stop wining and give up your car so others can get their car sooner.

All It takes is one lawsuit. Discovery of documents or disgruntled employee saying "studies show the Yoke design not as safe, should consider traditional steering wheel".

I have never owned a Tesla but have wanted to for so long. The thrill of the order has been dampened a bit by having to have a yoke. Will I adjust? Probably. But I can imagine ever saying "wow this is much better than the round wheel!" No.
Exactly and I would be willing to bet that one of those accidents, whether a fender-bender or a serious accident and/or fatality could involve an attorney or an attorney's family member. A class action case could be possible at some point.

You are telling me they can drive race cars around a track and correct oversteer but you guys can’t drive with a yoke steering wheel on the street? For some reason a yoke is dangerous but F1 cars and Cup cars use them? If you don’t like the yoke, get another damn car. Stop wining and give up your car so others can get their car sooner.
If I can drive with a PS controller, I can drive with a yoke. I fear some people will lack the hand eye coordination to control this car properly. Hopefully those people will have the gift of knowing there limitations, and not put themselves in dangerous situations.

Reactions: gsxdsm

Oh gosh, you don't get it. Those F1 & CUP cars with the yoke steering have a much shorter steering ratio dude than the MS yoke steering. From the Jalopnik article...

"I know there’s an argument that F1 cars use yoke-type wheels, but, remember, F1 cars are set up so that lock-to-lock turning can happen without the hands crossing. F1 cars themselves don’t move the front wheels more than 14 or 20 degrees even on the tightest tracks. F1 designers also don’t want drivers putting hand-over-hand like they’re parallel parking, so F1 cars make do with steering wheels that don’t even do one full turn from lock-to-lock. Again, even on the tightest tracks, they only move between 300 and 400 degrees at most.

The Model S wheel turns about two and a quarter full rotations, or around 800 degrees lock-to-lock according to one owner, which is pretty close to the standard 900 degrees/2.5 turns for most cars, as Jalopnik’s own automotive engineer David Tracy tells me. That is not what a yoke is designed to do.

The only car I’ve driven with a yoke was this:...which you might recognize as being from a dragster, a car specifically designed to just go straight as much as possible. A yoke is a wheel design that’s shaped that way to discourage a lot of turning, which is why for cars that may need to do a lot of low-speed maneuvering and turning, like a normal street car, a yoke is a pretty crappy design.

I’m sure it’s something a driver could eventually get used to, but that’s very much not the same thing as a new design that actually makes the operation of the machine better.

Here’s a dramatic example of why yoke-type wheels aren’t great for a lot of turning, as demonstrated by installing a yoke in a drift car. If you click the link you can watch and see why it’s not ideal, particularly for the structural integrity of your thumbs.

The yoke design also forces crossed arms a lot, which would be bad if the airbag deployed, and while that’s possible to happen with any wheel, the design of the yoke exacerbates it. The yoke precludes letting a wheel slide back into position and forces your hands to be locked onto the 9 and 3 positions. (I know a lot of track driving demands this, but there aren’t airbags there in track cars and, come on, the Model S is a street car.)"

Real-World Video Of The Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel Is As Bad As You Think UPDATED