Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That blue is hands down my second favorite color. It looks gorgeous out in the sun.
I keep vacillating but I think I'm good with my Blue color. They all frankly look great to me, and before the price increase I considered changing it up - it feels like the SAT or whatever - they say don't change your answer, stick with your first one when not sure

I have an update from my inside contact at Tesla (note: the conversation was mostly centered around my order).
Here goes:

1. 19" wheels are the only bottleneck at this point, but it's definitely happening this month
Would love to know what the seeming delay with white interiors is... haven't seen too many white interior orders get VINs here on TMC, and yet i just watched a youtube vid with some guy who ordered white/white in June that has a car

I have an update from my inside contact at Tesla (note: the conversation was mostly centered around my order).
Here goes:

1. 19" wheels are the only bottleneck at this point, but it's definitely happening this month

2. My order is in "build planning" phase, which I already knew, but the new piece of info here is that it has also been matched to a "production slot", and I can expect a VIN in the next week or two (note: still showing blank on my account)

3. It will take about 7-10 days after the VIN pops up in my account to take delivery - note: I'm taking delivery at the factory

4. The RN numbers and MVOA order date don't mean much, however they do look at original order dates - so in my case, my order is supposedly of the "highest priority" since it was placed 9/22/2020

As always, hope this helps others in 19" purgatory!
thanks for the update. not to nitpick with your list (okay, maybe a little?) but it seems to me from it, if you can elaborate (if you know)
1) chip shortage - not affecting Tesla at all, or is it causing a slowdown of sorts, and
2) other than 19" are interiors not an issue?

I would love to read your post as gospel and general to the rest of the orders, but I get it - it was related to your order. So, if your inside contact was only talking about your order and you don't know more, you can't elaborate. But, if more general as well - that would be awesome - if just for your car, that's great for you - I'm just hoping for me that after the 19" dam opens, my baby can come pouring out at some point from the Tesla womb.
Thanks for anything you can add!

I believe I read the 19" have options for all season or summer tires. I posted previously asking how I can ensure I get the all seasons - I don't remember the response :( I would ask my SC - summer tires are useless to me in the northeast in the winter, and i'd rather not buy another set of wheels, etc. store them, yada.
That would make too much sense!

Would love to know what the seeming delay with white interiors is... haven't seen too many white interior orders get VINs here on TMC, and yet i just watched a youtube vid with some guy who ordered white/white in June that has a car

Stuff like this is such a slap in the face for people who ordered the exact same config months before.

But those things have nothing to do with what I was referring to...
Then I guess I don’t understand what you mean. There are several examples on this thread where people got their vehicles sooner if they changed their config to wood and their rims.

Now a reservation placed doesn’t mean exactly the order of receipt. Same was true for the model 3. Same will be true for the Cybertruck. Especially during end of quarter when their goal is to get as many sales as possible. Not ideal for people waiting in line but it is ideal for the company to get cars marked as sold.

Reactions: lbowroom
Can you check with your source when will Canadian deliveries start shipping? Im a Feb 4th Plaid order, currently showing August... Thanks in advance

thanks for the update. not to nitpick with your list (okay, maybe a little?) but it seems to me from it, if you can elaborate (if you know)
1) chip shortage - not affecting Tesla at all, or is it causing a slowdown of sorts, and
2) other than 19" are interiors not an issue?

I would love to read your post as gospel and general to the rest of the orders, but I get it - it was related to your order. So, if your inside contact was only talking about your order and you don't know more, you can't elaborate. But, if more general as well - that would be awesome - if just for your car, that's great for you - I'm just hoping for me that after the 19" dam opens, my baby can come pouring out at some point from the Tesla womb.
Thanks for anything you can add!
I'm really sorry guys, but what I already shared is all I got today. I'm getting the impression that my contact, who is not a friend or anything close to that, is trying to avoid talking about production-related topics that aren't at least somewhat loosely tied to my order (probably to avoid getting in trouble).

Last edited:

That’s surprising, I wonder how this happened. Maybe a lucky refused delivery in the local SC?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Here goes:

2. My order is in "build planning" phase, which I already knew, but the new piece of info here is that it has also been matched to a "production slot", and I can expect a VIN in the next week or two (note: still showing blank on my account)

3. It will take about 7-10 days after the VIN pops up in my account to take delivery - note: I'm taking delivery at the factory

4. The RN numbers and MVOA order date don't mean much, however they do look at original order dates - so in my case, my order is supposedly of the "highest priority" since it was placed 9/22/2020

As always, hope this helps others in 19" purgatory!
THIS is what I have been refreshing this thread all day for, although I did not know it hahahah.
At least I can reasonably expect delivery in August sometime. Hopefully the sooner part of August, haha.

Thank you!!!

THAT is what I was talking about.
Well….sorry to say but I don’t see this changing. Been this way for years and probably will continue to be this way for many more. The best way to mitigate this is wait and order once production is running smoothly for a year and deliveries are happening. (And not dealing with a post pandemic parts issue.). Preordering really doesn’t mean “that” much with Tesla. It seems more of just a way to gauge demand.