Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!

Update from my order, Production compete today, a whole month ahead of schedule. I was expecting October so hopefully they can deliver before I go on a trip

Ordered: 8/28
Confirmed:9/4
Started Production: 9/10
Production Complete: 9/15

Estimated Delivery

September 16, 2015 - September 23, 2015

Oh Kevin you are making me so jealous! I also pick up in Fremont. I also ordered on 8/28 and Confirmed on 9/4. My production actually started even earlier on 9/8 but still in production as of this moment. What time did yours hit production complete? I had noticed most of my other changes happened in the evenings.

Mine is an 85D pretty much loaded except for stock wheels and no Subzero package. I wonder if some of my options are taking longer? Maybe extra speakers being installed now for premium sound or something?

FTW, that is called "moving forward" (I think). Pretty fast build - looks like an end of quarter surprise.

Yeah, I've had more than one person tell me that it's likely Tesla will want to get as many cars delivered by the end of Sept (and end of fiscal quarter) as possible to realize the revenue for quarterly earnings report... so if they can get it to you in Sept I imagine they probably will.

S85, #102770

Aug 11: Ordered
Aug 18: Confirmed
Aug 25: In production queue
Aug 27: Building

Sep 9: In transit from the factory, estimated delivery: Sep 17 - 24 to the West Palm Beach Service Center in South Florida.
Sep 15:
Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery

It's ready two days later (Sep 17), I have pickup scheduled for Saturday, Sep 19!

FTW, that is called "moving forward" (I think). Pretty fast build - looks like an end of quarter surprise.
Lost in translation. Sounds about right!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I've had more than one person tell me that it's likely Tesla will want to get as many cars delivered by the end of Sept (and end of fiscal quarter) as possible to realize the revenue for quarterly earnings report... so if they can get it to you in Sept I imagine they probably will.
Highly likely that they are trying to push out as many cars as possible. They probably also want to offset the lowered unit number they set as an expectation because of the retooling on the lines.

Oh Kevin you are making me so jealous! I also pick up in Fremont. I also ordered on 8/28 and Confirmed on 9/4. My production actually started even earlier on 9/8 but still in production as of this moment. What time did yours hit production complete? I had noticed most of my other changes happened in the evenings.

Mine is an 85D pretty much loaded except for stock wheels and no Subzero package. I wonder if some of my options are taking longer? Maybe extra speakers being installed now for premium sound or something?

It changed this morning to Production complete, last night it was still in Production. I saw the same thing as you for the other stages, the state changed in the evenings, not for this phase though. I ordered mine with Premium sound too, have to see on the tour how the decide on the production.

I spoke to my DS today and he said the inspection can take a week so it is most likely next week when I'm out of town so I'll have to wait till I get back :(

Ordered: 8/12/2015 (70D)
Confirmed: 8/19/2015
Production: 8/31/2015
Production Complete: 9/3/2015

My delivery date is still showing September - Early October. Contacted by my DS, to see if the car left California yet. I have seen some delivery dates to North East Ohio as fast as 7 days. I have scheduled September 25th off work, hoping the car would be ready. I have also told my DS I can leave work when ever the car is ready.

Does any know how often the train departs? Once per week? Twice per week?

- - - Updated - - -

"contacted my ds"*

Received update from DS and have a "tentatively" scheduled delivery for Next Thursday 9/24. The estimated delivery dates in the my Tesla has changed to Sept 20 to Sept 27.

Whoa! Just got a call from Fremont: everything moving forward a month!
Production to start next week (if I let my order confirm tonight...)
Delivery late-september to early October! Hooray for local pickup in Fremont!
Order confirmed last night. This morning, it is in production queue! They really are cranking out as many as they can it seems. Yes!

Order: 9/8
Confirmed: 9/15
Production queue: 9/16
Entered Production: TBD
Production complete: TBD
Estimated delivery: Late September to early October

Pro tip: when I put my deposit down, I was quoted a late-October delivery. And as I messed with the design in the next few days in the studio, I could see that delivery was now stating early November below where you see the cash and lease prices and the "Done" button.
At that point, I figured I should upload my driver's license, and update all of my profile info in MyTesla. When I got to shipping details, I had a choice of "Late-October" or "Next available".
I chose the latter, and that made a difference as Jimmy told me. A whole month's difference!

YMMV

Last edited:
Think all cars exiting the production Q after the 9th may be shipped via truck so you may only have to wait 3-4 days vs train time of 3 weeks.

Hope they stack a Midwest truck quick. 70D spent a total of 18 days in production (finished 9/15) which seems upper limit of normal since July. Bit of an outlier so it sure would be nice if they got it to Minnesota -- I'd be delighted to be a part of their Q3 delivery statistics. =D

No further info from DS yet on delivery.

September is the last month of the Q3 quarter.

Is it correct to observe at this point that order-to-delivery times for USA cars are getting pretty short? (like, less than 6 weeks in total)

And is it fair to conclude that this is part of their normal process of delivering to far away global locations earlier in the quarter, and then to the USA later in the quarter? (With the very last deliveries happening for customers in California, or even at the factory on September 30th.)

Versus - concluding OMFG demand is falling off, waiting list shortening etc., etc.