Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the chances of this??
I don't think there's much chance of you actually getting a larger battery for free. I think in previous cases, they have contacted people with open orders and asked if they wanted to upgrade (or downgrade, if possible), waiving the $500 change fee.

For example, when the 85 kWh battery was eliminated, customers with delayed orders for the 85 kWh battery were given the option of upgrading to 90 kWh or downgrading to 70 kWh. There was at least one customer who was told he could stick with his 85 kWh order but I believe he ended up downgrading to 70 kWh.

I'm hoping a 100 kWh battery is announced in the next few months which is another reason why I have delayed delivery. I'm not expecting it to be a free upgrade.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much chance of you actually getting a larger battery for free. I think in previous cases, they have contacted people with open orders and asked if they wanted to upgrade (or downgrade, if possible), waiving the $500 change fee.

For example, when the 85 kWh battery was eliminated, customers with delayed orders for the 85 kWh battery were given the option of upgrading to 90 kWh or downgrading to 70 kWh. There was at least one customer who was told he could stick with his 85 kWh order but I believe he ended up downgrading to 70 kWh.

I'm hoping a 100 kWh battery is announced in the next few months which is another reason why I have delayed delivery. I'm not expecting it to be a free upgrade.
Why wouldn't they have done this when releasing the new front end?? Thats what confuses me a little bit. Why upgrade on month then upgrade again another month.....

Reactions: newtman
I guess if I really think about it, I always sort of had it in my head I wouldn't see it until the first week of June, so I'm not sure why I'm so sad. AND, it COULD still show up earlier. (I can dream, right?)

FWIW, I almost crashed on Sunday as a stunning, new, midnight silver was coming at me on Wilshire Blvd. My eyes locked, jaw dropped and I smiled ear2ear. The front end is damn beautiful and takes no getting used to at all. Yes DREAM big because this one is coming true for you!

i see many of the newly minted tesla owners are going for the next gen seats -- are they really that good? and worth the 2500?

I am debating on getting them or not -- so far i am getting the midnight metallic, pano, premium interior, auto pilot -- iffy on the sub zero and next gen seats

I went back and forth on this myself. I didn't want leather, but I wanted the best seats possible. I didn't get a chance to sit in the cloth seats, but I did drive a classic Model S with the original leather seats which have similar padding. I found the general comfort level similar. The next gen seats have bigger bolsters and prevent side to side movement when throwing the car around curves, but with cloth seats you're going to stay planted better than on leather anyway.

The thing I don't like about leather is they are cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and slick so you slide around on them. With cloth you stay planted and they don't have the temperature extremes.

I decided on the cloth seats in the end.

Feels like everyone is buying it on behalf of their birthday!

I placed my order a week after my birthday, and it was a "0" birthday too, but I did mostly because my SO was telling me "it's time to pull the trigger" and who am I to disagree? :)

Why wouldn't they have done this when releasing the new front end?? Thats what confuses me a little bit. Why upgrade on month then upgrade again another month.....

They changed the wheels in March, then the big update in April. If there are other changes it may be due to their stringing out the changes to burn through parts inventory. ie they will update the 70 to the 75 when they run out of batteries for the 70 KWh packs. The same may be true for the 100, though I suspect the 100 KWh packs will be the first built at the Gigifactory.

I went back and forth on this myself. I didn't want leather, but I wanted the best seats possible. I didn't get a chance to sit in the cloth seats, but I did drive a classic Model S with the original leather seats which have similar padding. I found the general comfort level similar. The next gen seats have bigger bolsters and prevent side to side movement when throwing the car around curves, but with cloth seats you're going to stay planted better than on leather anyway.

The thing I don't like about leather is they are cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and slick so you slide around on them. With cloth you stay planted and they don't have the temperature extremes.

I decided on the cloth seats in the end.

I placed my order a week after my birthday, and it was a "0" birthday too, but I did mostly because my SO was telling me "it's time to pull the trigger" and who am I to disagree? :)

They changed the wheels in March, then the big update in April. If there are other changes it may be due to their stringing out the changes to burn through parts inventory. ie they will update the 70 to the 75 when they run out of batteries for the 70 KWh packs. The same may be true for the 100, though I suspect the 100 KWh packs will be the first built at the Gigifactory.
That makes alot of sense now! They changed the tires? Can you show me this? Ive only been looking into the details for the past month or so. Thanks

Just reading all these posts bring back good memories from a year ago when I was in the same boat as everyone here. You'll really enjoy the car once you get it! :)
The Tesla site just updated my delivery date from saying "May - Early June" to "Your estimated delivery window is May 12, 2016 - May 26, 2016"

I notice the same thing on My Tesla page as of last night, too!
I t previously said May-early June. I am on the East Coast.

Reactions: Big-Al