Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NJ delivery update...

VIN 1424XX

Delivery window of June 17 - July 1.

Do the deliveries usually come on the earlier side or am I looking at the very end of June?
That's good news. Just Emailed my DS, have not heard back, but I went on production on 6/6, it would make sense if my car comes around that timeframe. At least you have some numbers, so that's a ballpark, I think it's a bit big... if the cars are shipped by truck, they should be here faster than end of June....

Update today:

"Your estimated delivery window is June 8, 2016 - June 15, 2016"

Summary:

S70D / VIN: 1442xx
Fremont Pickup
Confirmed/VIN 5/17
In Production 6/2
Delivery window 6/8 - 6/15

Update as of last night:

Summary:

S70D / VIN: 1442xx
Fremont Pickup
Confirmed/VIN 5/17
In Production 6/2
Production Complete 6/6
Delivery 6/17

Regarding my DS' service, I've had nothing but a great experience. His responsiveness has been excellent and he never fails to return emails within 6 hours. I email (pester) him once or twice a week and he always answers my stupid questions with no hint of intolerance. My experience at the Service Center mirrors his courtesy and respect. Much love for the Tysons Service Center!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Tremendous and you appreciate it and it increases your satisfaction. Everybody wins.

So does that mean we will have to carry the insurance while the car is being transported? And if there's an accident during transport that's on our insurance? I suppose I can ask Whitney when the time comes. I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that we can even buy Teslas in Texas. Being the "oil state" I guess it's understandable, but it is also a state that encourages capitalism and free market. Interesting dichotomy....
In my case, insurance was only required on the date of delivery and taking possession, not before. My insurance on the car won't start until Friday, when I take possession. I spoke to my insurance company on this matter, and this all seemed completely expected and normal.

NJ delivery update...

VIN 1424XX

Delivery window of June 17 - July 1.

Do the deliveries usually come on the earlier side or am I looking at the very end of June?
For what it is worth (if at all), I have a VIN very close to you with same delivery date (Tysons Corner, VA) and my DS emailed me yesterday and advised the car will arrive at the SC late during the week of June 12th and I chose to take delivery on the 21st. Could have taken it on the 17th, but I am out of town.

I'm still patiently waiting (somewhat patiently waiting). Car went into production on 5/20 and still no word. DS hasn't returned my email. He said he was going to call me either Friday of last week or Monday of this week. He's MIA. :(
I can almost guess who this DS is. But outside of that ... you are within your rights to speak or ask for another DS. That's what the loan agents do when it comes down to crunch time. If one is unresponsive (and they know who those folks are), then well is that going to stop your deal? I don't think it's that uncommon or unexpected to just call the service center and say ... "I can't get a hold of xyz ... please direct me to someone who can assist me."
If someone gets offended ... that's on them ... be more transparent with what is going on. Don't leave customers guessing.

In my case, insurance was only required on the date of delivery and taking possession, not before. My insurance on the car won't start until Friday, when I take possession. I spoke to my insurance company on this matter, and this all seemed completely expected and normal.
But, isn't Colorado a direct sale state? Texas (likely because of Big Oil) is not a direct sale state . . . which makes things different.

One thing I wish I had done differently ... for the benefit of others here ... is get on top of the "paint protection" options earlier on. It just didn't really cross my mind. And there are a TON of options to consider!
And it makes all the sense in the world to maybe at least consider additional protection for a $100k car. My mind wasn't there ... more like, "Hey, it's new, it'll look new." Yeah duh ... but it comes down to maintenance of that look ... what is it worth?
So I'll take delivery, have the car for a few days, even before I can sit down in person with the detailers to discuss pricing and options. And this is definitely something I want to discuss face-to-face, maybe see some of the work, and definitely lay out options in terms of price and protection goals.
It doesn't hurt anyone to have this discussion with the detailer(s) anytime before taking delivery. Then like many smart folks have done, just drive the car over to the shop and get it knocked out.
This is one piece of advice I'd give others based on my experience so far here with the delivery process.

But, isn't Colorado a direct sale state? Texas (likely because of Big Oil) is not a direct sale state . . . which makes things different.
Interesting and NO, I don't know the rules in other states. So it's entirely possible that Texas has different rules for delivery.
And a quick search confirms you sir are correct ... Colorado is a direct sale state and Texas is not. Maybe this link will help others, if needed:
Where Can Tesla Legally Sell Cars Directly To You? State-By-State Map: LATEST UPDATE

You know ... it's actually a little funny in Colorado, it's direct sale, but Tesla can only have ONE showroom in the entire state, and can't (for now) open additional ones. The auto dealer lobby flexing here, no doubt.

Reactions: ishop4more
One thing I wish I had done differently ... for the benefit of others here ... is get on top of the "paint protection" options earlier on. It just didn't really cross my mind. And there are a TON of options to consider!
And it makes all the sense in the world to maybe at least consider additional protection for a $100k car. My mind wasn't there ... more like, "Hey, it's new, it'll look new." Yeah duh ... but it comes down to maintenance of that look ... what is it worth?
So I'll take delivery, have the car for a few days, even before I can sit down in person with the detailers to discuss pricing and options. And this is definitely something I want to discuss face-to-face, maybe see some of the work, and definitely lay out options in terms of price and protection goals.
It doesn't hurt anyone to have this discussion with the detailer(s) anytime before taking delivery. Then like many smart folks have done, just drive the car over to the shop and get it knocked out.
This is one piece of advice I'd give others based on my experience so far here with the delivery process.
I went last weekend to talk to someone (since I had the feeling production was about to begin). I then thought about the parts of my previous cars where I've had bumps and scrapes. Granted, I'll have a back up camera now, and the side warnings but I thought I should protect those parts of my car where I'm not so careful. And then I thought about my wheels too! Especially since I've seen fb posts from people who are scuffing their wheels.

I think I'm getting modesta put on my wheels (I looked into the cost of doing it myself and decided it's not worth it). Doing a full wrap and window tint (it's hot here in Texas and everything is bigger ;) so we need to extend range any way we can).