Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an inventory car end of September and I am about 4-5 weeks in and still waiting for a delivery date. I've seen people on here with custom orders placed the week before mine that will end up with their car probably close to when I get mine.

I will say though, the price adjusts they're doing on inventory cars sure helps the pocketbook.

Ordering from inventory that sits at a distribution center (Fremont or Birmingham) may ship faster as they fill trucks from there. Since you're in Minn - that may be complicated as it would require trucking logistics to fill a truck to MN with other orders (so you're probably waiting until they can).

Oct 16 - Placed Deposit
Oct 19 - Order Confirmed
Delivery Range: Late Dec - Jan 2018

Seems like the lead time is long..

Not really - it is just that the practice is to make the California cars near the end of the quarter. If you ordered on November 20th, you'd still see Late December delivery. I've seen order to delivery of 14-20 days at end of quarters for bay area and even some to LA.

I ordered basic 75 just before deadline on September 27. Glad estimated delivery said late November - early December. Trying to sell my sports car before new purchase. Happened to look at my account the other day. Now said Late October - Early November. Yikes! Have not sold other car yet. Wonder why they moved me up. I wanted to wait and they advance me. The rest of folk are complaining about delay. Weird. Suspect because they wanted to stop producing the basic model 75. Checked this morning and have specific date range of October 30 to November 13. Have been in touch with delivery. Said will try to delay. Also account an hour ago said car had finished production. Now says in production.

I ordered basic 75 just before deadline on September 27. Glad estimated delivery said late November - early December. Trying to sell my sports car before new purchase. Happened to look at my account the other day. Now said Late October - Early November. Yikes! Have not sold other car yet. Wonder why they moved me up. I wanted to wait and they advance me. The rest of folk are complaining about delay. Weird. Suspect because they wanted to stop producing the basic model 75. Checked this morning and have specific date range of October 30 to November 13. Have been in touch with delivery. Said will try to delay. Also account an hour ago said car had finished production. Now says in production.
did you get a trade in quote?

Most inventory are now "on location", but just days ago we had over 1000 inventory cars and a lot of them where "produced to inventory". These cars are at the factory or close to it. Tesla Inventory List

Why can't Tesla do something like that for people to choose from Inventory on a larger-scale? Not a lot of IT work to build such a utility. They have kept inventory "so secret" the last couple years - not even allowing one office employee to see inventory outside of their own region.

So I ordered a Model S which was confirmed on the 25th (for Ontario Canada). I havent got my VIN yet, but my delivery just got pushed to Jan to Early Feb 18. Based on everyone's experience, how likely is this gonna hold, or will it be brought forward later? I ask because Ontario currently have an EV incentive which may change on Jan 1st 2018, so I am getting a bit worried as my calculate was originally based on the incentive being there when the car is delivered in December.

I have a theory that Tesla had just built most of their international orders in October, that way they can take their time to be delivered before year end. Meanwhile, they are just now starting inventory and early domestic productions and then back to more inventory cars. After all the inventory cars are done, they will shift to fulfill the rest of the domestic orders before year end.

Reactions: bonaire
Why can't Tesla do something like that for people to choose from Inventory on a larger-scale? Not a lot of IT work to build such a utility. They have kept inventory "so secret" the last couple years - not even allowing one office employee to see inventory outside of their own region.

Good question! And I see that the inventory varies a lot. Sometimes its like 1800 cars and the next day it's 200.

Hey guys/gals,

New Model S owner here.
Ordered the car September 30th (found one with the color ext/int I wanted before it left the factory for a Tesla store and snagged it). By getting it ordered before it got to a store I save the transfer fee :) It arrived this past Tuesday and we took delivery Friday morning. Turned around and took a planned road trip to San Antonio on Saturday and back to DFW on Sunday. So far, a am beyond happy.

Awesome, enjoy! Nice photos.

During yesterday's earnings call, Elon mentioned that they reduced production on S & X from 2000/week to 1800/week to reduce inventory and shift employees to the Model 3. Might explain some changes people have been seeing. I'm waiting for my 75D order placed in late September, which is expected to enter production sometime in the middle of the month.

During yesterday's earnings call, Elon mentioned that they reduced production on S & X from 2000/week to 1800/week to reduce inventory and shift employees to the Model 3. Might explain some changes people have been seeing. I'm waiting for my 75D order placed in late September, which is expected to enter production sometime in the middle of the month.
I saw that. It starts to make sense as to why we are seeing such a long wait..