Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 2/20
Confirmed 2/23
VIN 2/23 (wow, that was fast!)

When I originally ordered, the delivery estimator said June (had just been bumped from late March). I was also told that any new orders the day I ordered would be delivered in June. However, I just talked to my DS today and he said I've been "fast tracked" for late March delivery! wow! I'm excited, but I actually had planned on having the delivery of the car in June since the lease on my current car is not up until late summer.. guess I may have to juggle 2 cars for a while?

What was your model configuration?

Congrats on getting fast tracked!

Hey congrats on your model s! Although my vehicle was built few days prior to yours, transportation to Toronto takes a looooooong time. As of two days ago my model s arrived to chicago via train, and then will get trucked to Toronto, currently sitting there for 2 days waiting for a full truck! I'm almost there, cannot wait, its been quite a ride! Congrats and enjoy!!!
That is SO GREAT! I am so excited for you! You will love this car even more than you could EVER imagine! Can't wait for you to get yours! Keep us posted!

Reactions: HA3AP
No I did order it but I was told the cameras have to calibrate and that’s somewhere between 100-150 miles. I may be wrong. Btw also my first close call tonight. Got home from Miami with 6 miles to spare.
Ok so I found out the my AP was never enabled from the factory even though I ordered it. So they have to hook it to their computers Monday morning for me to get it going. In the meantime my buddy and I own Real estate photography companies and did some quick shots after a couple beers tonight lol

Attachments

• 8B5F7E29-0585-4841-A4BB-B739BAFCC039.jpeg
    8B5F7E29-0585-4841-A4BB-B739BAFCC039.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 2D9D6191-6DBA-437A-8D84-A6872E6BC17A.jpeg
    2D9D6191-6DBA-437A-8D84-A6872E6BC17A.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 29BF2864-F010-47F0-B633-68AEC741814F.jpeg
    29BF2864-F010-47F0-B633-68AEC741814F.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 55
Hmm... What is NS? I think my December order got stuck in AL. My DA said things are looking better too I'm still scheduled for the 8th but I'm holding out hope he may be able to bump it up.

I went back and copied part of the article. Most wont make sense other than train loads are sitting in a traffic jamb coming and going into these rail yards. On average the trains are standing still for two days with out moving in the Norris terminal in Alabama. Couple this with the Amtrak/CSX crash last week in SC has really messed up the freight railroads.

Think of the analogy with the airlines. When say Chicago O'hare goes down in Chicago, look what it does to the schedules to all the other airports. You get a couple days of 1134 then it blows over. So our cars traveling by rail get to sit there for a couple days.

Normally Tesla/railroads would build in these delays into there schedule. But in this case we might get hit for a couple days of delay. Not good for Tesla's end of quarter numbers.

I had posted the other day if my car went by rail it would delay my delivery two weeks, than if they trucked it. That may explain why a batch of you got your cars early on the east coast. Tesla will try to ship by rail to save allot on shipping. I am dumbfounded why the Factory tour up the tracks going into the plant where they could have saved days just loading the autos right onto trains. They must really need the space to have done that. Now there "test" driving them down to Richmond to load.

NORFOLK, Va. — Norfolk Southern is taking steps to unclog congested areas of its system in Alabama and Georgia, where a combination of traffic growth and bad weather have gummed up yards and single-track main lines.

For the year-to-date compared to the first quarter of 2017, average train speed on NS has declined 16 percent, to 19 mph, while terminal dwell has risen 23 percent, to 29.9 hours, largely due to problems centered on the Alabama and Georgia divisions.

“Our No. 1 priority is to return velocity to the railroad,” Chief Financial Officer Cynthia Earhart told an investors’ conference last week.

Norris Yard in Irondale, Ala., outside Birmingham, is plugged, forcing NS to hold trains outside the terminal for miles in each direction in sidings on the former Southern Railway main line.

NS has temporarily transferred 55 train and engine employees to Birmingham from around the system. Earhart says 44 have arrived in Birmingham and are already qualified and working, while the final 11 crew members will arrive within a week or so.

The new crews will primarily be working in the terminal, Earhart says, but some will be handling road trains.

“We need to get the terminal turning quicker,” she says. “There’s a lot of traffic that we’re trying to get through there.”

To ease main line congestion on the East End District between Birmingham and Atlanta, NS has returned through traffic to the Central of Georgia District. Through trains were shifted off the Birmingham-Columbus-Macon, Ga., routing in the middle of 2017, Earhart says.

Earhart could not provide a firm estimate on how long it would take NS to restore service to prior levels.

“This is weeks. It’s not days for sure,” she says.

Systemwide, NS has enough crews and locomotives to handle its current traffic levels, Earhart says.

Terminal dwell at Norris Yard was 53 hours last week, well above the 31-hour average in the first quarter last year. Across the system, five other yards were operating with average dwell times above 40 hours, including Chattanooga, Tenn.; Columbus, Ohio; Elkhart, Ind.; Macon; and Sheffield, Ala.

Reddy thanks for that article on Norfolk Southern I had googled them but didn’t turn up that article, very enlightening. I was hoping to hear something yesterday but nothing but crickets.

Ironically a friend sent it to me from a trade publication yesterday.

Worst case you maybe delayed three days, this is outside Tesla's control. there probably fussing also but it wont do any good. As a positive note the Transload yard will be all caught up and will rapidly transfer the cars as soon as they arrive.

last week I had posted the article again on NS who lost a train in a rail wash out injuring two and destroying two Loco's 10 rail car loads of Auto's. The RR will total everyone of those cars damaged or not. I only saw a couple shots of the damage and believe they were all Nissan Rouges on the train. I could not imagine what would have been on the forum if they were Tesla's.

Hit the refresh button one more time before leaving work and I'm In Transit :D:D:D

Right to the date they said. Even with my DA on vacation.

Now will it go by Train or Truck? :rolleyes:

NS is now reporting rail delays in AL and GA. They have reopened another line and brought in 55 crews to deal with the back log. Hope I'm on the Northern route for now.

So that is the secret? The refresh button?

Hmm, interesting ... my OA was able to look up the production status and, right after my convo, the status magically changed”

Well in his defense I called him on his cell and he was at home, day off? He sent a text to the DS asking him to contact me but nothing yet as of early Thursday, however I am pretty confident in the projected timeline, I still think we will both be in Decatur at the same time.

Here's a data point for us East Coasters:

Model X 100D order confirmed 1/1/2018. Got phone call from DS yesterday. Production was from 2/23 to 2/28. Model X put on train on 2/28 from Fremont to Birmingham, AL. East Coast rail hub. My delivery appointment is set for noon on March 20 in Rockville, MD.

Hurray!

Here's a data point for us East Coasters:

Model X 100D order confirmed 1/1/2018. Got phone call from DS yesterday. Production was from 2/23 to 2/28. Model X put on train on 2/28 from Fremont to Birmingham, AL. East Coast rail hub. My delivery appointment is set for noon on March 20 in Rockville, MD.

Hurray!

I have same production dates as you and we are on the same train and probably same truck. I'll get dropped off at Tyson's then they run up to Rockville with yours. Odd I have same dates as you but three days later on delivery appointment 23rd at Noon.

Question for you, Have you scoped out the local chargers in the area. I spend a lot of time in Fredrick and Walkersville. Are there any destination chargers up there. Do you know where the future supercharger will be located? I travel on 15 all the time.

Question for you, Have you scoped out the local chargers in the area. I spend a lot of time in Fredrick and Walkersville. Are there any destination chargers up there. Do you know where the future supercharger will be located? I travel on 15 all the time.

Wow! Sharing a train! Cool!

Anyhow, I've done a cursory Plugshare check of Frederick charging. Not really good. I'm going to try 120v charging in my detached garage. I do very little local driving, and not too many trips to Burke, VA and Glassboro, NJ.

My bet for the future Frederick supercharger is the Sheetz at East Patrick Street and Monacacy Blvd. Easy access to I-70 and not too far off I-270/Rt. 15. Fast food options are there. (I've noticed the recent supercharger openings near Cleveland are both at Sheetz stations.) There is another Frederick Sheetz possibility near Francis Scott Key Mall. The Walkersville Sheetz is a distant third bet. BTW, I used to live in Chantilly.

Last edited:
My bet for the future Frederick supercharger is the Sheetz at East Patrick Street and Monacacy Blvd. Easy access to I-70 and not too far off I-270/Rt. 15. Fast food options are there. (I've noticed the recent supercharger openings near Cleveland are both at Sheetz stations.) There is another Frederick Sheetz possibility near Francis Scott Key Mall. The Walkersville Sheetz is a distant third bet. BTW, I used to live in Chantilly

The map shows it on East Patrick so you could be right on the Sheets deal. That's to easy to hit off 70/270. I would have to jog over from 25 which isn't to bad. I'd run over to Roy's or down the street to the ice cream place. I would love for it to be in the Walkersville Sheets. Have you been there since they rebuilt the station? There is a Hugh lot in the back all fenced off, wonder if that could be it. Trailers were just wet up on the lot and I'm starting to think it is a new Police substation which they need really bad.

There currently building a super charger over by the government center and shopping mall with Ruth's Chris and Coastal Flats. That one is ten minutes from my office. I'm sure I will go over and use that one and send some emails.

Since this supercharger discussion is off topic, and since my search didn't turn up a thread on the topic, I've started a new thread:

Frederick, MD supercharger

I'll post there when I find out more about location and construction. Also, good to see Tesla's building more NoVA charging locations.

CBP you are still out there? I thought they would have you locked up by now! :p
I am! I have been in the process of changing our insurance which has been a BEAR. We currently have our home and cars with Met Life and we have changed to a different company with better premiums, better coverage etc. Plus Met Life is no longer offering discounts to NRA members, so that was a deal breaker for us.
As for driving, it's been raining here so much I haven't been able to drive much. I hate getting my car wet and dirty since it was just detailed and ceramic coated so I got to drive it on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and it's been pouring ever since. I have 124 miles on it!!! BUT, I do have to say I having the most fun EVER with a new car as I have ever had. It's fun when people stop you and ask about it etc. Everyone who sees it just drools!!! Fun to drive (when I can!) and I love it more every time I drive it!

Yea CBP is too good for us lowly waiting peasants now that she is an owner. :D:D:D
LOL, Obie <thwap> It's been a wild couple of days. Like I told PJP1532, the change of insurance has been a BEAR and I pretty much had to do all the research. My agent's assistant with Met Life quoted me one figure ($1334 a year) for the Tesla. Today when I called her, she said our premium is $1450 a year on the Tesla....(she doesn't know we are leaving Met Life but we are.) Anyway, I asked WHY and she said something to the effect (besides "I don't know.") that when she quoted the Tesla 2 weeks ago, she quoted it on top of our other three vehicles (knowing full well that one was being replaced by the Tesla) and that when you have 4 vehicles instead of THREE, you drive each one, on average, less than when you have THREE vehicles, so the rate per vehicle is more when you have three instead of four.
SO, that's one reason we are leaving Met Life because our agent's assistant is whacked. I was so confused I had to just say "GOODBYE."
^^^^^All of that is just 10% of our entire conversation. She was so confused and so was I that I had to just hang up.
We do have our new paperwork but we're waiting on it to all go thru and then we are leaving Met Life. That has eaten up my time. Meeting with the new agent, filling out paperwork, talk talk talk, bleh. I want to run away from home and I have JUST the vehicle to do it in! LOL. Just gotta get the insurance done! Still got to figure out the range extender to see if I can get Black Magic to connect to my WiFi. Other than that, this car? It is SWEET! One thing I particularly like about it is the back of the car. There's something pretty about the back...I like that it's low and wide....it just has a beautiful presence.
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg

No I did order it but I was told the cameras have to calibrate and that’s somewhere between 100-150 miles. I may be wrong. Btw also my first close call tonight. Got home from Miami with 6 miles to spare.
OH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I haven't heard THAT before. Good grief. I am glad I didn't try to use it on my drive home from the dealership! THAT is not good. I am glad you didn't have a crash and made it home. 6 miles to spare. ugh. I now have 124 miles on my car. I haven't attempted to use Auto Pilot YET. Not sure I want to even though I know everyone just loves it. Me? I'm not so sure. YET.