Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Plaid+ last September and changed to Plaid when + was canceled. The delivery date was July in July, then blank, then February, and today from September 30 to October 20. Mine is red, white interior, carbon fiber, and 19" wheels which are likely the worst combination for fast delivery. I chose the 19" wheels since I drag race a lot at the strip and felt the 19" were lighter than the 21" for better acceleration. In addition, for my 2019 Raven, I bought Signature SV104 19"x8" which were 8# lighter and resulted in the quickest record 0-60 time before the Plaids of 2.46 (2.25 1ft) on dragy. The lighter wheels
new wheels.jpg
reduced both my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times by 0.10 seconds.

For my new Plaid, I received yesterday new Signature SV104 19"x9" and 19"x10" and today brought them to Wheel Concepts to be chrome plated. The plating will take 3 to 4 weeks which is fine with my new delivery estimate. The new wheels are just a hair over 20# and should be about 10# lighter than stock. I know many of you prefer black wheels but I am from the old school and chrome on a red car is my preference.

Spent a lot of time on the tires. The delivery reps did not really know the difference between the Summer ("Y", per the online owner's manual) and the All Season ("W") tires. When I pressed on the issue for the third time, the delivery rep said that I could refuse delivery, but that Tesla would not replace the tires once I took delivery (summer to AS). He went to talk to his manager. The manager went to research it and came back to tell me that the Pirelli tires on my car were indeed All Season tires. He said the owner's manual that shows the Y vs. W must be outdated/related to the pre-refresh MS. He showed me a print out from Pirelli website that verified that. I should have asked for a copy of it but I didn't think to do so. So...not sure what the real answer is, but that's my story!

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Here are my initial impressions, having only driven 33 miles!

First off, the delivery experience was very good. (Everything is relative, so some may think this does not equate to very good. Coming from a Honda Accord, this was a very good experience for me.) I arrived at 3:40 for my 4:00 appointment. The vehicle was still in detailing and was not ready until 4:30. Mid day today, my SA moved the appointment from 5:00 to 4:00, but hadn't closed the loop with the delivery team. Not a big deal to me. While I waited, one of the delivery reps walked me through some of the controls on a Plaid that was on the lot.

I spent quite a bit of time inspecting the vehicle. I have to admit, though, as a first time Tesla buyer and with this being my first nice car, I did not know what half of the items on @MarcG checklist meant! For example, I wouldn't recognize a panel gap if I saw one! I had decided before arriving that there would have to be something really major wrong for me not to accept delivery. Plus, I figured that if I discovered something after I left, Tesla would make it right. I did notice that some of the gasketing around the doors was not exactly perfect. Delivery rep fixed one small gasket misalignment on the back door.

I do have the yoke vein/worm, but to me it's pretty subtle and does not bother me. The rear window distortion is not noticeable when sitting in the parking lot, but I did notice it on the ride home. I didn't notice any other glass distortion.

I received two key cards and two key fobs. The privacy shelf in trunk was missing, and delivery rep disclosed it before I had to ask. It will be shipped to my house.

I thought the paint looked flawless, but again, I don't have a very extensive frame of reference! The black is just stunning to me. (I even copied @SarahsDad for my new profile pic. Thanks for the idea!)

Spent a lot of time on the tires. The delivery reps did not really know the difference between the Summer ("Y", per the online owner's manual) and the All Season ("W") tires. When I pressed on the issue for the third time, the delivery rep said that I could refuse delivery, but that Tesla would not replace the tires once I took delivery (summer to AS). He went to talk to his manager. The manager went to research it and came back to tell me that the Pirelli tires on my car were indeed All Season tires. He said the owner's manual that shows the Y vs. W must be outdated/related to the pre-refresh MS. He showed me a print out from Pirelli website that verified that. I should have asked for a copy of it but I didn't think to do so. So...not sure what the real answer is, but that's my story!

The delivery team was awesome. There was a small amount of residue when I opened the frunk, and I asked for a rag so that I could wipe it off. The rep said "I'll take care of it, you're not wiping anything!" They also were able to accomodate my request to move up my scheduled delivery by one day. After almost 8 months, that might not seem like much, but it really alleviated a difficult situation I was in from a schedule standpoint.

At the end, one of the post-delivery reps asked me if I'd mind sharing my order to delivery experience. He was very appreciative as I related my entire story, including lack of communication (from factory not SAs). He thanked me several times for choosing Tesla and for sticking with my order through the process and not going "to buy a Maserati or something else". He relayed how he's been with the company since they were selling 60,000 vehicles annually, through now where the Devon location itself processes 1,000 vehicles per month. He attributed the current situation to growing pains, and admitted that the local teams suffer from lack of info from Fremont. He was not making excuses, and it felt really good to be asked for my feedback. We agreed that the process must be improved when competition catches up.

Now for the limited driving experience. I felt comfortable with the yoke, especially on the highway. A little clumsy with slow turns, where hand over hand is normally used, but I have no doubt that will improve with more time behind the yoke. I didn't find the turn signals all that difficult to use, but admit that I reached for stalk a couple of times. As others have mentioned, the full press works well, but will take getting used to the one to three blink process.

Regenerative braking/one foot driving is awesome! I don't think I had to use the brakes the whole way home! What a fun way to drive! (Do the brake lights come on when you are slowing down? Don't remember seeing that in the manual.)

I had a smile the whole drive home, and actually laughed out loud to myself when I passed a gas station that I (used to) frequent. Quite the rush!

I did not push it too hard with this first drive. Part of it was nerves, like I didn't want to break my new toy (which I know would not happen!). The other part was I did not want to be the first TMC member to get a ticket. This car will be a cop magnet, I can feel it. If I were a cop, I'd pull me over, just so I could check it out! When I did push it, the response was awesome. I know others have said it before, but I echo...this thing is a beast, and I don't know what I'd do with a Plaid! This is more than enough for me.

The screen will take some getting used to for me. I tried to open the owner's manual to double check how to close the frunk, and the screen went black on me...twice. Reset it by pushing both scroll wheels.

Last thing...I really liked the front collision system that shows how close you are when pulling in the garage...until I got out and saw that i was just barely touching the object in front of the car. I think the 12" distance from object estimate that was shown was for the garage wall and not the object in front of it! It's not a problem, just a note to self!

Apologies for the long ramble, but it's been quite a day. Thrilled to have the vehicle finally. It's (real and it's) spectacular! I really didn't want any other vehicle, so I'm happy I stuck it out. I really couldn't have done it without TMC and it's supportive members. I still remember searching the web for any information on Model S deliveries back in early April, and I found this forum. I don't think I'd have waited until now for delivery without your encouragement, witty banter, and comaraderie. For those who have made it this far, thank you!
Congrats!

Here are my initial impressions, having only driven 33 miles!

First off, the delivery experience was very good. (Everything is relative, so some may think this does not equate to very good. Coming from a Honda Accord, this was a very good experience for me.) I arrived at 3:40 for my 4:00 appointment. The vehicle was still in detailing and was not ready until 4:30. Mid day today, my SA moved the appointment from 5:00 to 4:00, but hadn't closed the loop with the delivery team. Not a big deal to me. While I waited, one of the delivery reps walked me through some of the controls on a Plaid that was on the lot.

I spent quite a bit of time inspecting the vehicle. I have to admit, though, as a first time Tesla buyer and with this being my first nice car, I did not know what half of the items on @MarcG checklist meant! For example, I wouldn't recognize a panel gap if I saw one! I had decided before arriving that there would have to be something really major wrong for me not to accept delivery. Plus, I figured that if I discovered something after I left, Tesla would make it right. I did notice that some of the gasketing around the doors was not exactly perfect. Delivery rep fixed one small gasket misalignment on the back door.

I do have the yoke vein/worm, but to me it's pretty subtle and does not bother me. The rear window distortion is not noticeable when sitting in the parking lot, but I did notice it on the ride home. I didn't notice any other glass distortion.

I received two key cards and two key fobs. The privacy shelf in trunk was missing, and delivery rep disclosed it before I had to ask. It will be shipped to my house.

I thought the paint looked flawless, but again, I don't have a very extensive frame of reference! The black is just stunning to me. (I even copied @SarahsDad for my new profile pic. Thanks for the idea!)

The delivery team was awesome. There was a small amount of residue when I opened the frunk, and I asked for a rag so that I could wipe it off. The rep said "I'll take care of it, you're not wiping anything!" They also were able to accomodate my request to move up my scheduled delivery by one day. After almost 8 months, that might not seem like much, but it really alleviated a difficult situation I was in from a schedule standpoint.

At the end, one of the post-delivery reps asked me if I'd mind sharing my order to delivery experience. He was very appreciative as I related my entire story, including lack of communication (from factory not SAs). He thanked me several times for choosing Tesla and for sticking with my order through the process and not going "to buy a Maserati or something else". He relayed how he's been with the company since they were selling 60,000 vehicles annually, through now where the Devon location itself processes 1,000 vehicles per month. He attributed the current situation to growing pains, and admitted that the local teams suffer from lack of info from Fremont. He was not making excuses, and it felt really good to be asked for my feedback. We agreed that the process must be improved when competition catches up.

Now for the limited driving experience. I felt comfortable with the yoke, especially on the highway. A little clumsy with slow turns, where hand over hand is normally used, but I have no doubt that will improve with more time behind the yoke. I didn't find the turn signals all that difficult to use, but admit that I reached for stalk a couple of times. As others have mentioned, the full press works well, but will take getting used to the one to three blink process.

Regenerative braking/one foot driving is awesome! I don't think I had to use the brakes the whole way home! What a fun way to drive! (Do the brake lights come on when you are slowing down? Don't remember seeing that in the manual.)

I had a smile the whole drive home, and actually laughed out loud to myself when I passed a gas station that I (used to) frequent. Quite the rush!

I did not push it too hard with this first drive. Part of it was nerves, like I didn't want to break my new toy (which I know would not happen!). The other part was I did not want to be the first TMC member to get a ticket. This car will be a cop magnet, I can feel it. If I were a cop, I'd pull me over, just so I could check it out! When I did push it, the response was awesome. I know others have said it before, but I echo...this thing is a beast, and I don't know what I'd do with a Plaid! This is more than enough for me.

The screen will take some getting used to for me. I tried to open the owner's manual to double check how to close the frunk, and the screen went black on me...twice. Reset it by pushing both scroll wheels.

Last thing...I really liked the front collision system that shows how close you are when pulling in the garage...until I got out and saw that i was just barely touching the object in front of the car. I think the 12" distance from object estimate that was shown was for the garage wall and not the object in front of it! It's not a problem, just a note to self!

Apologies for the long ramble, but it's been quite a day. Thrilled to have the vehicle finally. It's (real and it's) spectacular! I really didn't want any other vehicle, so I'm happy I stuck it out. I really couldn't have done it without TMC and it's supportive members. I still remember searching the web for any information on Model S deliveries back in early April, and I found this forum. I don't think I'd have waited until now for delivery without your encouragement, witty banter, and comaraderie. For those who have made it this far, thank you!

Hey my twin. Great write up and so happy for you to finally be in your first Tesla. May it be the first of many and like most of us here the brand you’ll probably drive forever.

That whole Y W tire timing “mostly” refers to speed rating and not weather. So if it isn’t clearly embossed on the sidewalk who knows. The funny thing about the whole concern is those tires won’t last longer anyway, what was that tread wear 😆, and everyone can get their own tires. Lol

Heading to Vegas this morning so busy through Sunday to miss not having my S and fingers crossed that my Friday 9/3 delivery gets pushed up a few days next week.

Enjoy!!!!

Well today is supposedly the day 12.30 at tyson va... Since i never was able to talk to sa regarding specific of delivery i reached out to the tesla hq customer service and they got me scheduled for today..it was delivered to SC yesterday. Only that has me nervous is the car not in fact being ready for pick up 😬 and having to delay pick up

Ive locked in 1.24 rate and confirmed 600 premium for 6 months for 500 deductible

For those in Arizona .. My wife just showed me an article in the Phoenix paper concerning registration. EV's have been getting a big discount over gas cars for several years. My registration for the Plaid is to be $288. The rate starting in 2022 is 20 times that ... instead of 1% it goes to 20% of the retail. That is $5000, as I get close to year end my decision to wait for the white may change. Vehicle license tax formula for alternative fuel cars changing in 2022 | ADOT Arizona is one very expensive place to have a nice car.
Try 9% sales tax in NY!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Tesla is absolutely last in initial quality, 250 defects per 100 cars delivered, most cars are about 120 defects. By all standards tesla's quality is very bad, their customers (including myself) accept that because most other manufactures are three to 5 years behind, we really don't have a choice. Some time in the future we will have a choice and by then Tesla will have to compete on features and quality, go Tesla.
Remember that the JD Power questionnaire processing counts any unusual feature that requires training or study counts as a ‘defect’. If the respondent does not like a feature that counts as a ‘defect’. Ditto with Consumers Reports. That is how the vehicles with highest owner satisfaction also show lowest quality.

For the most part the simplest vehicles score highest in ‘quality’ and also fairly low on buyer satisfaction. As a general rule the more features the lower the ‘quality’.

in years past I had access to JD Power report raw data. The data was always quite good. Their interpretations of the data were largely useless. With my client we actually paid no attention to their rankings with a single exception: the advertising people.

Tesla always ranks low because of unconventionality, including OTA updates And direct sales.
That means many fewer buyers firn JD Power brand and model reports.

All this is exacerbated by Tesla policy on new model introduction with all the irritants we all bleat about (I resemble that comment), not to mention the large defect count on almost every new model.

Notably, Shanghai has had little of that. We’ll see about Austin and Berlin.

Fremont never had quality awards, not even with Nummi.
There are sound reasons why the Bay Area has had lots of design but not so much industrial production since the heydays of Douglas, Northrop and Hughes.

Tesla and SpaceX have been the holdouts.

The quality problems of Tesla are in part those of Fremont, aided by breakneck speed.

Don't know if you guys have watched this already but well said...

This guy is an idiot. Tesla doesn't manufacture chips, they program them, and chips don't have "contact points". I had to stop listening to fanboi fearing he would start rambling about his fantasies of fellating Elon. 🤣

Last edited:
I guess they don’t like Tesla. They mention base retail price. Isn’t that “technically” $64,990? Not including add-ons? I.e. plaid is a 55k add-on? Maybe I’m reaching here.
Has nothing to do with Tesla. In fact they had a law favoring EV, which is now expiring. Please see my post here. All this is doing is changing their initial registration tax to the same as all other cars. Not everything is a conspiracy