Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t This is supposed to be the delivery thread for us unlucky bastards!
Yes, but some of us cannot resist the established mantra: ‘It will have been worth the wait’.
oddly, perhaps, I do think that is true. My spouse argues the sound and spacious interior make it worthwhile, but she values most one thing nobody talks about. On a specific route we regularly take there is a long flat road with very few exits, called Alligator Alley. Both my P85D and P3D needed a charge at the end of that road ( it is no accident that there are Superchargers near both ends and near the middle). The Plaid, driven just as both of the others, finished the trip from origin to destination and still had 24% remaining. In Wh/mi the Plaid was 303, the P3D was 330 and the P85D was 365. I have recorded the three in late August/early September and similar weather. All three recorded trip were almist immediately following delivery and were to go to may preferred protective film/ceramic coating vendor, so routing was identical.

note: amazingly I have never been cited for any infractions on that route.

Yes, but some of us cannot resist the established mantra: ‘It will have been worth the wait’.
oddly, perhaps, I do think that is true. My spouse argues the sound and spacious interior make it worthwhile, but she values most one thing nobody talks about. On a specific route we regularly take there is a long flat road with very few exits, called Alligator Alley. Both my P85D and P3D needed a charge at the end of that road ( it is no accident that there are Superchargers near both ends and near the middle). The Plaid, driven just as both of the others, finished the trip from origin to destination and still had 24% remaining. In Wh/mi the Plaid was 303, the P3D was 330 and the P85D was 365. I have recorded the three in late August/early September and similar weather. All three recorded trip were almist immediately following delivery and were to go to may preferred protective film/ceramic coating vendor, so routing was identical.

So you’re saying the Plaid is more efficient? Why do you think that is?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

What was the SoC of your other vehicles at the destination?
Do you have the 19s or 21s?

Last edited:
So you’re saying the Plaid is more efficient? Why do you think that is?
According to the EPA the efficiency of both the Plaid 19” and P3D is 116 MPGe. I cannot explain how the Plaid has that efficiency, but the practical effect might be that with the better aerodynamics and other factors, perhaps the Plaid is more efficient outside the EPA test cycle.
That is speculation, I don’t know. We will know much more as soon as there is a large number of both 19” and 21” in use.

Went by the local containment lot and my car is there. (Just texted / emailed to see if I could get my delivery back to tomorrow)

Question for any one that has a clue what this is. There is a sheet in the front seat that says “Replaced SCCM”. Any ideas what a SCCM is?

Pics of my dirty car pre-delivery

View attachment 704361View attachment 704362View attachment 704363View attachment 704364View attachment 704365View attachment 704366

I believe it stands for Steering Column Control Module. I had a rubbing sound from my yoke when turning, and service ended up replacing the SCCM, said clock spring was defective. It didn’t fix the rubbing sound though…

Decided on Monday (8/23) evening I wanted the Plaid and placed an order. On the custom order screen it showed Dec - Jan for my build.

After paying the deposit it showed March, which was annoying, but then on Tuesday, 8/24, it changed to 9/16 to 9/30.

Then on Friday, 8/27, I got the VIN and EDD changed to 9/5 - 9/11!

VIN: 440XXX
Plaid, Black, 21”, Black interior with CF, FSD. Dallas, TX

Coming from an M5 Competition that’s blue and wrapped in matte PPF. May be wrapping the Plaid in matte but definitely in PPF.
Hello Captain,

Would lke to inform you that I hate you. Please join the others in the club. It grows ever larger by the day. Have the peanuts, they're marvelous.

You suck. Enjoy your car.

congrats

Good morning everyone,

sorry I've been gone. Since my EDD was moved (and hasn't changed ) to 10/19-11/8, I've tried to get my mind away from this vehicle. It's bee nearly 8 months since my order. Back in april-august, I had hope for an imminent delivery. Now I've succumb to the notion that I am indeed going to make a 9+ month wait of this. To be honest, it certainly is less stressful because my expectation is set. I have very little enthusiasm that anything changes with that date.

Anywho, if anyone wants to mess me up and give me false expectations, are any white interiors being delivered? :p:D

According to the EPA the efficiency of both the Plaid 19” and P3D is 116 MPGe. I cannot explain how the Plaid has that efficiency, but the practical effect might be that with the better aerodynamics and other factors, perhaps the Plaid is more efficient outside the EPA test cycle.
That is speculation, I don’t know. We will know much more as soon as there is a large number of both 19” and 21” in use.
This is going to be a very welcome surprise :) one thing to point out though is that I’ve had 330wh/mile in my 2015 70d when the tires were around 42psi and in the early 300wh/mile when at 47psi. All other things being the same

so that makes a reasonable difference too

02E75618-C8DB-432D-A5B6-F55D0EAC5F65.jpeg

Hmpf!

Here is Manny Koshbin's Plaid 19" review! It's the first video I've seen covering a 19" Plaid, with launches as well.

Edit after watching a bit: MAN that thing has some wheelspin! Lotta TC cutting in. Especially towards the end of the video.
The member here that was saying that he felt it spinning and cutting power up to 100 mph was not lying one bit. After all the Arachnid videos, it's weird to hear it for sure.
I just want to touch on this "wheelspin" idea as it seems to be used a lot.
There are true tire experts on the forum who can speak to the details but tires provide their best grip at a slip angle greater than zero. Put differently, there is some movement of the rubber with respect to the ground when the tires are doing their very best work.

My first two wheel drive P85 would leave black marks which resembled bar code when launched. Power was adjusted so quickly on slip that the black and white of no slip/slip where incredibly close to each other. I'd not seen this on any ICE as it is just not possible to adjust wheel torque that quickly and to that fine a level (because you are moving physical throttle butterflies, manipulating timing or pulling cylinders).

Tesla has had eight years to up their game not to mention two more tires they can use to augment their traction control and stability. Like the most surperb linear torque demand to regen of one pedal driving, they have coded traction and stability control that has the tires dancing on what feels to me to be the perfect slip angle for best drive when accelerating hard. The real proof of the pudding for me was beating on the car on very wet roads. Other high end sports cars stability control would allow the car to yaw 10-15 degrees before catching the back end. The Plaid goes like an arrow. I've even tried upsetting it almost to the point of rotation and it maintains its composure. This thing is probably a real hoot to drive on ice :)

The point of the comment is that Tesla has managed to provide 1000 hp while delivering it two the ground to propel the car while doing it in a way that keeps even the least talented among us from balling the car up. You can not do that with "wheelspin".

Does anyone can provide me the info to a good delivery advisor? I cannot get in touch with mine and I been trying to reach out to him through different means without success. My car is supposed to be delivered in Sep 11-17th; maybe it is too soon for them to contact me? I am not sure.

Anyway, my main concern is about my trade-in, the offer for my Model 3 expires on Sep 6th and I want to make sure that the new trade offer is fair. I haven't moved my car 1 mile since I got their offer and their offer was generous, $2,500 less than what I paid for 3 years ago. I just don't want to be blindsided by way lower offer. I would like for Tesla to rerun my trade-in offer right now since it would be good to the end of September.

EDD Sep 3-10. That’s tomorrow. No VIN. RN 114397. January order. It feels like they would rather me cancel then sell mine to someone else for the 12K more, the current cost over my price. My brother with same config, ordered after me for more $$, has his car already. Feels unethical.
This is not "proof" that Tesla is prioritizing higher margin/priced orders but it does give you pause if the same exact configuration is delivered to someone who ordered much later and at a higher price.

I know we are not supposed to attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence but this sure is a convenient bit of incompetence and from a company that has purposefully refined the ability of management to hide from customers.

Does anyone can provide me the info to a good delivery advisor? I cannot get in touch with mine and I been trying to reach out to him through different means without success. My car is supposed to be delivered in Sep 11-17th; maybe it is too soon for them to contact me? I am not sure.

Anyway, my main concern is about my trade-in, the offer for my Model 3 expires on Sep 6th and I want to make sure that the new trade offer is fair. I haven't moved my car 1 mile since I got their offer and their offer was generous, $2,500 less than what I paid for 3 years ago. I just don't want to be blindsided by way lower offer. I would like for Tesla to rerun my trade-in offer right now since it would be good to the end of September.
My EDD was 9/6-9/12 and they contacted me yesterday 9/2.