Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery today of a Model S 2021 LR, blue. It’s a fantastic looking car. Standard issues at delivery, some I didn;t catch til later. Example: The interior molding between the driver door and windshield isn’t secured properly. Really annoying. Going to wait a few days and see what else I can see and then go back for the fixes.

I drove home with the key cards and was told I could activate the key fobs then. So I removed the paper from the key fobs, sealed them back up with the batteries, and then tried to activate them. But it didn;t work. It’s odd … I followed these steps:

1. Went to controls / locks in the menu
2. Pressed +
3. put the key fob in the charging area where they tell you to
4. It prompted me to put the already activated key card there now, so I did
5. Nothing happens, and eventually times out

I drove home with the key card, so I am really confused on this.

Other first impressions:

1. The yoke is cool, and I am getting used to it already (hardest part is big turns)
2. I don’t miss the stalks already
3. The new screen is awesome and it is very responsive
4. Drives great
5. Had to go through all the settings to figure out which I wanted enabled - so that took some time, but was mostly fun (some are confusing)
6. Needs a software update - so now I wait :)

Congratulations! That front rubber molding is awful. Can’t believe they didn’t fix prior to delivery.
In fairness to them, I did rush the delivery a bit - trying to get it to the PPF shop before it closed. They offered to fix a couple things there and I told them I’d just schedule an apt to do it later

Sounds like you've def thought it through. I considered refinance type option as well, but in my case, when all was said and done with my research, what made best financial sense for me was pursuit of the 1.24% (that apparently Tesla will match..if not, no worries) from here as it appears a popular option.

More background

They matched my DCU rate no issues.

So strange Im getting my car next Monday and have not heard from anyone. Will I get a call?Can't imagine not being on this forum as that is the only reason I know anything about the pick up process.
I’m scheduled to pickup tomorrow and never received a call from the SC in Charlotte. I just kept calling the customer service number and spoke with someone every few days to make sure everything was on schedule.

Picked up this evening! Had some delivery delays, but it arrived around noon today, and they were able to release it by 4PM.

Overall, it’s…… INCREDIBLE… I laughed uncontrollably when I first punched it, and had an enormous smile from ear to ear!

Several have given their perspectives, and I have the same feelings while driving, about the yolk, etc.

Pleasant surprises:
- It came with the key fabs and parcel shelf

As far as quality issue - none were surprising:
- back seats had a lot of wrinkles
- fair amount of rubber molding fit issues around doors, hood
- passenger side view mirror pain’t isn’t great
- scraped undercarriage
Curious about the seats and rubber molding. It seems like the two very common things. Replacement? Noted and replace if it gets worse? What did they say?

And congratulations! Enjoy it.

Picked up this evening! Had some delivery delays, but it arrived around noon today, and they were able to release it by 4PM.

Overall, it’s…… INCREDIBLE… I laughed uncontrollably when I first punched it, and had an enormous smile from ear to ear!

Several have given their perspectives, and I have the same feelings while driving, about the yolk, etc.

Pleasant surprises:
- It came with the key fabs and parcel shelf

As far as quality issue - none were surprising:
- back seats had a lot of wrinkles
- fair amount of rubber molding fit issues around doors, hood
- passenger side view mirror pain’t isn’t great
- scraped undercarriage
Congrats! The car looks incredible! As far as the first two issues are concerned, you can get them fixed by putting in a request through your Tesla app.
I had the same two issues and got the molding fixed all around as well as a new rear seat since it had a lot of wrinkling.

Curious about the seats and rubber molding. It seems like the two very common things. Replacement? Noted and replace if it gets worse? What did they say?

And congratulations! Enjoy it.
Thanks! They said the only things that really needed to be noted there were scratches, chips, scrapes, other damage that could easily be done after leaving - but that trim / fit, etc, didn’t need to be noted immediately, and I could just schedule a service to fix those. For the trim, likely just fixing it, for the seats, those might need to get replaced.

Finally! I have a car!

Attachments

• 7F2288C4-3742-4FC1-B17A-AF74ABBC070D.jpeg
    7F2288C4-3742-4FC1-B17A-AF74ABBC070D.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 3439CB5A-340B-43BF-AA36-59538352B589.jpeg
    3439CB5A-340B-43BF-AA36-59538352B589.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 76
Yup, I've been keeping an eye on inventory available for immediate sale, but it turns out that it would actually be better if Tesla's EDD of Jan-Feb ends up being correct, as I need that much time to arrange to pay for it the way I'd like to.

In an attempt to head off the inevitable "how are you paying for it?" "You're financing it??? What are you thinking, man?" "You're an idiot to finance a car!" type of thread depreciation, I'll just state the following...

Yes, I *could* pay cash for the car. But like most people, my "cash" isn't in "cash." It's in investments. Stocks, to be specific. And I don't want to sell any of my current portfolio to pay for a car.

So the option becomes financing, as most (luckily) of my investments are performing better than the interest rate on a car loan, then the choice is car loan, right? Nope. I have enough equity in our house to refinance it, take out a bit of equity, and end up "financing" the car at a much lower interest rate (ie, the primary mortgage), stretch it out over a longer period of time, and even write the interest off on my taxes, since the car will be "financed" through the primary mortgage of our principal residence. And of course, there's the option to pay it back more quickly if I so desire (and, in fact, I do).

There's a bunch of different ways to pay for a car.... this is just the one that makes the most sense for my particular situation. Again, there are a lot of options. This is the one I chose. And yes, I'm aware of the alternatives. ;) So many "money managers" here on TMC!

"But if you do it like this!!!!!!...." Hush, you. I'm not on a financial forum, I'm on a CAR forum. But thanks for your good intentions. :)

Anyway, it's going to take a few months to get the mortgage done.
idk if anyone says you're an idiot for financing. you're probably more so not to. money is cheap right now. much better to have it in investments then cash into a car... you can make much more on that money than 2.9% at the highest tesla loan right now.

Don’t feel guilty about spending money on a nice car. It’s way more satisfying than spending money on investments 🥱. You work hard, so enjoy it.. Besides real estate, what else are we supposed to spend money on? Lots of Women spend money on shoes; Men spend money on watches and art. I like cars 😍
Haha - I never understood that whole shoe thing. Ewwwww
Gimme some good tech to spend my cash on anytime! So much more fun - and definitely more comfortable.