Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear we're all having a pretty similar experience, at least with regard to constantly changing estimated delivery dates. I'm actually more surprised when about 10 days go by and I haven't seen an update. As to why it's happening and whether or not it has to do with sending the cars that are ready off to the highest bidder, I have no idea.

What I'm more sure about is that Tesla woke up the car industry and there are some big names with absolutely rock solid automotive manufacturing practices ready to eat Elon's lunch if he can't figure out how to scale manufacturing and treat his early adopters/first wave customers with more decency.

I really have no idea why the board of directors hasn't demanded that the company's leadership go poach any successful car company's directors of manufacturing and customer experience. It could possibly have something to do with the fact that nobody on the board has any experience in automobile manufacturing either.

Hey Elon--if you're reading this, I'll do the job! We want you to succeed! We're here because we believe in the brand and know the engineering is top-tier! Listen to us! Let us help!

</rant>

Cry me a river. Get in line.
I'm not crying, and I've been in line for nearly 8 months. Do you enjoy being rude to random strangers who have done nothing to you?

I tried AP on my lunch break just to show a coworker. As it approached a red light, at 40MPH, it warned me of the red light, the break pedal icon popped up in red, an audible warning played, and I had to apply the breaks.

How can it do all of this, but NOT stop the car without my assistance? I don't think this is ever going to be more than a novelty for me. I don't trust AP.
I gave Tesla similar feedback in 2016 when AP came out. Bastards haven’t fixed it yet! I do use AP a lot though!

I'm not crying, and I've been in line for nearly 8 months. Do you enjoy being rude to random strangers who have done nothing to you?
@Marcseamon I was being sarcastic and apologize if I hurt your feelings. IMO, it is a bit shallow for your first post into a 3600 page long Model S delivery chat room containing reams of similar and even sadder stories, and seek instant sympathy from this group. I’ve been waiting 10 months and some have been waiting over a year. Welcome to the misery-loves-company thread. As a since-departed colleague once said, some of us will only be here until we get our S, then will leave the rest of you in your time of need. Others stay and brag about their peacocks.

After 3 Weeks holding EDD 10/24 - 11/13 it finally updated to a 2 weeks EDD window.

Lets hope for the best.

1634129569144.png

I am in a similar situation. My date slipped yesterday to October 29 - November 26. I honestly have no clue. Maybe it's the config (white interior), maybe it's the price (I also have the original price). Whatever it is, it's frustrating and I completely get you. On top of that, I keep on reading that Tesla produces a record number of cars. But why not those that have been ordered 9 months ago?

Did anyone take a closer look at the Lucid? Since they opened a showroom in New York, I thought about stopping by and taking a closer look (and feel). Other EVs generally don't excite me, but the Lucid might be worth a closer look.
I had an order in for a the Grand touring prior to ordering the SLR. I canceled the order, primarily because the price of the Lucid is not going to be anywhere near that of the S. Even with the 7500 incentive. They will charge extra for uplifted audio, they seem to charge extra for the ABILITY to do the equal of FSD (where Tesla includes the hardware already), in addition there were other "options" that Tesla just includes. They do not list the prices and could not tell me what they would be. Without clarity of delivery or price I canceled and went to tesla.

Wow that’s surprising and not really in the spirit of progress.
Agreed--I think Tesla needs to win on performance engineering, not boxing out the competition from charging stations which are occupying a limited resource (the land where they sit). Can you imagine how messy it would be if you could only gas up your ICE at a Ford/Toyota/GM gas station and Mercedes already had a station at every street corner? I can't see the feds letting that stand for very long.

Now they can't force Tesla to change the supercharger design to accommodate other manufacturers, so I don't know how adaptability will work. Who's our resident IP attorney?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I ordered my MS plaid March 3 2021 and am still being strung along with continually changing estimated delivery dates. Most recently it went from Oct 19-30 to Oct 24-nov 21. Is anyone having the same experience? I am wondering how many people ordered later than me but already have their cars. Beginning to think they don't want to fill my order because I locked the price in before the $10K price increase and/or because I leased rather than bought. Why would they be in a hurry to deliver my car when there are plenty of people who ordered at a higher price? Unfair but logical.
I feel the same way about my LR that I ordered on 4-Feb at $10K lower than today's price. I have seen others with the exact same config get their car already (who ordered after the price increase).

Agreed--I think Tesla needs to win on performance engineering, not boxing out the competition from charging stations which are occupying a limited resource (the land where they sit). Can you imagine how messy it would be if you could only gas up your ICE at a Ford/Toyota/GM gas station and Mercedes already had a station at every street corner? I can't see the feds letting that stand for very long.

Now they can't force Tesla to change the supercharger design to accommodate other manufacturers, so I don't know how adaptability will work. Who's our resident IP attorney?
I don't think the government can force Tesla to let others use their charging network. What they CAN do is establish a standard for a charging port, and then let capitalism take over with third parties setting up charging stations at established gas stations. This will allow the convenient stores to stay in business as the infrastructure switches from gas to electric.

Most of us here are old enough to remember having to choose between leaded and unleaded pumps for decades. I think the transition to electric will be very similar.

I had an order in for a the Grand touring prior to ordering the SLR. I canceled the order, primarily because the price of the Lucid is not going to be anywhere near that of the S. Even with the 7500 incentive. They will charge extra for uplifted audio, they seem to charge extra for the ABILITY to do the equal of FSD (where Tesla includes the hardware already), in addition there were other "options" that Tesla just includes. They do not list the prices and could not tell me what they would be. Without clarity of delivery or price I canceled and went to tesla.
The price is definitely a notch higher. And I am not sure if that is really reflected in the build quality as others claim. I will follow @Tigers advice and check it out. The showroom is open to anyone during the week (on the weekend it's only for reservation holders).

I did a lot of research on the MS and drove it a few times. It's an outstanding car that just saw the refresh I was hoping for to place the order. And IMHO it's lightyears ahead of the traditional OEMs. Looking at their EVs reminds me of the "lipstick on a pig" meme - they are still very much like ICE cars, just with a few tweaks here and there, a mediocre battery, and an electric motor. Those OEMs rely on their reputation, their loyal clients, and their network to sell, not by introducing cutting-edge features and performance.

And one last thought about the complaining/bitching/ranting/apologies/theories: That is part of the waiting game. What else are you going to do?

The price is definitely a notch higher. And I am not sure if that is really reflected in the build quality as others claim. I will follow @Tigers advice and check it out. The showroom is open to anyone during the week (on the weekend it's only for reservation holders).

I did a lot of research on the MS and drove it a few times. It's an outstanding car that just saw the refresh I was hoping for to place the order. And IMHO it's lightyears ahead of the traditional OEMs. Looking at their EVs reminds me of the "lipstick on a pig" meme - they are still very much like ICE cars, just with a few tweaks here and there, a mediocre battery, and an electric motor. Those OEMs rely on their reputation, their loyal clients, and their network to sell, not by introducing cutting-edge features and performance.

And one last thought about the complaining/bitching/ranting/apologies/theories: That is part of the waiting game. What else are you going to do?
Have you been in the new S? If you thought the previous ones were great, it's next level inside.😄👌⚡⚡⚡

Nope, not yet. I have only seen the videos. And I will wait until delivery day to get into one. I am teaching delayed gratification to my kids and live by that mantra, too. Lol.
Ok awesome lol. To me it finally feels the price; it really looks and feels like a $100,000 car now to me.
(Obviously your opinion may vary if you're used to really really nice cars like top of the line S classes, BMW 7 series, etc...)

Nope, not yet. I have only seen the videos. And I will wait until delivery day to get into one. I am teaching delayed gratification to my kids and live by that mantra, too. Lol.
Happy to meet up and let you check it out if you’re interested. Not sure where you are in NJ but I’m close to SE PA/NJ border. DM if interested.

Happy to meet up and let you check it out if you’re interested. Not sure where you are in NJ but I’m close to SE PA/NJ border. DM if interested.
Thanks, man. I might come back to that if delivery is pushed much further out. I am probably not too far away - I'm across the river from NYC.

I was thinking that once most deliveries have happened we could organize a TMC-MS meetup. I'd be happy to organize. It would be great to meet, share experiences, ideas, and also to do the victory laps.

I don't think the government can force Tesla to let others use their charging network. What they CAN do is establish a standard for a charging port, and then let capitalism take over with third parties setting up charging stations at established gas stations. This will allow the convenient stores to stay in business as the infrastructure switches from gas to electric.

Most of us here are old enough to remember having to choose between leaded and unleaded pumps for decades. I think the transition to electric will be very similar.
Thanks for the explanation and the context. I suppose I had it wrong--it'll be easier for the feds to enforce compatibility than right of usage.

I don't quite remember leaded gas because I was eight when it was banned, but I can definitely see the parallels with regard to the transition to primarily electric charging. Sounds like it'll be a fair enough way to go; I'm generally a big fan of capitalism working things out.

Thanks, man. I might come back to that if delivery is pushed much further out. I am probably not too far away - I'm across the river from NYC.

I was thinking that once most deliveries have happened we could organize a TMC-MS meetup. I'd be happy to organize. It would be great to meet, share experiences, ideas, and also to do the victory laps.
Me and a few other NYC local guys have already met up a few times, but the more the merrier!

Two random questions today as (for the third time) I reach the 1 month mark out from my delivery window, now Nov 14-Dec 4...

1) Anyone still playing the lowest interest rate game for a 60-month loan? It looks like rates for most accessible (e.g. CU but not financing have moved to 150-175bps from the summer lows. Stanford CU now advertising 174bps. Anyone recently secured 150 or lower? BAML is offering 179 and is easy to get for me so I'm tempted by the path of least resistance, but I want the spread...

2) I asked this a while back but didn't get an answer from an owner. My Model 3 headlights are amazing; how disappointed will I be by the Model S headlights? I live in a city so "average or better" is fine, but I hate dim headlights - they stress me out.

Thanks friends! Oh, a bonus question, is the man/myth/legend known only as SFLGator permanently gone???